Passionate Declarations: Essays on War and Justice

by Howard Zinn

1963104,917 (4.48)1
From the bestselling author of A People's History of the United States comes this selection of passionate, honest, and piercing essays looking at American political ideology. Howard Zinn brings to Passionate Declarations the same astringent style and provocative point of view that led more than a million people to buy his book A People's History of the United States. He directs his critique here to what he calls "American orthodoxies" -- that set of beliefs guardians of our culture consider sacrosanct: justifications for war, cynicism about human nature and violence, pride in our economic system, certainty of our freedom of speech, romanticization of representative government, confidence in our system of justice. Those orthodoxies, he believes, have a chilling effect on our capacity to think independently and to become active citizens in the long struggle for peace and justice.… (more)

Very moving and powerful. For those who can not stomach Zinn's much larger "A People's History of the United States", I highly recommend this outstanding book. ( )
  Zissou54 | Apr 23, 2014 |
In this collection of Zinn essays, readers will find passionate explanations and ideas. Although he can be a bit verbose, this is definitely an enlightening read worth checking out! Appropriate for college aged and beyond... ( )
  PigOfHappiness | Oct 8, 2008 |
Perhaps one of my favorite books of all time, Passionate Declarations helps the reader to understand that all war results in the deaths of far too many innocents to ever be considered "just". A book filled with insight and sensitivity from one of the most important historians and activists of all time. ( )
  mamorico | Nov 4, 2006 |
The idea, which entered Western consciousness several centuries ago, that black people are less than human, made possible the Atlantic slave trade, during which perhaps 40 million people died.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 157,060,262 books! | Top bar: Always visible