dismiss

A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man by…

A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man (1916)

by James Joyce

17,719174175 (3.7)1 / 579
"In 'A portrait of the artist as a young man, ' Joyce describes the early life of Stephen Dedalus: significant memories from infancy, schooldays, family life, his first taste of sin, guilt, repentance-- and his passage to freedom as he elects to leave Ireland forever. This is, in effect, an autobiography. Stephen is Joyce; every person he encounters and every incident he experiences, is drawn from life. The writing, though, displays the colour and imagination of the very finest fiction, in language which cries out to be read aloud"--Container.… (more)
    Swann's Way by Marcel Proust (emydid)
    The Catcher in the Rye by J. D. Salinger (roby72)
    Demian by Hermann Hesse (poetontheone)
    World Light by Halldór Laxness (owen1218)
    Stephen Hero by James Joyce (KayCliff)
    Mary Olivier: A Life by May Sinclair (CurrerBell)
    CurrerBell: See my review of Mary Olivier for Sinclair's resemblance to Joyce.
    Station Island by Seamus Heaney (kara.shamy)
    The Mountain and the Valley by Ernest Buckler (mArC0)
    mArC0: These are both stories where the young artist is trying to break free of a culture that they find beautiful and oppressive: The mountain and the valley.
    Angela's Ashes by Frank McCourt (KayCliff)
    Hamlet by William Shakespeare (kara.shamy)
    Orfeo: A Novel by Richard Powers (kara.shamy)
1910s (7)
Read (25)
Europe (176)

English (166)  Dutch (3)  Spanish (2)  Portuguese (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (173)
Kudos to LitCharts for explaining a whole bunch of stuff to me that would've gone way over my head otherwise. I overall enjoyed this, but I really struggled to stay focused - had I not been on holiday, I would've tried to get an audiobook and listen while reading. ( )
  j_tuffi | May 30, 2020 |
The three stars will fool you only if you let them to.
I would say it is so much more for my inability to grasp the book's true meaning than its inability to convey it. Maybe I will come back once I have seen more of life, and then I will understand more of it.
At least I could really relate to Dedalus's perspective on religion. Interesting how these still stay relevant even after a hundred years. ( )
  MahiShafiullah | May 25, 2020 |
While the writing is as good as it gets, I struggle to truly appreciate A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man almost entirely due to its ending. Stephen Dedalus' decision to leave Dublin as the denouement of the novel is cheapened by the fact that it's a decision that he would easily be willing to reverse. While he certainly was willing to break ties with his family, I'm convinced that if Emma had said to Stephen, "Hey honey, why don't you stick around for a while" and flipped her hair or some coy shit like that, Stevie boy never would've left the neighborhood, let alone the city. I really don't think he grew at all. Stephen is a man easily and passionately influenced by whatever happens to be in front of him who, rather than blend his life experience and thoughts into some sort of personal philosophical foundation, freely disregards any previous understanding of the world for whatever his most recent epiphany happens to be.

After reading Dubliners, which I enjoyed, I thought a lot about the way that Joyce depicts Dublin. As a man who left Ireland for good around the time of Dubliners' publishing, it seemed convenient that each of his short stories depicted people with a strong desire to escape Ireland for one reason or another. I got an inkling that maybe, rather than Dublin being a bad city, maybe Joyce just didn't like it and took it upon himself to decide for all of his readers that it was bad. Rather than reassuring me that my fears were misguided, A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man ended in a similar way, with Joyce's main man deciding that he must leave Dublin in order to make something of himself. Maybe Joyce's writing is just semi-autobiographical at some points. Maybe Dublin really was as Joyce described it. Maybe I'm making too much out of all this. But if Leopold Bloom ends up ditching Dublin at the end of Ulysses, don't hold it against me if I get a little testy about it. ( )
  bgramman | May 9, 2020 |
I am usually not a fan of big celebrities reading the classics. They tend to make it about the performance and not the work. Not so with Colin Farrell's brilliant rendition of Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man. Farrell's tone is deadpan and understated. His reading makes the work sound as if it were written yesterday. Extremely entertaining and equally sublime. ( )
  byebyelibrary | Jan 25, 2020 |
Open your heart to Joyce, believe in James. This is an easy five, or four, or fieve or farr; you lot are dense as shite so y'are ( )
  Charlie_Miller | Dec 3, 2019 |
"Øynene hennes hadde kalt på ham, og sjelen hans hadde sprunget henne i møte. Å leve, å feile, å falle, å seire, å gjenskape liv av liv! En vill engel hadde vist seg for ham, ungdommens og skjønnhetens - forgjengelighetens engel, et sendebud fra livets fagre hoff som var kommet for i et øyeblikk av ekstase å åpne for ham porten inn til all verdens synd og herlighet. Videre og videre ... "

Stephen Dedalus er et portrett av James Joyce som ung mann. Historien om Stephen Dedalus ble påbegynt i 1904, først påtenkt som novelle under tittelen Stephen Hero, etter hvert utviklet til en roman. Deler ble først trykt i tidsskrifter; hele boken utkom i USA i 1916, i England året etter.
added by kirstenlund | editwww.cappelendamm.no (Apr 19, 2004)

Joyce, Jamesprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Skoumal, AloysTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

Has the adaptation

Is replied to in

Has as a reference guide/companion

Has as a study

Has as a student's study guide

"Et ignotas animum dimittit in artes." ~ ovid, metamorphoses VIII, 188
Con deidica di Simone
Once upon a time and a very good time it was there was a moocow coming down along the road and this moocow that was down along the road met a nicens little boy named baby tuckoo....
Sometimes a fever gathered within him and led him to rove alone in the evening along the quiet avenue. The peace of the gardens and the kindly lights in the windows poured a tender influence into his restless heart. The noise of children at play annoyed him and their silly voices made him feel, even more keenly than he had felt at Clongowes, that he was different from others. He did not want to play. He wanted to meet in the real world the unsubstantial image which his soul so constantly beheld. He did not know where to seek it or how, but a premonition which led him on told him that this image would, without any overt act of his, encounter him. They would meet quietly as if they had known each other and had made their tryst, perhaps at one of the gates or in some more secret place. They would be alone, surrounded by darkness and silence: and in that moment of supreme tenderness he would be transfigured.
O! In the virgin womb of the imagination the word was made flesh. Gabriel the seraph had come to the virgin's chamber. An afterglow deepened within his spirit, whence the white flame had passed, deepening to a rose and ardent light.

Legacy Library: James Joyce

James Joyce has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See James Joyce's legacy profile.

See James Joyce's author page.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0142437344, 0141182660

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Urban Romantics

2 editions of this book were published by Urban Romantics.

Editions: 1907832394, 1907832408

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 146,490,974 books! | Top bar: Always visible