The Wayside School Collection: Sideway…

The Wayside School Collection: Sideway Stories from Wayside School,…

by Louis Sachar

Recently added bynlbr1969, private library, dinomino, hjstaley, KARLAG27, lovlee2000

Probably the goofiest books I've ever read. ( )
  katemo | May 16, 2013 |
Wayside school is just a little different. The builder built the school sideways, so it's 30 classrooms stacked on top of each other. Mrs. Jewls's class is on the 30th floor. That makes for a long hike for her students. The students at Wayside are a little different as well. One boy has a literal compulsion to pull a girl's braids. One student sleeps all the time. Everyone calls a new kid by the wrong name and he never corrects anyone. One new kid shows up wearing a raincoat and there's a huge surprise when he takes it off. The teachers at Wayside are a little different too. The first teacher is horrible and when she disappears, the students get a teacher who is just as wacky as they are. Yes, life's a little different at Wayside, but that's the way they like it.

I can remember my 4th grade teacher reading the first book to my class. We thought this was the funniest thing ever! I had high expectations going into it, and I wasn't really let down. It wasn't as funny to me now as it was to my 9-year-old self, but I can definitely see why I loved it back then. Don't get me wrong--it was still hilarious, but I found myself giggling or smiling instead of laughing out loud.

I wasn't too sure about Louis Sachar as the narrator at first. He's not terribly exciting but he grew on me. He has an earnest voice that perfectly set up the crazy things these kids did in all seriousness.

I felt the first book was the best but the other two were worth checking out as well. The end of the second one got waaaay weird and ended in a not-very-happy place. I was surprised. But readers will have to pick up the third book to see how things work out for the Wayside Schoolers, so I guess it was effective marketing.

I think the books work so well because, well, kids are weird. For real. They start learning pretty early on what is and isn't acceptable, so they don't do half the weird things they want to do. The Wayside Schoolers have no inhibitions. They just go for it and it's fun to live vicariously through them.

The books, especially the first, don't really have one big plot. Each chapter is more like a short story about a kid in the class. I happen to like short stories so this worked for me. I think kids will enjoy dipping in and out of it as well. Others might consider it choppy.

I don't really know what most adults will think of it unless they remember it fondly from their elementary school days. Kids with a kid's sense of humor should love it. A great read for both girls and boys. ( )
  JG_IntrovertedReader | Apr 3, 2013 |
Only listened to the first book, but it was a really great little book about a crazy school with crazy students... :) A book every kid would enjoy and therefore should read! :) ( )
  saraferrell | Apr 3, 2013 |
Wayside school is a small chapter book that tells the stories of a school building that was built vertically and not horizontally. (This wasn't suppose to happen.) The first chapter begins with talking about the different teachers in the school. The first teacher is known to be a monster, it's a book where children are talking about how they see teachers in the building. This is a fictional book and each child can use their imagination as well as having small pictures throughout the book. Funny for kids to read together!! ( )
  ktextor | Jul 11, 2010 |
Audiofile. March 2009. Wayside School Collection: Review. http://www.audiofilemagazine.com/dbsearch/showreview.cfm?Num=42957
  Carolsince1968 | Oct 30, 2009 |

A Crazy Mixed-up School.

There'd been a terrible mistake. Wayside School was supposed to be built with thirty classrooms one on top of the other...thirty stories tall! (The builder said he was very sorry.)

That may be why all kinds of funny things happen at Wayside SChool...especially on the thirteenth floor. You'll meet Mrs. Gorf, the meanest teacher of all, terrible Todd, who always gets sent home early, and John who can read only upside down--along with all the other kids in the crazy mix-up school that came out sideways. But you'll never guess the truth about Sammy, the new kid...or what's in store for Wayside School on Halloween!

There was a terrible mistake-Wayside School was built with one classroom on top of another, thirty stories high! (The builder said he was sorry.) Maybe that's why all kinds of funny things happened at Wayside-especially on the thirteenth floor.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:31:19 -0400)

Sideways stories from Wayside School: Humorous episodes from the classroom on the thirtieth floor of Wayside School, which was accidentally built sideways with one classroom on each story. Wayside School is falling down: More humorous episodes from the classroom on the thirtieth floor of Wayside School, where students learn to tango, face the cafeteria's dreaded Mushroom Surprise, and study a hobo during show and tell. Sequel to "Sideways Stories from Wayside School." Wayside School gets a little stranger: Unusual things continue to happen in the classroom on the thirtieth floor of Wayside School, which was accidentally built sideways with one classroom on each story.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,496,373 books! | Top bar: Always visible