Chester by Melanie Watt

Chester (edition 2009)

by Melanie Watt, Melanie Watt (Illustrations)

Series: Chester (1)

Member:ElenaNikitina
Title:Chester
Authors:Melanie Watt
Other authors:Melanie Watt (Illustrations)
Info:Scholastic (2009), Broché, 32 pages
Rating:*****

Chester by Melanie Watt

Recently added bydavidgn, private library, Keitha.Langston, stottm16, DrQ, caleycopeland, jaime02ag, kirkeet, Ekelle8

English (71)  Japanese (1)  All languages (72)
I enjoyed this story for a couple of reasons, but the biggest reason was the story itself. I really enjoyed how the author wrote the story with Chester the cat changing the story. I also like how the author differentiated her writing and Chester’s writing by using different colored text. I also enjoyed the illustrations in this story because they were fun and increase the engagement in the story. That is why I liked this picture book. ( )
  Ekelle8 | May 1, 2015 |
A funny, funny, laugh out loud book. Chester is a big, fat cat and his personality is even bigger. The illustrator creates an unoriginal dialogue in the with the authors words in black text and Chester's but ins with thick red marker scrawled across the pages. His character and personality come alive off the pages. The book has no real structure or story outcome it is all about Chester and that's what makes the book special. His interruptions and self esteem carry the book as reader's wonder what will he do next. He is a loveable cat that just may make non-readers love to read because they see themselves as a Chester. ( )
  crieder95 | Apr 16, 2015 |
OMG I could not stop laughing. I know, it's probably silly to give a humorous picture book five stars, but I truly thought this was 'amazingly' clever. Don't take my word for it; go to your library and get it for yourself. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Apr 14, 2015 |
I always enjoy books by author Melanie Watt, and this book is no exception. In my opinion, this book is about individuality, expressing yourself, and having some fun. Chester is a big orange cat who keeps butting into this story about a mouse. On every page, we can see the story Melanie Watt is telling, but we can also see Chester's rendition of this story because he has drawn all over each page in red marker. The main character, Chester, is egotistical and hilarious. One each page he draws about how great he is and how the Mouse should leave the house. This character is very well believable because he isn't like the typical compliant character we often read about in children's stories.The illustrations definitely enhance the story because we can see all of Chester's contributions. This is also how Chester communicates with the author, Mrs Watt. The plot then thickens and draws the reader into the story even more. Melanie Watt asks Chester to stop and when he does not, Mrs. Watt takes matters into her own hands. She puts Chester in an outfit he does not approve of and then learns that he should do as he is told. The big idea of this story is that working together has better outcomes than fighting and disagreeing. ( )
  kwhite18 | Apr 6, 2015 |
The story “Chester” by Melanie Watt is a very humorous book . The author attempts to write a story about a mouse but her cat, Chester, decides he wants the story to be about him instead. As Ms. Watt attempts to write the book, Chester uses his red marker to cross out paragraphs, draw on the mouse, and add his own commentary. Eventually, Ms. Watt’s gives in and begins to write about Chester but gets her revenge on him when she writes about him wearing a bright pink dress. Young readers will find this story very amusing and engaging. Chester is a very sassy cat and children will love his sense of humor. This story has a message of “be careful what you wish for” and to not be too selfish. Chester keeps trying to steal all of the attention and eventually it leads to him being “punished”. He has a story written about him but it ends in him having to wear a pink dress, something he had no interest in ever doing. This story would be a really easy one to incorporate within a classroom.I would definitely recommend this book due to its humor and great illustrations. The reader will definitely not be bored.
  akern3 | Apr 4, 2015 |
For Marcos, Eva, Melina and Laya (crossed out)

For Chester because I couldn't have made this book without him. He's the smartest, most handsome cat in the world. I wish I could be lie him someday.
Once upon a time there was a mouse.

A self-centered cat named Chester keeps interrupting his owner as she tries to write a story about a mouse.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,070,559 books! | Top bar: Always visible