Along Came a Spider (Alex Cross) by James…

Along Came a Spider (Alex Cross) (edition 2003)

by James Patterson

4,235None1,169 (3.69)52
Member:Gracelovsbks
Title:Along Came a Spider (Alex Cross)
Authors:James Patterson
Info:Grand Central Publishing (2003), Paperback, 464 pages
Collections:Read but unowned, Your library
Rating:***
Tags:fiction, read in 2012, e-NYPL

Along Came a Spider by James Patterson

Recently added byprivate library, jnyeager, smitha_1988, col2910, cgs97, JDQ, telleft

English (77)  French (1)  All languages (78)
I have read 8 James Patterson books and many of them had the killers POV somewhere in the book which I am very fond of. This book did it the best thus far. I felt like I was two steps ahead of Alex Cross and I'm trying not to yell at the book "NO YOU'VE GOT IT ALL WRONG, THIS IS ACTUALLY WHAT HE IS DOING." I also liked that Patterson knew exactly where to cut off the killers POV so we could be in the dark and have to wait until the truth was revealed. The characters were well thought out and well written and I can't wait to read more from this series. The thing that I liked most about this book and that I will like about this series is that the main character is a POC. ( )
  beearedee | Mar 18, 2014 |
Very good! Really exciting. I suppose I'm going to have to read a lot more of Alex Cross! ( )
  GTTexas | Feb 22, 2014 |
For some reason, I stopped reading this series around book 9 or 10. I've continued to purchase them as they are released and my wife has read them all, so I decided that the best thing to do was to start over from the beginning.

This was actually the second Alex Cross (and James Patterson) book that I read. For some reason, I read Kiss the Girls shortly after it's release. I distinctly remembered that Along Came a Spider had a very different feel from Kiss the Girls and most of Patterson's later works.

Turns out, I remembered correctly. Along Came a Spider still has a lot of the Patterson feel to it, but it seems to move at a bit slower pace than his subsequent novels. Don't get me wrong there is still plenty of action and lots of plot twists, it just seems that Patterson let's things take a little more time to develop.

Overall, I thought that it was a really good book. Patterson's works will never be mistaken for high-brow literature, but they are fun to read and you never quite know where he's going to take you. This novel does a great job of introducing Alex Cross & Co. and the villain is one of his best. ( )
  StefanY | Dec 2, 2013 |
I can't even say enough good things about this book. I loved it so much. I picked up this book because I really love reading a series. Something about reading a book, finishing it, and knowing exactly what book to read next. I very vaguely attempting to read these books when I was 12, and 13. I never really got through one because I was too young, and I couldn't really appreciate what was going on.
This book was phenomenal. The writing is amazing, but what else could be expected from James Patterson. The way the characters were presented, and then slowly changed by the end was flawlessly done. There was enough suspense to keep me flipping the pages, but not enough to keep me up at night. The ending provided that jaw dropping turn that I so desperately love. This book had everything. I cannot wait to read the second one, and so on. ( )
  ArielMarie | Oct 15, 2013 |
EDITORIAL REVIEW: The spectacular international bestseller that introduced Washington-based homicide detective Alex Cross and launched James Patterson's career as one of the fastest-selling thriller writers in the world -- now reissued in striking new cover style. He had always wanted to be famous. When he kidnapped two well-known rich kids, it was headline news. Then one of them was found -- dead -- and the whole nation was in uproar. For such a high-profile case, they needed the top people -- Alex Cross, a black detective with a PhD in psychology, and Jezzie Flanagan, an ambitious young Secret Service agent -- yet even they were no match for the killer. He had the unnerving ability to switch from blood-crazed madness to clear-eyed sanity in an instant. But was he the helpless victim of a multiple-personality disorder -- or a brilliant, cold-blooded manipulator?
  Hans.Michel | Sep 13, 2013 |

James Pattersonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bentolila, D. N.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sappinen, Jorma-VaikkoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The Charles Lindbergh farmhouse glowed with bright, orangish lights.

Excellent detective mystery! I would highly recommend this books with the character, Alex Cross to family and friends.

The classic thriller that launched the Alex Cross series, the #1 detective series of the past twenty-five years!

A missing little girl named Maggie Rose . . . a family of three brutally murdered in the projects of Washington, D.C. . . . the thrill-killing of a beautiful elementary school teacher . . . a psychopathic serial kidnapper/murderer who is so terrifying that the FBI, the Secret Service, and the police cannot outsmart him - even after he's been captured.

Gary Soneji wants to commit the crime of the century. Alex Cross is the brilliant homicide detective pitted against him. Jezzie Flanagan is the first female supervisor of the Secret Service who completes one of the most unusual suspense triangles in any thriller you have ever read.

Alex Cross and Jezzie Flanagan are about to have a forbidden love affair--at the worst possible time for both of them. Because Gary Soneji is playing at the top of his game. The latest of the unspeakable crimes happens in Alex Cross's precinct. It happens under the noses of Jezzie Flanagan's men. Now Alex Cross must face the ultimate test: How do you outmaneuver a brilliant psychopath?

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:23:11 -0400)

Washington, D.C., police detective Alex Cross becomes caught up in a kidnapping case that may involve Gary Soneji, a teacher at an elite private school who is also a schizophrenic psychopath and serial murderer.

Four editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,499,593 books! | Top bar: Always visible