Chester (edition 2009)

by Melanie Watt (Illustrator), Melanie Watt (Author)

Series: Chester (1)

Other authors:Melanie Watt (Illustrator), Melanie Watt (Author)
Info:Kids Can Press (2009), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 32 pages
Collections:fiction, picture books
Tags:cat, dog, mouse

Chester by Melanie Watt

Recently added byprivate library, pmparris413, kstoy, Kaethe, eneidacervantes, exv036, ehelmke, FIBClibrary, Kxc040

English (79)  Japanese (1)  All languages (80)
2008 February 17

It cracked us up. It's a clever metafictional riff on books for kids. It is also, now, a model for picture-book making for the Possum, who's written imitative tributes to the neighbor's cat, Max, for the daughter of the household.

Library copy. ( )
  Kaethe | Oct 17, 2016 |
I enjoyed this book because the illustrations really enhanced the story and made it come to life. This book is about a mouse who is attempting to tell a story but is continually interrupted by a cat named, Chester, who is the "king of the castle". Both the mouse and Chester battle between who gets to be the narrator of the story and the reader always knows when the narrator switches to Chester because he writes in his signature red marker. For example, the mouse states, "Back to the story...Once upon a time there was a mouse. He lived in...Chester move out of the way!" Chester then begins to write in his red marker saying "...he lived in the country with his vegetarian dog who only ate carrots." The mouse's story continues to be interrupted by Chester, who always has something silly to write. He also draws silly cartoon drawings on top of the illustrations of the book such as a drawn on crown for his head or a trophy that says "Chester is #1". The mouse finally gets back at Chester by showing an illustration of Chester in a tight pink tutu, which ultimately embarrasses him enough to give up the narrating battle to the mouse. The big idea of this book is that there can be more than one narrator and the illustrations of a book do not always have to be traditional. ( )
  breannaamos | Sep 12, 2016 |
"Chester" by Melanie Watt is an adorable book. The author is trying to tell the story of a mouse but a very jealous cat takes over the story every time he gets the chance. The author and the character are actually going back and forth which teaches a very important lesson. Which is that the author is the one who creates these amazing character and the story. It also shows that if you do something that is not what someone wants you to do there will be consequences. This book is really cute because it shows the cat writing his story and finally the author writes the cat his own story. It is not the story that he thought would be written about him he ends up in a pink tutu. ( )
  Emorrison | Aug 25, 2016 |
OMG I could not stop laughing. I know, it's probably silly to give a humorous picture book five stars, but I truly thought this was 'amazingly' clever. Don't take my word for it; go to your library and get it for yourself. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
I think this is a really cute, silly book. I think the illustrations add a lot to the story. They are detailed and bright which children love. This story is organized in a non traditional way which I think is attention grabbing. It puts the reader involved and active in the story. I think this is a book that kids would love to read on their own time, and can relate to the book in many ways. Melanie Watt did a great job writing a unique book,that children will love. I enjoyed the simple language, and find this to be a fun text to read. ( )
  tkoret1 | Mar 21, 2016 |
For Marcos, Eva, Melina and Laya (crossed out)

For Chester because I couldn't have made this book without him. He's the smartest, most handsome cat in the world. I wish I could be lie him someday.
Once upon a time there was a mouse.

A self-centered cat named Chester keeps interrupting his owner as she tries to write a story about a mouse.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,719,938 books! | Top bar: Always visible