Jo's Boys by Louisa May Alcott

Jo's Boys (1886)

by Louisa May Alcott

Series: Little Women (3)

Jo’s Boys by Louisa May Alcott is the final volume in her saga about the March sisters. In this book we find all the sisters living close together, with Meg having a small home built on the grounds of Plumfield while Amy and Laurie have built themselves a mansion close by. Plumfield is no longer a small school, but the Professor now is the head of a nearby college and runs it according to his liberal views on education.

We are updated on the lives of all the former pupils, who have become like a family to the Baer’s, returning for visits and staying in touch no matter how their lives grow and change. I was particularly pleased to see that Nan had grown into a strong willed independent woman who is very devoted to her career.

This is a sentimental ending to the story. We see as past characters grown-up, learn life lessons, fall in love, get into trouble and have exciting adventures. At the same time the author gives us a glimpse into her own philosophical leanings, and although Jo’s Boys is very idealistic and a touch too preachy, these flaws are easy for me to overlook as I enjoyed getting closure on these beloved characters. ( )
  DeltaQueen50 | Aug 1, 2017 |
This is my book
  jhawn | Jul 31, 2017 |
While Little Women - Meg, Jo, Beth, and Amy, and Good Wives - was a wholesome and feel-good as ever, Little Men and Jo's Boyss were a sore disappointment. Sadly, the theological commentary was heavy, and the characterization that made the first two installments so endearing was sadly absent, and the plot seemed underdeveloped. For as much as I loved Little Women, I almost wish I hadn't read Little Men and Jo's Boys, because how pale it was in comparison to the original story; it almost ruined the whole thing.
  J9Plourde | Jun 13, 2017 |
Fourth and last in the 'Little Women' series. This book mainly focuses on the school Jo has started for boys, using principles that would have been considered quite radical in those days. A very pleasant read, despite a bit of authoral moralising now and again. ( )
  SueinCyprus | Jan 26, 2016 |
A childhood favorite re-visited.

Is the story as good as I remember? – Yes

What ages would I recommend it too? – Eight and up.

Length? – A couple of evening's reads.

Characters? – Memorable, several characters, Again, three with almost identical names.

Setting? – Late 1800's, mostly at the boy's school, now a college.

Written approximately? – Late 1870's.

Does the story leave questions in the readers mind? – Ready to read more.

Any issues the author (or a more recent publisher) should cover? Yes.
1. Cost and ease of travel
2. Lack of identification for Dan
3. A little more clarity of communications abilities at the time.

Short storyline: A continuation of "Little Men" about ten years later. Lot's of fun as the boys fall in love, and face many temptations they have never faced before. There's hope they are well prepared for the future of the time.

Notes for the reader:
1. Money and income systems are vastly different than modern days.
2. Communications systems are vastly slower, and less reliable.
3. There is no national system for personal identification.
4. Religion plays a major role in decesion making.
  AprilBrown | Feb 25, 2015 |

Louisa May Alcottprimary authorall editionscalculated
Burd, Clara M.Illustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Jambor, LouisIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Paull, GraceIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rossini, GastoneIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Dr Conrad Wesselhoeft
This very inadequate tribute of affection and respect is gratefully inscribed by his friend and patient,
The Author
"If anyone were to have told me what wonderful changes were to take place here in ten years, I wouldn't have believed it," said Mrs. Jo to Mrs. Meg, as they sat on the piazza at Plumfield one summer day, looking about them with faces full of pride and pleasure.
Nan remained a busy, cheerful, independent spinster, and dedicated her life
to her suffering sisters and their children, in which true woman's work she
found abiding happiness.

Best known for the novels Little Women and Little Men, Louisa May Alcott brought the story of her feisty protagonist Jo and the adventures and misadventures of the March family to an entertaining, surprising, and bittersweet conclusion in Jo’s Boys. Beginning ten years after Little Men, Jo’s Boys revisits Plumfield, the New England school still presided over by Jo and her husband, Professor Bhaer. Jo remains at the center of the tale, surrounded by her boys—including rebellious Dan, sailor Emil, and promising musician Nat—as they experience shipwreck and storm, disappointment and even murder.

Popular for over a century, Alcott’s series still holds universal appeal with its powerful and affectionate depiction of family—the haven where the prodigal can always return, adversity is shared, and our dreams of being cherished, despite our flaws, come true. In this edition of Jo’s Boys, readers once again experience a treasured classic by one of America’s best-loved writers.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:36 -0400)

Better known for her novels Little Women and Little Men, Louisa May Alcott continued the story of her feisty protagonist Jo in this final novel chronicling the adventures and misadventures of the March family. Entertaining, surprising, and overall a joy to read, Jo's Boys is nevertheless shaded by a bittersweet tone, for with it Alcott brought her wonderful series to an end. Beginning ten years after Little Men, Jo's Boys revisits Plumfield, the New England school still presided over by Jo and her husband, Professor Bhaer. Jo's boys -- including rebellious Dan, sailor Emil, and promising musicain Nat -- are grown; Jo herself remains at the center of this tale, holding her boys fast through shipwreck and storm, disappointment... and even murder. Popular for more than a century, the series that began with Little Women continues to hold universal appeal with its powerful and affectionate depiction of family -- the safe haven where the prodigal can always return, adversity is never met alone, and our dreams of being cherished, no matter what our flaws, come true. With this new edition of Jo's Boys, readers once again have access to a treasured classic by one of America's best-loved writers.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,686,413 books! | Top bar: Always visible