Chester by Melanie Watt

Chester (edition 2009)

by Melanie Watt, Melanie Watt (Illustrations)

Series: Chester (1)

Member:ElenaNikitina
Title:Chester
Authors:Melanie Watt
Other authors:Melanie Watt (Illustrations)
Info:Scholastic (2009), Broché, 32 pages
Rating:*****

Chester by Melanie Watt

English (65)  Japanese (1)  All languages (66)
This book was allegedly supposed to be about a mouse who lived in a house in the country, but somehow during it's production it was hijacked by an assertive cat named Chester, who "edited" the author's story with a red marker to make it more about him. The author and Chester interacted throughout the story, and I really liked the non traditional format that this interaction created. The amount of textual feature in this book is enormous; the illustrations the author made were critical to the story, and even more important were the "changes" that Chester made with his red marker, which basically drove the story. The author finally gave in to Chester and made the story about him, but "struck back" by writing in to the story that Chester loved wearing a pink tutu. I really liked this book because of it's humor and ingenuity, but the message of this book was somewhat unclear to me. I believe the central message of this book was to not be a narcissist, and that trying to make everything about you can sometimes backfire, as it did to Chester.

Reading level: grades 1-3 ( )
  AdamLarson | Dec 9, 2014 |
I would use this story to introduce point of view to my students. As groups they would discuss what they heard in the story and who they think the point of view is from. ( )
  hollyegirard | Nov 29, 2014 |
This book provides a lot of clues to help the reader read with the correct type of expression. This book also, is a great book to look at the cat and mouse's point of views.This book could be used to help readers make and confirm predictions. ( )
  Spinea1 | Nov 29, 2014 |
Summary:

In this book the author, Melanie, is trying to tell a story about a mouse who lived int he country, However here vain cat Chester keeps interjecting in the story using a big red marker to change the story and make it all about himself. Melanie is more and more annoyed with his interruptions until she finally agrees to make her story about Chester. Melanie humiliates Chester by telling as story in which he wears pink tutus. Chester then promises to take vengeance.

Review:
I am not sure what to make of this book. It is certainly not a literary master piece. However it has a certain charm that makes it really enjoyable to read. The way the author constructs the story is very clever. She has written a story about a cat that writes about himself. Even from very little detail, the reader really gets a sense of Chesters character traits.
I also enjoyed how the illustrations were part of the story. They did not depict the story as illustrations often do in other books, they were part of the the story. With out the illustrations the story makes no sense. ( )
  ycinto1 | Sep 29, 2014 |
For Marcos, Eva, Melina and Laya (crossed out)

For Chester because I couldn't have made this book without him. He's the smartest, most handsome cat in the world. I wish I could be lie him someday.
Once upon a time there was a mouse.

A self-centered cat named Chester keeps interrupting his owner as she tries to write a story about a mouse.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,353,859 books! | Top bar: Always visible