The Pirate's Daughter by Margaret…

The Pirate's Daughter (2007)

by Margaret Cezair-Thompson

Birthday gift from my Mom-In-Law!
  capriciousreader | Mar 20, 2018 |
People and places change. These changes are not always easy. Change can become a time of brutality, a time to deal with death and a time to choose whether to go or stay. In this case, it is Jamaica and an island named Navy Island. There is a mother and daughter, Idea and May. There are movie stars, spies and apples and bananas galore. It is a place of beauty reaching its sunset. ( )
  Tea58 | Jul 26, 2017 |
This was an odd read. The premise is that Errol Flynn, after building a house for himself in Jamaica, gets involved with a very young wman who ends up having his child - a daughter named May. May grows to adulthood on the island at the same time that Jamaica itself is going through political turmoil - some kind of parallel there, I guess. The book is so stuffed with characters and events - some more interesting than others - that ultimately, the Flynn connection was the least meaningful thing about it.

laurenbufferd | Nov 14, 2016 |
What if......?

I listened to the abridged audio-book version of this novel and, judging by other people's comments about the book being too long and dragging, that was probably a good choice. I really enjoyed my version and was quickly immersed in the relationship between sixteen-year-old Ida and the charismatic Errol Flynn. (I had to Google him, just to see if he was as good looking as everyone made out.) I also benefited from having the Jamaican dialect read to me correctly, which was much more seamless than trying to read it colloquially.

This is one of those books where a real life character is involved, living on an Island where he landed after his boat was washed ashore in 1946. However, he did not meet a coloured Jamaican girl named Ida and they did not have a daughter (May). Sort of like a 'what-if' tale. But it was a good basis for a story about glamour, aspirations for something better and the fall-out. It also covered an interesting period of Jamaica's history.

Ida is the daughter of a mixed marriage and her father, Eli, becomes indispensable to Errol when he arrives on the island. He tells her about this character from Hollywood and she can't wait to meet him. Errol is in trouble back home, for dallying with under-age girls, so he is in no hurry to return. It is not hard to imagine that Ida might have caught his eye.

Their daughter May, however, only meets her father once, and she is raised partly by Ida and partly by foster parents while Ida works away from home. This book is her retelling of her life story - daughter of the swashbuckling pirate, Errol Flynn. ( )
  DubaiReader | Jul 7, 2015 |
I loved this book. It was beautfully written, the description of the scenery was eloquent. You could close your eyes and imagine you were there. The portrayal of the characters was wonderful and so intriguing. This is not the usual type of book I'd read, but it was recommended to me and I'm glad it was. ( )
  IceMaiden786 | May 31, 2014 |
In memory of Louis Broman

WINNER OF THE ESSENCE LITERARY AWARD IN FICTION

In 1946, Hollywood’s most famous swashbuckler, Errol Flynn, arrived in Jamaica in a storm-ravaged boat. After a long and celebrated career on the silver screen, Flynn spent the last years of his life on a small island off the Jamaican coast, where he fell in love with the people, the paradisiacal setting, and the privacy, and brought a touch of Tinseltown glamour to the West Indian community.

Based on those years, The Pirate’s Daughter imagines an affair between the aging matinee star and Ida, a beautiful local girl. Flynn’s affections are unpredictable but that doesn’t stop Ida from dreaming of a life with him, especially after the birth of their daughter, May.

Margaret Cezair-Thompson weaves stories of mothers and daughters, fathers and lovers, country and kin, into this compelling, dual-generational coming-of-age tale of two women struggling to find their way in a nation wrestling with its own independence.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:03:17 -0400)

A fictional account of the years the movie star Errol Flynn spent on Navy Island, off the coast of Jamaica, tells of his affair with a young teenager and May, their love child.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Margaret Cezair-Thompson's book The Pirate's Daughter was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,127,874 books! | Top bar: Always visible