Along Came a Spider (Alex Cross) by James…

Along Came a Spider (Alex Cross) (edition 2003)

by James Patterson

Member:Gracelovsbks
Title:Along Came a Spider (Alex Cross)
Authors:James Patterson
Info:Grand Central Publishing (2003), Paperback, 464 pages
Collections:Read but unowned, Your library
Rating:***
Tags:fiction, read in 2012, e-NYPL

Along Came a Spider by James Patterson

English (86)  French (1)  All languages (87)
I wasn't a big fan of the writing style but the story was great. Looking forward to reading more in the series. ( )
  olegalCA | Dec 9, 2014 |
  olegalCA | Dec 9, 2014 |
Purely awful. Problems with continuity. Not believable. I listened to this and felt embarrassed for the reader. ( )
  njcur | Nov 12, 2014 |
I actually preferred the book over the movie. The suspense triangle in this book will leave you guessing until the end. ( )
  SSbooks | Nov 10, 2014 |
Ugh, I did not enjoy this book.

Please note that this review contains SPOILERS and I pretty much ruin the end of the story for anyone who hasn’t read the book!!!

Every single character in this book is an arrogant jerk, including Alex Cross! In the beginning of the book, Cross and his partner are investigating the murder of a family in one of the poorer neighborhoods’ in Washington D.C. called Southeast. The Mayor pulls them from the murder scene after about 15 minutes of investigation to work a kidnapping at a rich private school. Mr. Cross, who has a psychology degree that might prove to be useful in analyzing the motives of the kidnapper and find the kids, is pissed. My question to Mr. Cross: Are you the ONLY detective in the D.C. police force who is capable of solving the Southeast murder case? If so, the D.C. police commissioner really needs to trim the incompetent fat off of their force.

Secondly, I got so sick of reading about how hot Jezzie was. I get it, she's a pretty girl. However, you don't need to remind me every 10 pages of this when you describe yet another "intimate moment" between Alex and Jezzie that says the same thing as the previous 20 “intimate moments.” If you cut about half of the romance scenes and investigations that did not contribute to the actual solving of the case, the book might have been bearable.

Lastly…. James Patterson tells this story from several different perspectives (Alex Cross, Jezzie Flanagan, Gary Soneji/Murphy, and Maggie Rose). However, there are a lot of details that he fails to reveal in order to provide a twist for the reader. Mr. Patterson, if you are going to tell Cross' story in first person, you cannot spring anything he knows later on. It really annoyed me that the author told the story from the psycho’s perspective earlier on and then stopped halfway through the book because Gary Soneji is claiming to be Gary Murphy. I.E. Gary has “multiple personalities.” I don’t know if I, as the reader, was supposed to know that Soneji is full of crap the entire time or really question his sanity. The author also did this from Jezzie’s perspective. He essentially told her back story in the beginning and then her perspective dropped out of the book until the end. I don’t like to be jerked around in a story and prefer the characters be consistent.

I do not recommend this story and cannot understand why the Alex Cross series is so popular. The only positive thing that I can say about this book is that it is well written and the author gives a lot of detail on the characters.

Oh, and it pissed me off that Cross' grandmother, Nana Mama, told him that she doesn't trust white people and that she wanted him to end his relationship with Jezzie. I hate it that she was right about Jezzie because that just supports her racist opinion of white people. ( )
  bjh3038 | Aug 22, 2014 |

James Pattersonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bentolila, D. N.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sappinen, Jorma-VaikkoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The Charles Lindbergh farmhouse glowed with bright, orangish lights.

Excellent detective mystery! I would highly recommend this books with the character, Alex Cross to family and friends.

The classic thriller that launched the Alex Cross series, the #1 detective series of the past twenty-five years!

A missing little girl named Maggie Rose . . . a family of three brutally murdered in the projects of Washington, D.C. . . . the thrill-killing of a beautiful elementary school teacher . . . a psychopathic serial kidnapper/murderer who is so terrifying that the FBI, the Secret Service, and the police cannot outsmart him - even after he's been captured.

Gary Soneji wants to commit the crime of the century. Alex Cross is the brilliant homicide detective pitted against him. Jezzie Flanagan is the first female supervisor of the Secret Service who completes one of the most unusual suspense triangles in any thriller you have ever read.

Alex Cross and Jezzie Flanagan are about to have a forbidden love affair--at the worst possible time for both of them. Because Gary Soneji is playing at the top of his game. The latest of the unspeakable crimes happens in Alex Cross's precinct. It happens under the noses of Jezzie Flanagan's men. Now Alex Cross must face the ultimate test: How do you outmaneuver a brilliant psychopath?

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:23:11 -0400)

Washington, D.C., police detective Alex Cross becomes caught up in a kidnapping case that may involve Gary Soneji, a teacher at an elite private school who is also a schizophrenic psychopath and serial murderer.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,330,932 books! | Top bar: Always visible