A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man by…

A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man (original 1916; edition 1994)

by Joyce James

15,623144115 (3.72)1 / 517
Member:thanissaro
Title:A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man
Authors:Joyce James
Info:Flamingo (1994), Paperback
Collections:Read but unowned, read in 2013

A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man by James Joyce (1916)

The Catcher in the Rye by J. D. Salinger (roby72)
    Swann's Way by Marcel Proust (Emydidae)
    World Light by Halldór Laxness (owen1218)
    Demian by Hermann Hesse (poetontheone)
    Mary Olivier: a life by May Sinclair (CurrerBell)
    CurrerBell: See my review of Mary Olivier for Sinclair's resemblance to Joyce.
    Station Island by Seamus Heaney (kara.shamy)
    The Mountain and the Valley (New Canadian Library) by Ernest Buckler (mArC0)
    mArC0: These are both stories where the young artist is trying to break free of a culture that they find beautiful and oppressive: The mountain and the valley.
    Angela's Ashes by Frank McCourt (KayCliff)
    Hamlet by William Shakespeare (kara.shamy)
    Orfeo by Richard Powers (kara.shamy)
1910s (10)
Read (25)

English (139)  Dutch (2)  Portuguese (1)  Swedish (1)  Spanish (1)  All (144)
I liked Joyce more before I read this one and won't say any more than that. I refuse to talk about Joyce on principle. Will still give Dubliners another go-through to be fair. ( )
  likecymbeline | Apr 1, 2017 |
All I can say is: Thank goodness that's over!!
I'm sure I really didn't understand it, but it doesn't make me even halfway interested in trying to understand it. At least I know what it's about, and I can mark it off the list!
1 like ( )
  TerriS | Feb 4, 2017 |
This is both one of the most brilliant and one of the most annoying books I have ever read. I feel like I should love it for its technical genius, but I can't because it drove me crazy even when I knew what it was doing. I'm glad I read it but I am going to wait a long time before I read it again. ( )
  aurelas | Dec 23, 2016 |

Ireland has changed a lot since Joyce was a lad - indeed, it's changed a lot since I was a lad. I found myself re-reading this on a recent trip which included 24 hours in Dublin, where due to having a bad back I limited myself to the space between Pearse Street and St Stephen's Green, cutting several times through Trinity which Stephen Daedalus sees as "set heavily in the city's ignorance like a dull stone set in a cumbrous ring", and mused on how on the one hand Trinity is now much better integrated with its city surroundings than it was back in Joyce's day, and how on the other Dublin has raised its intellectual and cultural game even in my lifetime, as modernity hit Ireland with a thump. I guess the turning point was somewhere in the late 1980s, with the failure of the first divorce referendum and the success of the Eighth Amendment proving in fact to be the last gasp of the old order, defeated electorally in 1990 by Mary Robinson and morally in 1992 by Bishop Casey (who of course turned out merely to be the tip of the iceberg of ecclesiastical scandal and disgrace); last year's equal marriage referendum demonstrated how far Ireland has now come.

I was brought up in Catholic Belfast, my education still tinged with a lot of the dogmatic approach that Joyce experienced (though my school was run by nuns, which I think already made a difference), so A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man when I first read it as a teenager was a hostile mapping of a close but unfamiliar corner of my own world. (Except that there were no prostitutes in my world, as far as I knew.) Many in the post-Vatican II church attempted to get away from the rhetoric of hellfire and mortal sin, but it was always there under the surface, tied in with the practices around confession and indulgences, and buttressing social conservatism generally. The weakest bit of Portrait for me is the lengthy sermon on hell in Chapter 3, but I suppose the point is well made.

What I missed on first reading, and see now, is that Joyce is also writing about the cultural constraints of the Ireland he grew up in - largely self-imposed, rather than engineered by British rule. It's not only the constraints of dogmatic religion; it's the difficulty in thinking outside the box. Joyce seems to me to have a deep distrust of narrow Irish nationalism - the most unpleasant character in Ulysses by far is the Citizen,based on Gaelic League founder Michael Cusack; the dinner time debate about Parnell turns surprisingly nasty. A lot of his contemporaries saw the revival of Irish cultural identity as an emancipatory moment; Joyce seems to see it as a blind alley, when there is a wider more interesting world out there, which is what he eventually chooses.

