A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man by…

A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man (original 1916; edition 1974)

by James Joyce

14,420124139 (3.73)1 / 465
Member:miss_read
Title:A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man
Authors:James Joyce
Info:The Viking Press (1974), paperback
Tags:fiction, semi-autobiography, 1910s, Ireland, Paris, mythology, religion,

A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man by James Joyce (1916)

English (120)  Portuguese (1)  Spanish (1)  Dutch (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (124)
This novel took me three times as long to read as it might have. A third of my time I spent reading it, a third reading about it, and another third lost in daydreaming and memories as time after time Joyce hit something from my experience so squarely on the nose that it sent me reeling.

It didn't begin at all well. A title that reads like a subtitle, an opening line about a moocow, a stream-of-consciousness narrative with glimpses of scenes in fits and starts ... I feared the whole novel would be like this, until I understood it was a child's apprehension of the world. Confusion swiftly gave way to respect. James Joyce had a great talent for recapturing not only the events of childhood but also the much more difficult to remember perceptions, how a young boy takes in and processes what he learns about the world. I would never have recalled it quite this way, and yet it echoes with truth.

The boy ages and the same truth shines from the page with each passing year and event, as how he perceives and what he perceives alter with time. He discovers the world is not black-and-white, that not all arguments have tidy resolutions, that the opposite sex is only human too, that religion cannot provide definitive answers, that destiny calls from within. He's still got his blind spots, though: he's stubborn about letting the world in, about taking responsibility for anyone or caring about his roots, and he's far too full of himself and his accumulated learning. But what's an artist without a surfeit of pride?

I took the title to be self-referential to Joyce, but it's meant more generically; this is the development of a fictional artist's mind from childhood to self-identity as such, although with biographical elements borrowed from Joyce's own life. Surprisingly accessible (if not so much as "Dubliners"), the only sticking part for me were the big long diatribes about hell and damnation which don't really get examined but pull no punches as an example of what was being knocked into Catholic Irish boys' heads, and maybe still are in some dark corners of the world. I'm bound to deeply admire this book, one I'm stunned by for how well it got inside my head and toured me through episodes from my own life, like a tourist guide who remembers me better than I do. ( )
3 vote Cecrow | Mar 26, 2015 |
Admittedly I was reading this on my phone in snatches, quite often only a few screen's worth, so I was forever forgetting where I was, but ultimately I didn't really managed to muster any enthusiasm in Stephen or his life, and the writing didn't really draw me enough either. ( )
  queen_ypolita | Mar 1, 2015 |
3,5 ( )
  sar187 | Feb 27, 2015 |
Excellent wording and so well written it is scary. ( )
  Jacobflaws | Jan 20, 2015 |
As experiências da juventude de Stephen Dedalus, um auto-retrato de James Joyce.

Em um livro bastante simples se comparado com seus outros best-sellers, Joyce narra de maneira, às vezes bela e ingênua, outras, contundente e perspicaz, a vida sufocante de Stephen Dedalus.

A opressividade imposta pela família, escola, igreja e convenções sociais aumentam paulatinamente o desejo pela liberdade e pela fuga ao comum. Brincadeiras infantis, chantagem emocional, humilhação escolar e tirania clerical formam o caráter do jovem Dedalus que luta para encontrar-se, para viver uma vida com algum sentido.

Joyce consegue narrar a vida de Dedalus sempre pela perspectiva deste e ambientado em sua própria consciência de momento do ambiente que o engloba. Diversas passagens do livro são belíssimas, outras são por demais depressivas mas todas fazem o leitor sentir incisivamente os sentimentos do protagonista. Este pequeno trecho mostra a força expressiva de James Joyce:

"Sê bem-vinda ó vida! Eu vou ao encontro, pela milionésima vez, da realidade da experiência, a fim de moldar, na forja da minha alma, a consciência ainda não criada da minha raça." ( )
  Binderman | Aug 16, 2014 |

Rathjen, FriedhelmTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Reichert, KlausTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Skoumal, AloysTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"Et ignotas animum dimittit in artes." ~ ovid, metamorphoses VIII, 188
Once upon a time and a very good time it was there was a moocow coming down along the road and this moocow that was down along the road met a nicens little boy named baby tuckoo....
Sometimes a fever gathered within him and led him to rove alone in the evening along the quiet avenue. The peace of the gardens and the kindly lights in the windows poured a tender influence into his restless heart. The noise of children at play annoyed him and their silly voices made him feel, even more keenly than he had felt at Clongowes, that he was different from others. He did not want to play. He wanted to meet in the real world the unsubstantial image which his soul so constantly beheld. He did not know where to seek it or how, but a premonition which led him on told him that this image would, without any overt act of his, encounter him. They would meet quietly as if they had known each other and had made their tryst, perhaps at one of the gates or in some more secret place. They would be alone, surrounded by darkness and silence: and in that moment of supreme tenderness he would be transfigured.
O! In the virgin womb of the imagination the word was made flesh. Gabriel the seraph had come to the virgin's chamber. An afterglow deepened within his spirit, whence the white flame had passed, deepening to a rose and ardent light.

A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man portrays Stephen Dedalus’s Dublin childhood and youth, providing an oblique self-portrait of the young James Joyce. At its center are questions of origin and source, authority and authorship, and the relationship of an artist to his family, culture, and race. Exuberantly inventive, this coming-of-age story is a tour de force of style and technique.

@Bildungsroman I’m in college. Cool. But I live at home with mom. That doesn’t make me a tool, does it?

Nah, I’m totally cool. Look, I’ve got this cool tweed hat. Yeah, I’m cool. Totally.

From Twitterature: The World's Greatest Books in Twenty Tweets or Less

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:03:57 -0400)

The chronicle of Stephen Dedalus's Dublin childhood and young offers an oblique self-portrait of the young James Joyce. Exuberantly inventive, this coming-of-age story is a tour de force of style and technique.

Legacy Library: James Joyce

James Joyce has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See James Joyce's legacy profile.

See James Joyce's author page.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0142437344, 0141182660

Urban Romantics

An edition of this book was published by Urban Romantics.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,236,864 books! | Top bar: Always visible