As I Lay Dying: The Corrected Text by…

As I Lay Dying: The Corrected Text (original 1930; edition 1991)

by William Faulkner

Member:debavp
Title:As I Lay Dying: The Corrected Text
Authors:William Faulkner
Info:Vintage (1991), Paperback, 267 pages
Rating:***1/2
Tags:Fiction, GW, Used, TB, Read, Donated, Review Pending

As I Lay Dying by William Faulkner (1930)

The Sun Also Rises by Ernest Hemingway (2below)
    2below: Both involve complicated characters (some might say messed up), crazy mishaps, and fascinating unstable and unreliable narratives. Also excellent examples of Modernist fiction.
    Wise Blood: A Novel by Flannery O'Connor (joririchardson)
    Getting Mother's Body by Suzan-Lori Parks (aethercowboy)
    aethercowboy: Getting Mother's Body is a reimagining of As I Lay Dying through a different culture's point of view.
    A Death in the Family by James Agee (goodwinter)
    Salvage the Bones by Jesmyn Ward (LottaBerling)
    The Death of Ivan Ilych by Leo Tolstoy (SanctiSpiritus)

English (117)  Spanish (3)  French (2)  Italian (1)  All languages (123)
My first Faulkner. My hunch was that I'd find his oblique Joycean, stream-of-consciousness style a bit much, and generally I did. I came away from Mrs Dalloway by Woolf with a similar tilt. That said, he could carve out some turns of phrase that were worth lingering over (I much preferred his narrative voice to the hick dialogue). Also, his spare directness and alternating narration are clearly influential in literature today (I think of Cormac McCarthy and Jon Clinch for example). And, as to the Bundren clan of this story, think of the poorer and less redeemable Mississippi cousins of the Joads. ( )
  JamesMScott | Jul 20, 2015 |
By showing different view points from each character, the story was able to captivate me to the point where I could not put the book down. The use of different archetypes for each character made the plot more interesting. Addie's family and the mishaps that happen to them while they are on their way to bury Addie makes you question what really ties a family together and if this family was stable at all. ( )
  Potatoangel | Jun 25, 2015 |
This was my first Faulkner book; I'd expected it to be fairly arduous, but once I got into the swing of the language and his style of prose I really enjoyed it.

Written in a modernist stream of consciousness style, the story is about the death and burial of Addie Bundren, as observed by her children, husband, and other characters from the surrounding area. It's one of those books where nothing much happens and yet everything happens. At the beginning of the book we learn about the perceived natures of each of the family members through different narrator perspectives, and as the journey to bury Addie progresses we see their true colours emerge, concluding with different opinions of them than was originally presented to us.

There were many moments of black humour throughout, often to do with poor deceased Mrs Bundren in her homemade coffin as the final journey to her hometown continually got derailed.

Faulkner's method of narration left a bit of work for the reader at times, so I read the online Sparknotes for the book as I went to make sure my understanding was staying on the right track.

4 stars for a very different and worthwhile read. ( )
1 vote AlisonY | Apr 25, 2015 |
I hated As I Lay Dying. Part of me worries about this, since it’s a classic and presumably there must be something great about it. But whatever it is that makes people like Faulkner completely skipped me by.

I think I should preface the rest of the review with the acknowledgement that I read this as a school assignment. I would not have picked it up otherwise, and I would certainly not have continued with it.

The writing was torturous to get through. Just take a gander at “his pale eyes like wood set into his wooden face”. Thank goodness it was only 260 pages. It was hard enough to get through the writing and the tedium of it, and there was no way I could do so for longer.

It was also difficult to figure out what was actually happening in the book. If I hadn’t checked SparkNotes, I would never have figured out that a character was pregnant.

Also, I didn’t care about any of the characters, not the slightest bit. They were all self obsessed and unlikable.

I would not recommend As I Lay Dying.

Originally posted on The Illustrated Page. ( )
  pwaites | Mar 3, 2015 |
Quando si legge F. bisognerebbe partire dall'assunto che siamo su un altro livello rispetto a qualsiasi altra cosa.
Una categoria a sé, poco a che vedere con la letteratura.

Questo testo è snello rispetto ad altri capolavori dell'autore, ma ugualmente profondo e a piani di lettura intersecantisi, belli.
Non trovo tuttavia il 'comico' e il 'ridicolo' citati da Giuliani nella 4^ di copertina: dopo la lettura del libro di Agee ed Evans di cui parlo altrove, qui vedo solo miseria, ignoranza, fatica, fatica, fatica, ingenuità, malizia, perversita', follia ottusa. Non c'e' niente da riderne.

Poi, come sempre con Faulkner, bisogna tenere aperte tutte le sinapsi nervose, i pori della pelle, il senso degli odori e dei suoni, per assumere lo scritto nella sua potenza, perchè è quella l'unica modalità di lettura che possa rendere giustizia alle sue parole. ( )
  bobparr | Dec 14, 2014 |

William Faulknerprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Raver, LornaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Hal Smith
Jewel and I come up from the field, following the path in single file.
"She's a-going," he says. "Her mind is set on it."
Sometimes I aint so sho who's got ere a right to say when a man is crazy and when he aint. Sometimes I think it aint none of us pure crazy and aint none of us pure sane until the balance of us talks him that-a-way. It's like it aint so much what a fellow does, but it's the way the majority of folks is looking at him when he does it.
My mother is a fish.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 067973225X, Paperback)

Faulkner's distinctive narrative structures--the uses of multiple points of view and the inner psychological voices of the characters--in one of its most successful incarnations here in As I Lay Dying. In the story, the members of the Bundren family must take the body of Addie, matriarch of the family, to the town where Addie wanted to be buried. Along the way, we listen to each of the members on the macabre pilgrimage, while Faulkner heaps upon them various flavors of disaster. Contains the famous chapter completing the equation about mothers and fish--you'll see.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:17 -0400)

At the heart of this 1930 novel is the Bundren family's bizarre journey to Jefferson to bury Addie, their wife and mother. Faulkner lets each family member--including Addie--and others along the way tell their private responses to Addie's life. As I Lay Dying is the harrowing, darkly comic tale of the Bundren family's trek across Mississippi to bury Addie, their wife and mother, as told by each of the family members--including Addie herself.… (more)

The Library of America

An edition of this book was published by The Library of America.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,028,427 books! | Top bar: Always visible