And of course the writing style of the book is very engaging (apart from having too much hellfire, and not really enough about girls, though again I suppose that's part of the point). We may sometimes wonder just where the boundary between Joyce and Daedalus is, but we have a good idea of where Daedalus is coming from and why, and eventually of where he wants to go. It's also mercifully short; I don't think I will ever try the original 913-page manuscript of Stephen Hero... ( )
  nwhyte | Dec 11, 2016 |
Set in Ireland in the late 19th Century. Classic Joyce work, worth reading. ( )
  FoxTribeMama | Oct 1, 2016 |
"Øynene hennes hadde kalt på ham, og sjelen hans hadde sprunget henne i møte. Å leve, å feile, å falle, å seire, å gjenskape liv av liv! En vill engel hadde vist seg for ham, ungdommens og skjønnhetens - forgjengelighetens engel, et sendebud fra livets fagre hoff som var kommet for i et øyeblikk av ekstase å åpne for ham porten inn til all verdens synd og herlighet. Videre og videre ... "

Stephen Dedalus er et portrett av James Joyce som ung mann. Historien om Stephen Dedalus ble påbegynt i 1904, først påtenkt som novelle under tittelen Stephen Hero, etter hvert utviklet til en roman. Deler ble først trykt i tidsskrifter; hele boken utkom i USA i 1916, i England året etter.
added by KirstenLund | editwww.cappelendamm.no (Apr 19, 2004)

James Joyceprimary authorall editionscalculated
Skoumal, AloysTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

Has the adaptation

Is replied to in

Has as a reference guide/companion

Has as a study

Has as a student's study guide

"Et ignotas animum dimittit in artes." ~ ovid, metamorphoses VIII, 188
Con deidica di Simone
Once upon a time and a very good time it was there was a moocow coming down along the road and this moocow that was down along the road met a nicens little boy named baby tuckoo....
Sometimes a fever gathered within him and led him to rove alone in the evening along the quiet avenue. The peace of the gardens and the kindly lights in the windows poured a tender influence into his restless heart. The noise of children at play annoyed him and their silly voices made him feel, even more keenly than he had felt at Clongowes, that he was different from others. He did not want to play. He wanted to meet in the real world the unsubstantial image which his soul so constantly beheld. He did not know where to seek it or how, but a premonition which led him on told him that this image would, without any overt act of his, encounter him. They would meet quietly as if they had known each other and had made their tryst, perhaps at one of the gates or in some more secret place. They would be alone, surrounded by darkness and silence: and in that moment of supreme tenderness he would be transfigured.
O! In the virgin womb of the imagination the word was made flesh. Gabriel the seraph had come to the virgin's chamber. An afterglow deepened within his spirit, whence the white flame had passed, deepening to a rose and ardent light.

A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man portrays Stephen Dedalus’s Dublin childhood and youth, providing an oblique self-portrait of the young James Joyce. At its center are questions of origin and source, authority and authorship, and the relationship of an artist to his family, culture, and race. Exuberantly inventive, this coming-of-age story is a tour de force of style and technique.

@Bildungsroman I’m in college. Cool. But I live at home with mom. That doesn’t make me a tool, does it?

Nah, I’m totally cool. Look, I’ve got this cool tweed hat. Yeah, I’m cool. Totally.

From Twitterature: The World's Greatest Books in Twenty Tweets or Less

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:53 -0400)

The chronicle of Stephen Dedalus's Dublin childhood and young offers an oblique self-portrait of the young James Joyce. Exuberantly inventive, this coming-of-age story is a tour de force of style and technique.

Legacy Library: James Joyce

James Joyce has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See James Joyce's legacy profile.

See James Joyce's author page.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0142437344, 0141182660

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Urban Romantics

2 editions of this book were published by Urban Romantics.

Editions: 1907832394, 1907832408

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,760,338 books! | Top bar: Always visible