HomeGroupsTalkZeitgeist
Arrr! (Celebrate International Talk Like a Pirate Day) Thar be a hunt for treasure, Mateys!
This site uses cookies to deliver our services, improve performance, for analytics, and (if not signed in) for advertising. By using LibraryThing you acknowledge that you have read and understand our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy. Your use of the site and services is subject to these policies and terms.
Hide this

Results from Google Books

Click on a thumbnail to go to Google Books.

A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man by…
Loading...

A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man (1916)

by James Joyce, James Joyce

Other authors: See the other authors section.

MembersReviewsPopularityAverage ratingConversations / Mentions
16,570156170 (3.7)1 / 543
  1. 30
    Swann's Way by Marcel Proust (Emydidae)
  2. 42
    The Catcher in the Rye by J. D. Salinger (roby72)
  3. 10
    Demian by Hermann Hesse (poetontheone)
  4. 10
    World Light by Halldor Laxness (owen1218)
  5. 00
    Mary Olivier: a life by May Sinclair (CurrerBell)
    CurrerBell: See my review of Mary Olivier for Sinclair's resemblance to Joyce.
  6. 00
    Station Island by Seamus Heaney (kara.shamy)
  7. 00
    The Mountain and the Valley by Ernest Buckler (mArC0)
    mArC0: These are both stories where the young artist is trying to break free of a culture that they find beautiful and oppressive: The mountain and the valley.
  8. 01
    Angela's Ashes by Frank McCourt (KayCliff)
  9. 03
    Orfeo by Richard Powers (kara.shamy)
  10. 03
    Hamlet by William Shakespeare (kara.shamy)
1910s (10)
Read (25)
Loading...

Sign up for LibraryThing to find out whether you'll like this book.

English (149)  Dutch (2)  Portuguese (1)  Swedish (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (154)
Showing 1-5 of 149 (next | show all)
One of the five or six greatest novels. ( )
  Stubb | Aug 28, 2018 |
When I first started reading this book I really enjoyed it, I lost myself in the flow of the writing. However, towards the middle my interest was lost, not so due to the heavy prose about sinners & hell, although I did think it was overdone, it was more the long soliloquies about things such as the meaning of beauty or the works of classic writers & philosophers. They just seemed self indulgent & didn't bring anything to the story. What I enjoyed most about it was that its one of my favourite types of story - a coming of age tale. I do prefer more modern versions of this type though, mainly because I like to relate to the character & its hard to do that when there is such a gap in the times. I think this is a book you'd gain more from if you knew about the politics and Irish culture of that time. And a knowledge of religion would have helped too, as I'll readily claim ignorance to the different Christian denominations. Overall, long-winded but good. ( )
  SadieBabie | Jun 23, 2018 |
I found this a bit of a trudge in places, but great in others. The early school chapters are vivid and enjoyable, but then I got a bit mired in the hellfire and damnation bit, and now find myself struggling to know what else to say about it. ( )
  AlisonSakai | Apr 22, 2018 |
Va a parecer que necesito justificar mi calificación de este libro. A lo mejor es así. Y es que algo me dice que darle 3 estrellas a una novela de James Joyce constituye sacrilegio. Otro algo (aun más insistente y sabio) me dice que debo ser sincero respecto a lo que pensé mientras la leía; que la relación que uno establece con la literatura es íntima y única y que a veces, en contra de lo que se espera, por una u otra razón, esa relación se estropea.

El stream of consciousness funcionó bien desde la temprana infancia de Stephen Dedalus en que arrancan las páginas del 'Retrato' hasta más o menos los 16 años del joven futuro artista, cuando descubre su verdadera vocación y se desprende del mundo religioso que pretendía invadir su vida hasta convertirlo en sacerdote. Poco después de eso el mismo recurso torna extremadamente pesada la lectura de la novela. Pesada es poco: resulta insoportable. Al punto que estuve por abandonar la lectura en el quinto capítulo, en donde cada página constituía un verdadero tormento (sin mencionar el hecho de que mi edición tenía la letra muy, muy pequeña).

Mi ingenua teoría es la siguiente:

El stream of consciousness funciona de maravilla cuando:

a) tienes una historia corta que contar (los cuentos de 'Dublineses' me parecieron deliciosos), o
b) tienes una historia más bien extensa pero con más de un personaje, de modo que puedes saltar de una consciencia a otra como si de sacar la cabeza del agua para respirar se tratara.

El asunto es que pasar demasiado tiempo dentro de una mente es peligroso para la salud y, lo que es más importante, dañino para la relación literaria. No pude acompañar a Stephen por más tiempo porque su conciencia me abrumó ("como si no tuviera suficiente con la mía", me dije en un punto).
Esto no significa que Stephen Dedalus sea un personaje que vaya a olvidar con facilidad. De hecho, no puedo esperar a encontrármelo de nuevo entre las páginas del 'Ulises'.

Probablemente todo esto no sean más que racionalizaciones para excusar mi holgazanería y mi falta de compromiso con la novela. Debería agregar también que, en contra de toda recomendación (e ignorando las cejas arqueadas de un amigo), decidí leerlo en inglés. Me creí capaz. A lo mejor, ahora lo admito, no estaba listo. ( )
  andresborja42 | Mar 24, 2018 |
Penguin edition.. Second reading. Taking my time and getting quite a bit more out of it, esp after finishing Ulysses about a year ago. Using Tindale 1959 "Reader's Guide to JJ" as aid and assist.

