Childhood's End by Arthur C. Clarke

Childhood's End (original 1953; edition 1953)

by Arthur C. Clarke

Member:G_Riv
Title:Childhood's End
Authors:Arthur C. Clarke
Info:Del Rey (1987), Edition: Reprint, Mass Market Paperback, 224 pages
Collections:Read, Owned, To re-read
Rating:****1/2
Tags:speculative

Childhood's End by Arthur C. Clarke (1953)

Nightfall by Isaac Asimov (weener)
    Lilith's Brood by Octavia E. Butler (Medellia)
    The Sentinel by Arthur C. Clarke (Cecrow)
    Cecrow: Contains the short story upon which Childhood's End is based.
    Cosmic Consciousness: A Study in the Evolution of the Human Mind by Richard Maurice Bucke (bertilak)
    More Than Human by Theodore Sturgeon (rickyrickyricky)
    rickyrickyricky: Similar philosophy, stronger writing, & less dated by mid-century sci-fi cliches and ignorance.

English (112)  Danish (4)  Spanish (2)  French (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (120)
So very 50s. Some really good parts that could have led to a great ending, rather than one that left me scratching my head. ( )
  bookwyrmm | Jul 28, 2015 |
I read this in my teen years. Headbutler gave it a double plus up thumb. I remember it being very good. ( )
  joeydag | Jul 23, 2015 |
Reread this after finishing The 5th Wave by Rick Yancey (reminded me of Clarke's brilliant novel for some reason) Just as fabulous as I remembered. One of those books that I HAD to read for high school and was so grateful to have been forced to read. Even more relevant in this day and age. Interesting to have reread as a parent. The final part of the novel is so much more devastating when you become a parent. This aspect (as River Song would say - Spoilers so I cannot say more) was lost to me as a teenager. This book is in my top 10 favorite novels and a must read for everyone. ( )
  mountie9 | May 9, 2015 |
The tale of the last generation of mankind on Earth. All man's development in space and travel are stopped by alien "overlords" who take over Earth, establishing a benevolent dictatorship which eliminates poverty, ignorance and disease. This golden age ends abruptly as the overlords bend to the will of a superior intelligence which demands Earth's destruction. ( )
  Tutter | Feb 23, 2015 |
I've read this book twice and never associated it with Clarke. Probably because I usually don't like his books, but I liked this one. Good story, good pacing. ( )
  kenzen | Feb 23, 2015 |
I'm not sure Childhood's End is the first book my dad gave me, but it was one of the first, and it's certainly the one I remember most vividly. And it's probably a book that changed my life.
added by paradoxosalpha | editDaily Kos, DOM9000 (Jul 8, 2011)

Arthur C. Clarkeprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Sawyer, Robert J.Narratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schjelderup, DaisyTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stevenson, DavidCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Summerer, Eric MichaelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The opinions expressed in this book are not those of the author.
The volcano that had reared Taratua up from the Pacific depths had been sleeping now for half a million years. (Original)
Before she flew to the launch site, Helena Lyakhov always went through the same ritual.  (1989 Updated Version)
This was the moment when history held its breath, and the present sheared asunder from the past as an iceberg splits from its parent cliffs, and goes sailing out to sea in lonely pride. All that the past ages had achieved was as nothing now; only one thought echoed and re-echoed through Mohan's brain: The human race was no longer alone.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0345347951, Mass Market Paperback)

Without warning, giant silver ships from deep space appear in the skies above every major city on Earth. Manned by the Overlords, in fifty years, they eliminate ignorance, disease, and poverty. Then this golden age ends--and then the age of Mankind begins....

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:34 -0400)

The author questions the survival of mankind in this science fiction tale about Overlords from outer space who dominate the world.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,481,909 books! | Top bar: Always visible