Jo's Boys by Louisa May Alcott

Jo's Boys (original 1886; edition 2011)

by Louisa May Alcott

Member:outdoorgirl
Title:Jo's Boys
Authors:Louisa May Alcott
Info:CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform (2011), Paperback, 206 pages
Rating:***

Jo's Boys by Louisa May Alcott (1886)

This is the last book in Louisa May Alcott's series about the sisters we first met in Little Women. In this last volume the boys we met in Little Men are nearing adulthood and are starting to strike out into their own lives and stating their own families. It is not nearly as preachy as Little Men, but still does not come near to having the appeal of the initial book about the March sisters. ( )
  etxgardener | Apr 1, 2018 |
Jo’s Boys by Louisa May Alcott is the final volume in her saga about the March sisters. In this book we find all the sisters living close together, with Meg having a small home built on the grounds of Plumfield while Amy and Laurie have built themselves a mansion close by. Plumfield is no longer a small school, but the Professor now is the head of a nearby college and runs it according to his liberal views on education.

We are updated on the lives of all the former pupils, who have become like a family to the Baer’s, returning for visits and staying in touch no matter how their lives grow and change. I was particularly pleased to see that Nan had grown into a strong willed independent woman who is very devoted to her career.

This is a sentimental ending to the story. We see as past characters grown-up, learn life lessons, fall in love, get into trouble and have exciting adventures. At the same time the author gives us a glimpse into her own philosophical leanings, and although Jo’s Boys is very idealistic and a touch too preachy, these flaws are easy for me to overlook as I enjoyed getting closure on these beloved characters. ( )
  DeltaQueen50 | Aug 1, 2017 |
This is my book
  jhawn | Jul 31, 2017 |
While Little Women - Meg, Jo, Beth, and Amy, and Good Wives - was a wholesome and feel-good as ever, Little Men and Jo's Boyss were a sore disappointment. Sadly, the theological commentary was heavy, and the characterization that made the first two installments so endearing was sadly absent, and the plot seemed underdeveloped. For as much as I loved Little Women, I almost wish I hadn't read Little Men and Jo's Boys, because how pale it was in comparison to the original story; it almost ruined the whole thing.
  J9Plourde | Jun 13, 2017 |
This is the final volume about the March family, in the series which began with 'Little Women'. Meg is now about forty, and her sisters a little younger. All families live in the Plumfield grounds, alongside a university founded on co-ed and positive principles, in a way that was quite forward-thinking in the late 1800s when it was first published.

'Jo's Boys' follows the young adult lives of several of the boys who were introduced in the previous book in the series, 'Little Men', and it's well worth reading that first. There are a wide range of adventures as the young men venture out on their own.

Much moralising and some very dated attitudes, of course; but the author's positive values shine through alongside the power of love. Surprisingly moving in places, and if nothing else an excellent example of social history in the US in this era.

I enjoyed this very much, including the final chapter which rings down the curtain on the family and its connections forever, with brief summaries of what happens to everyone.

Note that this is an abridged version, with two entire chapters missing, and a few odd paragraphs here and there; I supplemented it with my free Kindle version from Project Gutenberg which contains the complete text.

Recommended for anyone over the age of about ten or eleven who likes this style of fiction. ( )
  SueinCyprus | Jan 26, 2016 |

Louisa May Alcottprimary authorall editionscalculated
Burd, Clara M.Illustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Jambor, LouisIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Paull, GraceIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rossini, GastoneIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Dr Conrad Wesselhoeft
This very inadequate tribute of affection and respect is gratefully inscribed by his friend and patient,
The Author
"If anyone were to have told me what wonderful changes were to take place here in ten years, I wouldn't have believed it," said Mrs. Jo to Mrs. Meg, as they sat on the piazza at Plumfield one summer day, looking about them with faces full of pride and pleasure.
Nan remained a busy, cheerful, independent spinster, and dedicated her life to her suffering sisters and their children, in which true woman's work she found abiding happiness.

Best known for the novels Little Women and Little Men, Louisa May Alcott brought the story of her feisty protagonist Jo and the adventures and misadventures of the March family to an entertaining, surprising, and bittersweet conclusion in Jo’s Boys. Beginning ten years after Little Men, Jo’s Boys revisits Plumfield, the New England school still presided over by Jo and her husband, Professor Bhaer. Jo remains at the center of the tale, surrounded by her boys—including rebellious Dan, sailor Emil, and promising musician Nat—as they experience shipwreck and storm, disappointment and even murder.

Popular for over a century, Alcott’s series still holds universal appeal with its powerful and affectionate depiction of family—the haven where the prodigal can always return, adversity is shared, and our dreams of being cherished, despite our flaws, come true. In this edition of Jo’s Boys, readers once again experience a treasured classic by one of America’s best-loved writers.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:36 -0400)

Better known for her novels Little Women and Little Men, Louisa May Alcott continued the story of her feisty protagonist Jo in this final novel chronicling the adventures and misadventures of the March family. Entertaining, surprising, and overall a joy to read, Jo's Boys is nevertheless shaded by a bittersweet tone, for with it Alcott brought her wonderful series to an end. Beginning ten years after Little Men, Jo's Boys revisits Plumfield, the New England school still presided over by Jo and her husband, Professor Bhaer. Jo's boys -- including rebellious Dan, sailor Emil, and promising musicain Nat -- are grown; Jo herself remains at the center of this tale, holding her boys fast through shipwreck and storm, disappointment... and even murder. Popular for more than a century, the series that began with Little Women continues to hold universal appeal with its powerful and affectionate depiction of family -- the safe haven where the prodigal can always return, adversity is never met alone, and our dreams of being cherished, no matter what our flaws, come true. With this new edition of Jo's Boys, readers once again have access to a treasured classic by one of America's best-loved writers.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,985,292 books! | Top bar: Always visible