As I Lay Dying: The Corrected Text (Modern…

As I Lay Dying: The Corrected Text (Modern Library) (original 1930; edition 2000)

by William Faulkner

9,202119325 (3.9)438
Member:TLHines
Title:As I Lay Dying: The Corrected Text (Modern Library)
Authors:William Faulkner
Info:Modern Library (2000), Hardcover, 288 pages
Tags:All-Time Favorites, Literary

As I Lay Dying by William Faulkner (1930)

The Sun Also Rises by Ernest Hemingway (2below)
    2below: Both involve complicated characters (some might say messed up), crazy mishaps, and fascinating unstable and unreliable narratives. Also excellent examples of Modernist fiction.
    Wise Blood by Flannery O'Connor (joririchardson)
    Getting Mother's Body by Suzan-Lori Parks (aethercowboy)
    aethercowboy: Getting Mother's Body is a reimagining of As I Lay Dying through a different culture's point of view.
    A Death in the Family by James Agee (goodwinter)
    The Death of Ivan Ilych by Leo Tolstoy (SanctiSpiritus)
    Salvage the Bones by Jesmyn Ward (LottaBerling)

English (113)  Spanish (3)  French (2)  All languages (118)
Addie Bundren is dying, and has requested to be buried amongst her family 40 miles away. Her impoverished family attempt to fulfil this wish, hampered by conditions and their own stupidity, greed, and distraction with their own problems.

A great, great book. A modernist novel where each chapter is told by a member of the family or the people who know them, yet it's still accessible and easy to read (Faulkner is often very tough), as well as a gripping story. All the characters are fascinating and the writing is often out of this world. I'm slightly irritated with myself that I've only read this twice. ( )
  roblong | Oct 8, 2014 |
Read it twice in a row. I can't say anything that hasn't already been said about the book, so I'll limit my review to an expression of regret that a book like this would NEVER be published today. Not by the big 5 anyway. Screw you, big 5. Just screw you. So it goes. ( )
  DanielAlgara | Sep 26, 2014 |
The story follows a rural Southern family that deals with the practical and emotional concerns of waiting for the mother to die, then the burial. It tells the story through many eyes, with each character's first-person narrative in the mindset of how he or she thinks and acts, which usually contradicts a previous character's thoughts. The plot is straightforward, but the emotions are not. Who lies, who tells the truth, or even harder.. who lies to themselves? It is left to the reader to determine the true thoughts of each character.

I hated this book so much, and I loved it so much. I honestly hate these characters for their bull-headed stubbornness and inability to see beyond their on mindsets. And I love the writer for this, because ugh I did love these characters. Well most of them. Anse is just an ass.

I loved the intrigue, the mystery behind the back-story of each character until it is slowly revealed piece by piece, by things said and the things unsaid.

It was a slow read in some ways because there aren't crazy plot twists or explosions and fight scenes like in action novels. But oh, the mystery, the emotions of these characters. This book is a character study of people and it is worth reading.

3.5 stars because I really liked it, but not enough to read over and over again - so that bumped it down to 3 stars. Recommended for people who want to learn about characters and how to write emotion. Recommended for people who love understanding people and want to be drawn into a book. ( )
  NineLarks | Sep 15, 2014 |

NineLarks | Sep 15, 2014 |
Yet again, give me Eudora Welty anytime. This guy is not only confusing, he's also bloody depressing! I borrowed this book years ago and I could never get into it. Now I see that I should have given up. I really hate shifting perspective. I want to know who's telling the story, what their relationship with the other characters is, etc. Give me some freaking exposition too! Need I say I wasn't real wild about the book? ( )
  AliceAnna | Sep 9, 2014 |

William Faulknerprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Raver, LornaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Hal Smith
Jewel and I come up from the field, following the path in single file.
"She's a-going," he says. "Her mind is set on it."
Sometimes I aint so sho who's got ere a right to say when a man is crazy and when he aint. Sometimes I think it aint none of us pure crazy and aint none of us pure sane until the balance of us talks him that-a-way. It's like it aint so much what a fellow does, but it's the way the majority of folks is looking at him when he does it.
My mother is a fish.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 067973225X, Paperback)

Faulkner's distinctive narrative structures--the uses of multiple points of view and the inner psychological voices of the characters--in one of its most successful incarnations here in As I Lay Dying. In the story, the members of the Bundren family must take the body of Addie, matriarch of the family, to the town where Addie wanted to be buried. Along the way, we listen to each of the members on the macabre pilgrimage, while Faulkner heaps upon them various flavors of disaster. Contains the famous chapter completing the equation about mothers and fish--you'll see.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:52:42 -0400)

At the heart of this 1930 novel is the Bundren family's bizarre journey to Jefferson to bury Addie, their wife and mother. Faulkner lets each family member--including Addie--and others along the way tell their private responses to Addie's life. As I Lay Dying is the harrowing, darkly comic tale of the Bundren family's trek across Mississippi to bury Addie, their wife and mother, as told by each of the family members--including Addie herself.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

The Library of America

An edition of this book was published by The Library of America.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,306,413 books! | Top bar: Always visible