Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

Childhood's End (Del Rey Impact) by…

Childhood's End (Del Rey Impact) (original 1953; edition 2001)

by Arthur C. Clarke

Member:Jasper
Title:Childhood's End (Del Rey Impact)
Authors:Arthur C. Clarke
Info:Del Rey (2001), Edition: 1st Impact ed, Paperback, 256 pages

Childhood's End by Arthur C. Clarke (Author) (1953)

Nightfall by Isaac Asimov (weener)
    The Sentinel by Arthur C. Clarke (Cecrow)
    Cecrow: Contains the short story upon which Childhood's End is based.
    Lilith's Brood by Octavia E. Butler (Medellia)
    More Than Human by Theodore Sturgeon (alaskayo)
    alaskayo: Similar philosophy, stronger writing, & less dated by mid-century sci-fi cliches and ignorance.
    Cosmic Consciousness: A Study in the Evolution of the Human Mind by Richard Maurice Bucke (bertilak)
    The Mote in God's Eye by Larry Niven (sturlington)

English (159)  Danish (4)  Spanish (2)  French (1)  Hungarian (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (168)
Probably the most interesting and disturbing novel I have read. ( )
  rsb | Jun 7, 2019 |
I cannot put this down or put it away. Something about it compels me to read and reread, enjoying the way Clarke builds the story. The Prologue, the first chapter, is one of the most riveting intros I've ever read. But maybe that's just me. ( )
1 vote luskwater | Feb 11, 2019 |
Un clásico totalmente recomendable ( )
  maxtrek | Jan 30, 2019 |
Science fiction on a huge scale. As Clarke himself admits at the end, it is overly mystical; apparently it was written when "paraphysics" studies were taken more seriously. Worse than that, the story suffers from long info-dumps. In fact, there is hardly any story or characters. To his credit, Clarke's vision of a grand universe, with alien overlords (and their own overlords) looking over the destiny of all humanity, still sustains interest. ( )
1 vote breic | Jan 12, 2019 |
Loved the story, but didn't love the politics. I guess that comes with the territory of '50s white guy sci-fi. I almost want to give it a 3, but some of the little twists are just SO delightful.

Aside from the sporadic cringing, it kept a grin on my face and made me think. 👍 ( )
1 vote pnppl | Jan 10, 2019 |
I'm not sure Childhood's End is the first book my dad gave me, but it was one of the first, and it's certainly the one I remember most vividly. And it's probably a book that changed my life.
added by RBeffa | editDaily Kos, DOM9000 (Jul 8, 2011)

Clarke, Arthur C.Authorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Schjelderup, DaisyTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stevenson, DavidCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Summerer, Eric MichaelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Whelan, MichaelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The opinions expressed in this book are not those of the author.
The volcano that had reared Taratua up from the Pacific depths had been sleeping now for half a million years. (Original)
Before she flew to the launch site, Helena Lyakhov always went through the same ritual.  (1989 Updated Version)
This was the moment when history held its breath, and the present sheared asunder from the past as an iceberg splits from its parent cliffs, and goes sailing out to sea in lonely pride. All that the past ages had achieved was as nothing now; only one thought echoed and re-echoed through Mohan's brain: The human race was no longer alone.

Fine del XX secolo: misteriosi alieni detti "i Superni" impongono la fine di ogni ostilità sulla Terra, che inizia una vera e propria Età dell'oro. Ma Ian Rodricks, inquieto astrofisico, riesce a giungere clandestinamente il pianeta di origine dei Superni e scopre un'amara verità sul loro mondo e sulla loro civiltà che coinvolge anche il destino della Terra...
(piopas)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0345347951, Mass Market Paperback)

Without warning, giant silver ships from deep space appear in the skies above every major city on Earth. Manned by the Overlords, in fifty years, they eliminate ignorance, disease, and poverty. Then this golden age ends--and then the age of Mankind begins....

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:34 -0400)

The author questions the survival of mankind in this science fiction tale about Overlords from outer space who dominate the world.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,478,598 books! | Top bar: Always visible