Veganomicon: The Ultimate Vegan Cookbook by…

Veganomicon: The Ultimate Vegan Cookbook (edition 2007)

by Isa Chandra Moskowitz, Terry Hope Romero

Other authors:Terry Hope Romero
Info:Da Capo Lifelong Books (2007), Hardcover, 336 pages
Tags:Veganism

Veganomicon: The Ultimate Vegan Cookbook by Isa Chandra Moskowitz

Recently added bynenasfilla, S.D., QueenSabine, kkotten, PBCO, quantzalcoatl, stancliff, private library

I had high hopes for this cookbook, thinking it might just become the Betty Crocker Cookbook of my vegan kitchen. Not so. Here Isa displays her penchant for quirky techniques and unnecessarily difficult-to-find ingredients. Gone is the punk rock simplicity of her first book Vegan with a Vengeance. That's not to say there aren't decent recipes in here, but on the whole I prefer her first book. ( )
  S.D. | Apr 4, 2014 |
I haven't yet gotten around to reviewing this cookbook - but you can see some of the dishes I've made from Veganomicon here: http://www.easyvegan.info/tag/veganomicon/
  smiteme | Oct 14, 2013 |
recommended for: all cookbook collectors, all vegans & vegetarians and those who enjoy delicious food

Well, for some reason I thought that this was going to be more like a thorough vegan Joy of Cooking type book but it isn’t quite so comprehensive. However; it is great, and I didn’t end up being disappointed.

Only cons:
1. all the photos are in the middle of the book vs. on the recipe pages
2. for my taste too long vegetable steaming times given (although possibly they & I are thinking of different sized pieces of veggies)
3. and most importantly: the authors don’t have a restaurant serving these recipes where I live in San Francisco ☺

Pros:
1. all of the recipes (except for those that contain foods I don’t like: seiten, tempeh, capers, vinegar, mustard, a few other ingredients) look delicious
2. such easy instructions for all the recipes and in general
3. while at first the book didn’t appear attractive to me, as I read it, I changed my mind: it has a great layout and it was easy to read and I decided I did like its appearance
4. very helpful icons for applicable recipes: soy free, gluten free, low fat/reduced fat, under 45 minutes, supermarket friendly
5. creative and practical recipe organization and table of contents (I was going to list the table of contents outline in my review because I like it so much, but instead I encourage others to buy, borrow, look at the book for themselves)
6. very informative with just the right amount of humor: I like humorous cookbooks; this wasn’t one of the funniest but it’s not meant to be silly,
and it also contains a smattering of Yiddish words (there was at least one, I think more) and a few vegan versions of what I think of as Jewish comfort food – loved it!

Just some of the recipes I’d like to eat (and all look possible for even me to cook given the terrific instructions): Spinach-Noodle Kugel, Baked Potato and Greens Soup with Potato-Wedge Croutons, Cauliflower and Mushroom Pot Pie with Black Olive Crust, Grilled Yuka Tortillas, Potato and Kale Enchiladas with Roasted Chile Sauce, Broccoli Millet Croquettes, Black Bean Burgers, Spaghetti and Beanballs, Beanball Sub, Mexican Millet, Red Lentil-Cauliflower Curry, Acorn Squash Pear and Adzuki Soup with Sautéed Shiitakes, Almond Quinoa Muffins, Mushroom Gravy, Marinara Sauce with combined mushroom and garlic variations, Creamy Kalamata Spread, Holiday Cranberry Sauce, Jalapeno Corn Gravy, Smlove Pie, Jelly Donut Cupcakes, Lower Fat Banana Bread, Maple and Brown Sugar Pinwheels, Wheat Free Chocolate Chip Cookies, Chewy Chocolate Raspberry Cookies, Pistachio-Rose Water Cookies, Lower-Fat Deep Chocolate Bundt Cake, and there are many others as well.

Gosh, writing this has made me way too hungry. I’m usually more of a cookbook reader than a cook, but I am very tempted to make at least some of the above recipes. ( )
1 vote Lisa2013 | Apr 15, 2013 |
No eggs in my cookies any more. ( )
  alycias | Apr 4, 2013 |
One of the best vegan cookbooks I've owned and used. The recipes are delicious and easy to understand. It's a definite must have. ( )
  nu-bibliophile | Mar 30, 2011 |

Isa Chandra Moskowitzprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Romero, Terry HopeAuthormain authorall editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 156924264X, Hardcover)

Who knew vegetables could taste so good? Moskowitz and Romero's newest delicious collection makes it easier than ever to live vegan. You'll find more than 250 recipes--plus menus and stunning color photos--for dishes that will please every palate. All the recipes in Veganomicon have been thoroughly kitchen-tested to ensure user-friendliness and amazing results. And by popular demand, the Veganomicon includes meals for all occasions and soy-free, gluten-free, and low-fat options, plus quick recipes that make dinner a snap. Recipes include:

• Autumn Latkes
• Hot Sauce-Glazed Tempeh
• Black Eyed Pea Collard Rolls
• Chocolate Hazelnut Biscotti
• Pumpkin Crumb Cake with Pecan Streusel

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:47:26 -0400)

VEGAN COOKERY. The essential guide to mastering the art of vegan cooking: It's easy to live vegan 24/7 with this collection: 250 recipes, menus, and color photos for dishes that taste even better than their non-vegan counterparts. Every recipe in Veganomicon has been kitchen-tested a minimum of seven times by the authors and their intensely engaged fans to ensure user-friendliness, quick preparation, and amazing results. In addition to featuring the authors' signature attitude and experimental, DIT philosophy, Veganomicon has been specifically tailored to what readers want most in a cookbook. No other vegan cookbook offer such innovative recipes for all occasions, convenience, easy-to-find ingredients, and gluten-free and tofu-free options.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,501,822 books! | Top bar: Always visible