The Bridal Wreath: Kristin Lavransdatter,…

The Bridal Wreath: Kristin Lavransdatter, Vol.1 (original 1920; edition 1987)

by Sigrid Undset

Member:mucker28
Title:The Bridal Wreath: Kristin Lavransdatter, Vol.1
Authors:Sigrid Undset
Info:Vintage (1987), Edition: 1st Vintage Books, Paperback, 288 pages
Tags:tbr

Kristin Lavransdatter I: The Wreath by Sigrid Undset (1920)

English (23)  Swedish (1)  All languages (24)
This is the first third of the Kristin Lavransdatter saga, which earned Undset a Nobel prize. Kristin is the older daughter of Lavrans, a well respected landowner in medieval Norway. Her childhood and coming-of-age are interwoven with the religious, social and every-day history of her time. Undset clearly knows each of her characters intimately—there’s a sense of reality to even the background characters. I’ve always thought the religious prohibition against premarital sex is ridiculous, but nevertheless Undset made me deeply feel the angst and torment of Kristin and her family in regards to that subject. It's an excellent novel, but I’ve been advised not to read the subsequent parts, as apparently it gets even darker. ( )
  wealhtheowwylfing | Feb 29, 2016 |
reading notes

Kristin Lavransdatter: Book 1 (1920-1922)
The Wreath

by Sigrid Undset

The daily aspects of family life in Norway during the 14th century are captured in Undset's trilogy.
Social, political and religious elements are interwoven into daily life with "Norse sagas, folklore and Old Norse legends" throughout.

Book one chronicles Kristen as daughter.

304 pg
softcover
(includes suggestions for further reading and explanatory notes)

5* favorite

"Natural dialog...lyrical flow"
Tiina Nunnally translates memorable characters with ease and fluidity.
Looking forward to continuing the trilogy. ( )
  pennsylady | Jan 27, 2016 |
??1/2 rounded up to ???

Kristin Lavransdatter is a fourteenth century Norwegian girl, around whom the story centres, although there are scenes without her. We see her from seven through seventeen here. She is the pretty, well- loved daughter of Lavrans Bjørgulfson and Ragnfrid Ivarsdatter. At the beginning of the story she is the only one of their surviving children, but later two more girls are born. When she is fifteen she is betrothed by her father to a man of a good family, but since she has never left their valley, she goes to spend a year in a convent. There her roommate is the talkative and adventurous Ingabjørg, also betrothed who leads Kristin astray and on the path to meet Erland, a man she falls deeply and passionately in love with all the ardor of first teenage love, despite being betrothed.

I found it difficult going for much of the book, but began to like it better in the third section, so it moved from a two to two and half stars. I’m hoping that I’ll like the next one, The Wife, better. I found it difficult to care much for Kristin at first, and had wanted to like her very much. Throughout the book the prevailing beliefs of the middle ages including Roman Catholicism, pervade everything, and I suspect that the religious beliefs of Kristin will become a much stronger focal point as the trilogy progresses, although I’ll have to wait to find out.

If you like family sagas and if you like Undset’s style of writing, I think you’ll enjoy this more than I did.
  Karin7 | Jan 20, 2016 |
It's obvious from the start that Undset was a very competent historical novelist in the Walter Scott tradition, thoroughly familiar with the primary sources for the period she was writing about, and able to put herself very convincingly into the heads of medieval Norwegians and show us what the world might have looked like through their eyes. There's little intrusive scene-setting and explanation — sometimes almost too little — the narrator never steps outside the frame to relate her story to modern times. But it's hard to see in the early chapters where the added value is going to be: it could almost be the chapter on "medieval farming" from an early 20th century schoolbook. Even when Kristin gets into her teens, it looks for a long time as though this is just going to be another nice girl/bad boy romance. You have to get a long way into the book before it becomes clear that Undset must have read some Ibsen as well as all those medieval texts in her youth, and that she has set up rather a sophisticated and modern psychological study of the main characters. Very subtle and clever, even if it does turn out that she's just as much of a crusty old Tory underneath as Sir Walter was...