Just finished the Chapter 3 lecture for St Xavier's day. Could have done without that...

Overall, a bit more structured and easier to read and comprehend than Ulysses. Easier to track the main themes as you progress through the novel. A man totally disillusioned w society as he grew up with as a youth... ( )
  delta351 | Jan 6, 2018 |
Showing 1-5 of 149 (next | show all)
"Øynene hennes hadde kalt på ham, og sjelen hans hadde sprunget henne i møte. Å leve, å feile, å falle, å seire, å gjenskape liv av liv! En vill engel hadde vist seg for ham, ungdommens og skjønnhetens - forgjengelighetens engel, et sendebud fra livets fagre hoff som var kommet for i et øyeblikk av ekstase å åpne for ham porten inn til all verdens synd og herlighet. Videre og videre ... "

Stephen Dedalus er et portrett av James Joyce som ung mann. Historien om Stephen Dedalus ble påbegynt i 1904, først påtenkt som novelle under tittelen Stephen Hero, etter hvert utviklet til en roman. Deler ble først trykt i tidsskrifter; hele boken utkom i USA i 1916, i England året etter.
added by KirstenLund | editwww.cappelendamm.no (Apr 19, 2004)
 

» Add other authors (128 possible)

Author nameRoleType of authorWork?Status
James Joyceprimary authorall editionscalculated
Joyce, Jamesmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Alonso, DámasoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Anderson, Chester G.Editorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Atherton, J.S.Introductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Atterbom, EbbaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Bindervoet, ErikTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Brown, RichardIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Burgess, AnthonyIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Deane, SeamusContributorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ellmann, RichardEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Henkes, Robbert-JanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Jacques, RobinCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Keogh, BrianIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kerner, HughIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lee, JohnNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Masterman, DodieIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Masterman, DodieIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Olofsson, TommyTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pavese, CesareTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rathjen, FriedhelmTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Reichert, KlausTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Skoumal, AloysTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

Has the adaptation

Is replied to in

Has as a reference guide/companion

Has as a study

Has as a student's study guide

You must log in to edit Common Knowledge data.
For more help see the Common Knowledge help page.
Series (with order)
Canonical title
Original title
Alternative titles
Original publication date
People/Characters
Important places
Important events
Related movies
Awards and honors
Epigraph
"Et ignotas animum dimittit in artes." ~ ovid, metamorphoses VIII, 188
Dedication
Con deidica di Simone
First words
Once upon a time and a very good time it was there was a moocow coming down along the road and this moocow that was down along the road met a nicens little boy named baby tuckoo....
Quotations
Sometimes a fever gathered within him and led him to rove alone in the evening along the quiet avenue. The peace of the gardens and the kindly lights in the windows poured a tender influence into his restless heart. The noise of children at play annoyed him and their silly voices made him feel, even more keenly than he had felt at Clongowes, that he was different from others. He did not want to play. He wanted to meet in the real world the unsubstantial image which his soul so constantly beheld. He did not know where to seek it or how, but a premonition which led him on told him that this image would, without any overt act of his, encounter him. They would meet quietly as if they had known each other and had made their tryst, perhaps at one of the gates or in some more secret place. They would be alone, surrounded by darkness and silence: and in that moment of supreme tenderness he would be transfigured.
O! In the virgin womb of the imagination the word was made flesh. Gabriel the seraph had come to the virgin's chamber. An afterglow deepened within his spirit, whence the white flame had passed, deepening to a rose and ardent light.
Last words
(Click to show. Warning: May contain spoilers.)
Disambiguation notice
Publisher's editors
Blurbers
Publisher series
Original language
Canonical DDC/MDS

References to this work on external resources.

Wikipedia in English (1)

Book description
Haiku summary

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0142437344, Paperback)

A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man portrays Stephen Dedalus’s Dublin childhood and youth, providing an oblique self-portrait of the young James Joyce. At its center are questions of origin and source, authority and authorship, and the relationship of an artist to his family, culture, and race. Exuberantly inventive, this coming-of-age story is a tour de force of style and technique.


@Bildungsroman I’m in college. Cool. But I live at home with mom. That doesn’t make me a tool, does it?

Nah, I’m totally cool. Look, I’ve got this cool tweed hat. Yeah, I’m cool. Totally.

From Twitterature: The World's Greatest Books in Twenty Tweets or Less

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:53 -0400)

(see all 8 descriptions)

The chronicle of Stephen Dedalus's Dublin childhood and young offers an oblique self-portrait of the young James Joyce. Exuberantly inventive, this coming-of-age story is a tour de force of style and technique.

» see all 40 descriptions

Legacy Library: James Joyce

James Joyce has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See James Joyce's legacy profile.

See James Joyce's author page.

Quick Links

Popular covers

Rating

Average: (3.7)
0.5 24
1 109
1.5 26
2 225
2.5 48
3 623
3.5 132
4 919
4.5 132
5 733

Penguin Australia

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0142437344, 0141182660

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

» Publisher information page

Urban Romantics

2 editions of this book were published by Urban Romantics.

Editions: 1907832394, 1907832408

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

» Publisher information page

 

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,844,707 books! | Top bar: Always visible