As I Lay Dying: The Corrected Text by…

As I Lay Dying: The Corrected Text (original 1930; edition 1991)

by William Faulkner

Member:debavp
Title:As I Lay Dying: The Corrected Text
Authors:William Faulkner
Info:Vintage (1991), Paperback, 267 pages
Rating:***1/2
Tags:Fiction, GW, Used, TB, Read, Donated, Review Pending

As I Lay Dying by William Faulkner (1930)

Wise Blood: A Novel by Flannery O'Connor (joririchardson)
    The Sun Also Rises by Ernest Hemingway (2below)
    2below: Both involve complicated characters (some might say messed up), crazy mishaps, and fascinating unstable and unreliable narratives. Also excellent examples of Modernist fiction.
    Getting Mother's Body by Suzan-Lori Parks (aethercowboy)
    aethercowboy: Getting Mother's Body is a reimagining of As I Lay Dying through a different culture's point of view.
    A Death in the Family by James Agee (goodwinter)
    Salvage the Bones by Jesmyn Ward (LottaBerling)
    The Death of Ivan Ilych by Leo Tolstoy (SanctiSpiritus)

English (125)  Spanish (3)  French (2)  Italian (1)  All languages (131)
I found this book depressing, difficult to follow and the characters unlikeable. ( )
  snowman | Apr 11, 2016 |
This book is so true in such a crazy way. ( )
  sydsavvy | Apr 8, 2016 |
Wow. This is the book to start with if you've never read W. Faulkner and you want to see what all the hoopla's about. Mamma has died and the family's got to get her to her burial spot (on family land) many miles and past one swollen by seasonal flood river away. ( )
  evamat72 | Mar 31, 2016 |
I know a lot of people strongly dislike Faulkner. But I read this in high school and had a great teacher who made you really understand why Faulkner is so wonderful. ( )
  mamashepp | Mar 29, 2016 |
  mamashepp | Mar 29, 2016 |

William Faulknerprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Raver, LornaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Hal Smith
Jewel and I come up from the field, following the path in single file.
"She's a-going," he says. "Her mind is set on it."
Sometimes I aint so sho who's got ere a right to say when a man is crazy and when he aint. Sometimes I think it aint none of us pure crazy and aint none of us pure sane until the balance of us talks him that-a-way. It's like it aint so much what a fellow does, but it's the way the majority of folks is looking at him when he does it.
My mother is a fish.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 067973225X, Paperback)

Faulkner's distinctive narrative structures--the uses of multiple points of view and the inner psychological voices of the characters--in one of its most successful incarnations here in As I Lay Dying. In the story, the members of the Bundren family must take the body of Addie, matriarch of the family, to the town where Addie wanted to be buried. Along the way, we listen to each of the members on the macabre pilgrimage, while Faulkner heaps upon them various flavors of disaster. Contains the famous chapter completing the equation about mothers and fish--you'll see.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:17 -0400)

At the heart of this 1930 novel is the Bundren family's bizarre journey to Jefferson to bury Addie, their wife and mother. Faulkner lets each family member--including Addie--and others along the way tell their private responses to Addie's life. As I Lay Dying is the harrowing, darkly comic tale of the Bundren family's trek across Mississippi to bury Addie, their wife and mother, as told by each of the family members--including Addie herself.… (more)

The Library of America

An edition of this book was published by The Library of America.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,913,639 books! | Top bar: Always visible