The Nunnally translation is definitely a lot better than the couple of chapters I read in the Archer/Scott translation. It comes across as very low-key and unobtrusive, with simple, direct syntax. Archaic words seem to be confined to the places where they are essential to convey a precise meaning (the only one I found intrusively quaint was "maiden", but given the plot it might have been hard to find a less dated alternative there). Nunnally's minimal and unpedantic notes and her introduction with a short biographical sketch of the author are also quite helpful. ( )
1 vote thorold | Aug 24, 2015 |
I'm glad to see that there's another translation of this book. The tortured syntax of this version can make you think that this was written by Yoda. Years ago, before I had forgotten my Norwegian, I read this in the original. It was a tough go with many, necessarily, archaic words that weren't in my Norwegian/English dictionary. But I remember it as being well written. The trouble with this translation, and the translator isn't even listed on the title page, is that it seems to be straight word for word. "Tenke du ikke", perfectly normal expression in Norwegian becomes "Think you not" no ways normal in English, even if you're going for a Medieval feel. It really becomes a problem in some of the longer passages where you have to stop and untangle the sentences to figure what the character is saying. Hopefully someone gave the anonymous translator some notes before heading into the next volumes.

At this point in the story, it's good but I'm not sure it's Nobel prize material. It seems historically accurate and does well reflect the Norwegian character with it's angst, concern with personal responsibility and love of the natural world. I never got through volume 3 when I was reading it in Norwegian, so I'll have get through the next 2 books. One does have to know how the story ends. No spoilers please, but I bet she dies. ( )
1 vote harryo19 | Jul 26, 2014 |

Sigrid Undsetprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Archer, CharlesTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Scott, J. S.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
When the lands and goods of Ivar Gjesling the younger, of Sundbu, were divided after his death in 1306, his lands in Sil of Gudbrandsdal fell to his daughter Ragnfrid and her husband Lavrans Bjorgulfson.

In Kristin Lavransdatter (1920-1922), Sigrid Undset interweaves political, social, and religious history with the daily aspects of family life to create a colorful, richly detailed tapestry of Norway during the fourteenth-century. The trilogy, however, is more than a journey into the past. Undset's own life—her familiarity with Norse sagas and folklore and with a wide range of medieval literature, her experiences as a daughter, wife, and mother, and her deep religious faith—profoundly influenced her writing. Her grasp of the connections between past and present and of human nature itself, combined with the extraordinary quality of her writing, sets her works far above the genre of "historical novels." This new translation by Tina Nunnally—the first English version since Charles Archer's translation in the 1920s—captures Undset's strengths as a stylist. Nunnally, an award-winning translator, retains the natural dialog and lyrical flow of the original Norwegian, with its echoes of Old Norse legends, while deftly avoiding the stilted language and false archaisms of Archer's translation. In addition, she restores key passages left out of that edition.

Undset's ability to present a meticulously accurate historical portrait without sacrificing the poetry and narrative drive of masterful storytelling was particularly significant in her homeland. Granted independence in 1905 after five hundred years of foreign domination, Norway was eager to reclaim its national history and culture. Kristin Lavransdatter became a touchstone for Undset's contemporaries, and continues to be widely read by Norwegians today. In the more than 75 years since it was first published, it has also become a favorite throughout the world.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:31 -0400)

Originally published in Norwegian in 1920 and set in fourteenth-century Norway, The Wreath chronicles the courtship of a headstrong and passionate young woman and a dangerously charming and impetuous man. Undset re-creates the historical backdrop in vivid detail, immersing readers in the day-to-day life, social conventions, and political undercurrents of the period. Her prose combines the sounds and style of Nordic ballads, European courtly poetry, and religious literature. But the story Undset tells is a modern one; it mirrors post-World War I political and religious anxieties, and introduces a heroine who has long captivated contemporary readers. Defying her parents and stubbornly pursuing her own happiness, Kristin emerges as a woman who not only loves with power and passion but intrepidly confronts her sexuality.… (more)

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0143039164, 0141180412

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,419,980 books! | Top bar: Always visible