As I Lay Dying by William Faulkner

As I Lay Dying (1930)

by William Faulkner

Wise Blood by Flannery O'Connor (joririchardson)
    The Sun Also Rises by Ernest Hemingway (2below)
    2below: Both involve complicated characters (some might say messed up), crazy mishaps, and fascinating unstable and unreliable narratives. Also excellent examples of Modernist fiction.
    Getting Mother's Body by Suzan-Lori Parks (aethercowboy)
    aethercowboy: Getting Mother's Body is a reimagining of As I Lay Dying through a different culture's point of view.
    A Death in the Family by James Agee (goodwinter)
    Salvage the Bones by Jesmyn Ward (LottaBerling)
    The Death of Ivan Ilyich by Leo Tolstoy (SanctiSpiritus)
    Lincoln in the Bardo by George Saunders (CGlanovsky)
    Pélagie: The Return to Acadie by Antonine Maillet (Serviette)

English (151)  Spanish (4)  French (2)  Italian (1)  Portuguese (1)  All languages (159)
Easy to see how this was a revolutionary piece - - but the dialect dragged for me, and the seriously strong story and character elements took a lot of wading and digging to get to. It took a viewing of the faithful (and highly worthwhile) 2013 James Franco movie to show me a few things I missed in the accented quagmire. ( )
  Ron18 | Feb 17, 2019 |
As I Lay Dying by William Faulkner; (3 1/2*)

I read As I Lay Dying yesterday as I lay trying to get over viral pneumonia and I must say that I enjoyed my first William Faulkner more.
As I Lay Dying is the story of a poor family whose mother/wife is dying & the husband has promised her that he would bury her in her hometown with her kinfolk. It is told in the first person in small chapters by everyone in the story. Mother dies early on and the remainder of the story is principally the telling of how the family struggled to fulfill the father's promise to the her.
I didn't have enough time with any one character to really identify with them & thus it made it difficult for me to care about any of them. It was well written as all of Faulkner's works seem to be. I'm glad I read it but I think perhaps I missed quite a bit of his meaning of the words and just read the words of the story. I will have to read this one again one day when my brain is a little less befuddled. ( )
2 vote rainpebble | Jan 10, 2019 |
Most of the time I couldn't follow what was happening in this story. I don't speak the language used in this book. I was disappointed because I thought I'd love it from the description. This would be a better read to do in school with a teacher guiding you through it. ( )
  3njennn | Nov 25, 2018 |
DNF - 50% - loved at first, but lost interest. Will attempt again.
  ktshpd | Oct 22, 2018 |
Captures the voice and outlook of the Southern rural poor. The darkly comic telling, through the voices of the family and their neighbours, shows how poverty and ignorance produces a domestic version of gothic horror. 13 May 2018. ( )
  alanca | Jun 13, 2018 |

William Faulknerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Prins, ApieTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Raver, LornaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vandenbergh, JohnTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Verhoef, RienTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Hal Smith
Jewel and I come up from the field, following the path in single file.
"She's a-going," he says. "Her mind is set on it."
Sometimes I aint so sho who's got ere a right to say when a man is crazy and when he aint. Sometimes I think it aint none of us pure crazy and aint none of us pure sane until the balance of us talks him that-a-way. It's like it aint so much what a fellow does, but it's the way the majority of folks is looking at him when he does it.
My mother is a fish.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 067973225X, Paperback)

Faulkner's distinctive narrative structures--the uses of multiple points of view and the inner psychological voices of the characters--in one of its most successful incarnations here in As I Lay Dying. In the story, the members of the Bundren family must take the body of Addie, matriarch of the family, to the town where Addie wanted to be buried. Along the way, we listen to each of the members on the macabre pilgrimage, while Faulkner heaps upon them various flavors of disaster. Contains the famous chapter completing the equation about mothers and fish--you'll see.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:17 -0400)

At the heart of this 1930 novel is the Bundren family's bizarre journey to Jefferson to bury Addie, their wife and mother. Faulkner lets each family member--including Addie--and others along the way tell their private responses to Addie's life. As I Lay Dying is the harrowing, darkly comic tale of the Bundren family's trek across Mississippi to bury Addie, their wife and mother, as told by each of the family members--including Addie herself.… (more)

Legacy Library: William Faulkner

William Faulkner has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See William Faulkner's legacy profile.

See William Faulkner's author page.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,440,541 books! | Top bar: Always visible