Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

Along Came a Spider by James Patterson

Along Came a Spider

by James Patterson

Series: Alex Cross (1)

English (112)  Spanish (2)  French (1)  All languages (115)
I was blown away by the first book in the Alex Cross Series.

Alex Cross is an intelligent Police Officer and Psychologist, with a heart.
I was happy that he was a person of colour as more courageous main characters
need to be. This book does discuss racism in subtle bursts in the ways of inter-
racial relationships, and how the murders of people of colour are not always
deemed as important as those of the two rich white kids that go missing early
on in the story.

I love Cross' determination to fight for justice, to ensure that the murdered
African-American family is avenged. Patterson covers many important themes
in this novel and I can't wait to read the rest of the thrillers in this series.

Recommended for those that care deeply about justice in the world, and for those
with an interest in abnormal psychology. ( )
  Daxmunro | Dec 31, 2018 |
Thrilling book that gives a sense of wanting to know what happens next, and wanting to know what happens to the characters after the final page. There however are moments when the writing gets a little jumbled leading the reader to get confused as to what is happening as well as some chapters in which it is unclear whose voice is telling the story. ( )
  Preston.Kringle | Nov 23, 2018 |
Thank goodness the Alex Cross books weren't even remotely close to being lousy, unlike the recent movie of the same name ( )
  Eternal.Optimist | Aug 22, 2018 |
In Along Came A Spider, Alex Cross is a Washington, D.C. homicide investigator and forensic psychologist who is placed on a case where a family of three is found brutally murdered and mutilated in the ghetto. Shortly after, at a prestigious grade school a teacher named Gary Soneji kidnaps two children. Maggie Rose Dunne is the daughter of a famous actress and Michael Goldberg is the son of wealthy parents. Cross is pulled off the murder case to work on the high-profile kidnapping. This upsets him because he knows it’s unfair that the murder of the black family from a low-income neighborhood is swept under the rug while the kidnapping of the rich white children is on the front news.

Cross starts to work on the kidnapping case with FBI agent Jezzie Flannagan. The two hit it off right away as the hunt for the kidnapper continues. Not too long after, they find out the kidnapping and the murder case are connected. What ensues is a cat and mouse chase as the cops race against time to hopefully find and save the kidnapped children. The story is told through alternating POV’s from the main characters including the kidnapper.

I enjoyed this thrill ride all the way. I liked the writing, it has heart and I would find passages that were scary yet others that were sweet. It was perfectly balanced.

James Patterson pulls you right along through the story, he creates a diverse cast of characters and a thrilling chase for the killer with a plot full of twists and turns that I didn’t see coming. The storytelling was great and the characterization was on point. There’s a detective you root for right off the bat, a creepy serial killer, a love interest and courtroom drama all wrapped up in one. Plus the vintage 1990’s feel to the story is the icing on the cake. I also found it brilliant how the author weaves in issues of class status, sexism in the workplace and race into the plot.

disclaimer: This review is my honest opinion. I did not receive any kind of compensation for reading and reviewing this book. I am under no obligation to write a positive review. I purchased my copy of Along Came A Spider by James Patterson.
https://bookwormnai.wordpress.com/2018/07/28/along-came-a-spider-by-james-patter... ( )
  bookworm_naida | Aug 7, 2018 |
UGH, time of my life I'll never get back! I'll admit this book started out promising but quickly got stale. At a certain point I didn't care who lived or died and I never felt any real affinity towards the "hero" of the story, Alex Cross. A kidnapping case quickly spirals out of control as the body count rises and the "madman" they're after seems to have some serious mental health issues (or does he?!). Alex Cross soon finds himself obsessing over the case; when he's not thinking about the case he's boning a co-worker and neglecting his two children that he leaves at home with his grandma. Reading this book did not make me ever want to read another book in the Alex Cross series. Not only was it meh, it was just a little too over the top at times or to on the nose. Pass.... ( )
  ecataldi | Aug 2, 2018 |

James Pattersonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Bentolila, D. N.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Bihari, Györgysecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Charles TurnerNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Cumpstey, MichaelReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
David, KeithReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sappinen, Jorma-VaikkoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The Charles Lindbergh farmhouse glowed with bright, orangish lights.
This is a collection of 18 novels, please do *not* combine this with any other collections.

ISBN 0446692638 is just for Along Came a Spider.

The crimes of the century.
The manhunt of the century.
The trial of the century.

Gary Soneji is a beloved teacher at an elite Washington private school. Soneji is also the murderous serial kidnapper who calls himself Son of Lindbergh, a human monster of such cunning that all of Washington's law enforcement armies can't outsmart him--even after he's been captured.

Alex Cross is a black D.C. homicide detective with a Ph.D. in psychology. He has one obsession--a forbidden love afair with the white female supervisor of Washington's Secret Service. And he has one mission--find what powers Gary Soneji's madness before the elusive terror strikes all too close to home.

The classic thriller that launched the Alex Cross series, the #1 detective series of the past twenty-five years!

A missing little girl named Maggie Rose . . . a family of three brutally murdered in the projects of Washington, D.C. . . . the thrill-killing of a beautiful elementary school teacher . . . a psychopathic serial kidnapper/murderer who is so terrifying that the FBI, the Secret Service, and the police cannot outsmart him - even after he's been captured.

Gary Soneji wants to commit the crime of the century. Alex Cross is the brilliant homicide detective pitted against him. Jezzie Flanagan is the first female supervisor of the Secret Service who completes one of the most unusual suspense triangles in any thriller you have ever read.

Alex Cross and Jezzie Flanagan are about to have a forbidden love affair--at the worst possible time for both of them. Because Gary Soneji is playing at the top of his game. The latest of the unspeakable crimes happens in Alex Cross's precinct. It happens under the noses of Jezzie Flanagan's men. Now Alex Cross must face the ultimate test: How do you outmaneuver a brilliant psychopath?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:04:56 -0400)

Washington, D.C., police detective Alex Cross becomes caught up in a kidnapping case that may involve Gary Soneji, a teacher at an elite private school who is also a schizophrenic psychopath and serial murderer.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,475,701 books! | Top bar: Always visible