dismiss

As I Lay Dying (1930)

by William Faulkner

12,196172344 (3.89)571
One of William Faulkner's finest novels, "As I lay dying" was originally published in 1930, and remains a captivating and stylistically innovative work. The story revolves around a grim yet darkly humorous pilgrimage, as Addie Bundren's family sets out to fulfill her last wish: to be buried in her native Jefferson, Mississippi, far from the miserable backwater surroundings of her married life. Told through multiple voices, it vividly brings to life Faulkner's imaginary South, one of the great invented landscapes in all of literature, and is replete with the poignant, impoverished, violent, and hypnotically fascinating characters that were his trademark.… (more)
    Wise Blood: A Novel by Flannery O'Connor (joririchardson)
    The Sun Also Rises by Ernest Hemingway (2below)
    2below: Both involve complicated characters (some might say messed up), crazy mishaps, and fascinating unstable and unreliable narratives. Also excellent examples of Modernist fiction.
    Getting Mother's Body by Suzan-Lori Parks (aethercowboy)
    aethercowboy: Getting Mother's Body is a reimagining of As I Lay Dying through a different culture's point of view.
    A Death in the Family by James Agee (goodwinter)
    Salvage the Bones by Jesmyn Ward (LottaBerling)
    The Death of Ivan Ilyich by Leo Tolstoy (SanctiSpiritus)
    Lincoln in the Bardo by George Saunders (CGlanovsky)
    Pélagie: The Return to Acadie by Antonine Maillet (Serviette, Serviette)

English (162)  Spanish (4)  French (2)  Italian (1)  Portuguese (1)  All languages (170)
9 day journey to bury Addie Bundren
  ritaer | Jul 4, 2020 |
Worth reading for the dark humor alone. The final scene, especially, is a wonderful payoff, a punch line building since the first page. Unlike a lot of Faulkner, most of the prose is straightforward. Also, the characters are likable, smaller in scope than most of Faulkner's characters that I've read, more human. ( )
  James_Maxey | Jun 29, 2020 |
Beholden to none
going home for the last time
buzzards in her wake. ( )
  Eggpants | Jun 25, 2020 |
In heart of near every member of the Bundren family poverty, self-pity, and bitterness eat like an ulcerous canker. They are as dysfunctional a family as the Earnshaws of Wuthering Heights, but dirt poor. Their rural neighbors, including the slightly more well to do town dwellers, are about the same. Christian duty becomes a ready excuse for self-justification and pride. Illicit liaisons and other family secrets and never shared, but insults and curses are frequently exchanged when tempers flare. And they flare a lot after the death of Addie, the emotionally cold matriarch of the Bundren clan, and the rest of them set off on an ill-fated trek to bury her in her hometown forty miles away. It’s a tale that unfolds for the reader as each character soliloquizes. It’s a brilliantly executed and morbidly fascinating portrait of humanity in its natural state where life is, as philosopher Thomas Hobbes put it “nasty, brutish, and short.” ( )
  MaowangVater | Jun 24, 2020 |
The second half is a lot more entertaining than the first. The book overall makes for an interesting experiment in perspective but the story itself feels empty, especially since I had little sympathy for anyone. Not until I was too far in for it to matter, anyway. ( )
  peterbmacd | May 17, 2020 |

William Faulknerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Prins, ApieTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Raver, LornaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vandenbergh, JohnTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Verhoef, RienTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Hal Smith
Jewel and I come up from the field, following the path in single file.
"She's a-going," he says. "Her mind is set on it."
Sometimes I aint so sho who's got ere a right to say when a man is crazy and when he aint. Sometimes I think it aint none of us pure crazy and aint none of us pure sane until the balance of us talks him that-a-way. It's like it aint so much what a fellow does, but it's the way the majority of folks is looking at him when he does it.
My mother is a fish.
The Corrected Text

Legacy Library: William Faulkner

William Faulkner has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See William Faulkner's legacy profile.

See William Faulkner's author page.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 148,844,170 books! | Top bar: Always visible