The Labyrinth of Solitude by Octavio Paz

The Labyrinth of Solitude (1950)

by Octavio Paz

1,205116,646 (3.8)59

English (7)  Spanish (3)  Dutch (1)  All (11)
This is not a book to be undertaken lightly for it is not meant for pleasurable reading. It exists for one purpose only: to describe in painstaking detail the persona of the Mexican people. Who should read it? Those of Mexican descent who wish to discover their roots and university students studying Mexican history and sociology. It should not be on The 1001 List.
  ShelleyAlberta | Jun 4, 2016 |
THE book to read if you want to start learning more about Mexico. I have lived in the country for five years and regret that I waited so long to read this. A truly great book. ( )
  PatrickMurtha | Feb 5, 2016 |
Confession time, I only read the first part of this book "The Labyrinth of Solitude" as it is on the list of 1001 books to read before you die.

While I ddnt hate it, it left me with no desire to read any more of Paz's work and with a sign of relief I removed the book mark and left the book. ( )
  BookWormM | Jan 15, 2016 |
I've tried. And tried again. And I hate it. I just can't get into it. I'm marking this as read because quite honestly having read half of it I feel I HAVE read it. But I am never going to read the second half. ( )
  sashinka | Jan 14, 2016 |
Most of the time I kept wondering what Mexicans today think about this work, as the text felt a little dated, especially Paz's brief mention of/about women (pages 66 & 197. There were small parts I liked, such as on pages: 184, 186, 208, 222, 228, 291 and 375, but I made the mistake of reading the last 200 pages (out of 400) in a day and a half. At a certain point, it felt like Paz was repeating himself rather than bringing up a lot of new points with the "Other Writings." Worth reading all the same.
  VeritysVeranda | Sep 29, 2013 |

Octavio Pazprimary authorall editionscalculated
Kemp, LysanderTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 080215042X, Paperback)

First published in 1950, The Labyrinth of Solitude addresses issues that are both seemingly eternal and resoundingly contemporary: the nature of political power in post-conquest Mexico, the relation of Native Americans to Europeans, the ubiquity of official corruption. Noting these matters earned Paz no small amount of trouble from the Mexican leadership, but it also brought him renown as a social critic. Paz, who went on to win the Nobel Prize for Literature, later voiced his disillusionment with all political systems--as the Mexican proverb has it, "all revolutions degenerate into governments"--but his call for democracy in this book has lately been reverberating throughout Mexico, making it timely once again.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:09 -0400)

Examines Mexican character and culture, pre-Columbian societies, and relations between Mexico and the United States.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,186,437 books! | Top bar: Always visible