A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man by…

A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man (original 1916; edition 1994)

by Joyce James

14,040119147 (3.73)1 / 424
Member:thanissaro
Title:A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man
Authors:Joyce James
Info:Flamingo (1994), Paperback
Collections:read in 2013, stored in Stockport

A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man by James Joyce (1916)

English (114)  Portuguese (1)  Spanish (1)  Dutch (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (118)
This work shows Joyce's talent. It is well written, easy to follow and portrays characters that the reader can easily like. Man, did Joyce ever change when ego set in. ( )
  JVioland | Jul 14, 2014 |
The story follows Stephan Dedalus as he grows up in Ireland and eventually breaks away from Irish society. He abandons religion, Irish politics and much of what he’s been taught and what his family holds dear. As a teenager he’s tormented by Catholic guilt, especially concerning his sexual urges. He’s both fascinated and plagued by the thought of women. Stephen eventually goes his own way, to the point of leaving the country.

Joyce’s writing style is dense and wordy. Attention must be paid to every word. It can be a chore at times, but the Stephen’s story is fascinating. ( )
  Hagelstein | Jun 26, 2014 |
"To live, to err, to fall, to triumph, to recreate life out of life”

This is Joyce’s semi-autobiographical account of his formation into an artist - from childhood to adolescence.

It’s the story of a young man, Stephen, who tries to grow out of the bondance and restraint of Irish nationalism, politics and Catholic faith - and into the freedom of the artistic senses which he embraces.

It’s formed as a series of small episodes or “epiphanies” - with several flashbacks - it is quite hard to follow as a story - as it is more a dreamlike, state of conscience Joyce is describing. There are episodes of great beauty in this novel, great horrors of the mind, great sadness and despair and great “liberation" of the mind in the end.

One can understand his need to free himself of the version of Catholic faith that is presented here - the hellfire-and-brimstone preaching of Father Arnall, the fear of death and hell, the total rejection of Stephen's bodily senses in his extreme self-mortification and asceticism. It doesn’t produce the freedom he aches for.

The last part of the book is a philosophical formulation of Joyces own aesthetic theories - and I kind of lost the interest after his anguished and dramatic clash with the Catholic Church. This quote from Stephen's diary at the end of the novel kind of describes where we are - rather pompous, methinks.

“Welcome, O life! I go to encounter for the millionth time the reality of experience and to forge in the smithy of my soul the unreated conscience of my race" ( )
2 vote ctpress | Jun 26, 2014 |
Ok I made it to page 240 and had 50 pages left and I just couldn't take reading this gibberish anymore. I didn't understand anything in this book at all. I'm still in shock it's on the 1001 books to read before you die list. Am I claiming this as a finished book? Absolutely, I've read more than half of the nonsense so I'm claiming it read and done.

For the rest of the review, visit my blog at: http://angelofmine1974.livejournal.com/73152.html
  booklover3258 | May 28, 2014 |
Boring. But, maybe, I'm not just ready yet to go with a Classic. ( )
1 vote mikesunlight | Mar 20, 2014 |

Rathjen, FriedhelmTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Reichert, KlausTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Skoumal, AloysTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"Et ignotas animum dimittit in artes." ~ ovid, metamorphoses VIII, 188
Once upon a time and a very good time it was there was a moocow coming down along the road and this moocow that was down along the road met a nicens little boy named baby tuckoo....
Sometimes a fever gathered within him and led him to rove alone in the evening along the quiet avenue. The peace of the gardens and the kindly lights in the windows poured a tender influence into his restless heart. The noise of children at play annoyed him and their silly voices made him feel, even more keenly than he had felt at Clongowes, that he was different from others. He did not want to play. He wanted to meet in the real world the unsubstantial image which his soul so constantly beheld. He did not know where to seek it or how, but a premonition which led him on told him that this image would, without any overt act of his, encounter him. They would meet quietly as if they had known each other and had made their tryst, perhaps at one of the gates or in some more secret place. They would be alone, surrounded by darkness and silence: and in that moment of supreme tenderness he would be transfigured.
O! In the virgin womb of the imagination the word was made flesh. Gabriel the seraph had come to the virgin's chamber. An afterglow deepened within his spirit, whence the white flame had passed, deepening to a rose and ardent light.

A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man portrays Stephen Dedalus’s Dublin childhood and youth, providing an oblique self-portrait of the young James Joyce. At its center are questions of origin and source, authority and authorship, and the relationship of an artist to his family, culture, and race. Exuberantly inventive, this coming-of-age story is a tour de force of style and technique.

@Bildungsroman I’m in college. Cool. But I live at home with mom. That doesn’t make me a tool, does it?

Nah, I’m totally cool. Look, I’ve got this cool tweed hat. Yeah, I’m cool. Totally.

From Twitterature: The World's Greatest Books in Twenty Tweets or Less

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:03:57 -0400)

The chronicle of Stephen Dedalus's Dublin childhood and young offers an oblique self-portrait of the young James Joyce. Exuberantly inventive, this coming-of-age story is a tour de force of style and technique.

Legacy Library: James Joyce

James Joyce has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See James Joyce's legacy profile.

See James Joyce's author page.

Fifteen editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Two editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0142437344, 0141182660

Urban Romantics

An edition of this book was published by Urban Romantics.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,474,439 books! | Top bar: Always visible