Childhood's End by Arthur C. Clarke

Childhood's End (original 1953; edition 1953)

by Arthur C. Clarke

Member:G_Riv
Title:Childhood's End
Authors:Arthur C. Clarke
Info:Del Rey (1987), Edition: Reprint, Mass Market Paperback, 224 pages
Collections:Read, Owned, To re-read
Rating:****1/2
Tags:speculative

Childhood's End by Arthur C. Clarke (1953)

Nightfall by Isaac Asimov (weener)
    Lilith's Brood by Octavia E. Butler (Medellia)
    The Sentinel by Arthur C. Clarke (Cecrow)
    Cecrow: Contains the short story upon which Childhood's End is based.
    Cosmic Consciousness: A Study in the Evolution of the Human Mind by Richard Maurice Bucke (bertilak)
    More Than Human by Theodore Sturgeon (rickyrickyricky)
    rickyrickyricky: Similar philosophy, stronger writing, & less dated by mid-century sci-fi cliches and ignorance.

English (111)  Danish (4)  Spanish (2)  French (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (119)
Evolution of humankind & its assimilation into the Overmind ( )
  kewlgeek | Jun 30, 2015 |
Reread this after finishing The 5th Wave by Rick Yancey (reminded me of Clarke's brilliant novel for some reason) Just as fabulous as I remembered. One of those books that I HAD to read for high school and was so grateful to have been forced to read. Even more relevant in this day and age. Interesting to have reread as a parent. The final part of the novel is so much more devastating when you become a parent. This aspect (as River Song would say - Spoilers so I cannot say more) was lost to me as a teenager. This book is in my top 10 favorite novels and a must read for everyone. ( )
  mountie9 | May 9, 2015 |
The tale of the last generation of mankind on Earth. All man's development in space and travel are stopped by alien "overlords" who take over Earth, establishing a benevolent dictatorship which eliminates poverty, ignorance and disease. This golden age ends abruptly as the overlords bend to the will of a superior intelligence which demands Earth's destruction. ( )
  Tutter | Feb 23, 2015 |
I've read this book twice and never associated it with Clarke. Probably because I usually don't like his books, but I liked this one. Good story, good pacing. ( )
  kenzen | Feb 23, 2015 |
Aliens invade earth in a peaceful takeover. They however do not reveal themselves to man for another 50 years but bring utopia to earth at the loss of human culture and identity. The first time the aliens reveal themselves in 2050, the aliens are seen to be creatures with barb tail, horns and wings. They appear to be Satan or demons but in the 50 years man is prepared to take in the image that they would not have been able to tolerate if they had been able to see them right away. At this juncture there is a whole dialogue on social engineering and the doing away with Christian religion as no longer needed. Other themes would include prejudice and evolution, and problems of an Utopian society. The first part of the book reminded me a lot of stories from the Bible. The unknown God who does not reveal his image to mankind. The second part brought back to me the message that Satan is a fallen angel who sets himself up in place of God. Later it is revealed that the overlords are not the masters, they are only doing the work of the Overmind and will leave when they are no longer needed. Then the children all leave earth to fuse with the Overmind as a kind of rapture, where they join this being and the earth is sucked of all its gravity and disappears. This is considered to be Clarke’s greatest work even though we know him for his 2001: A Space Odyssey. I did find the book fascinating considering that it was written in 1953. Clarke was quite futuristic. Another thing about the fifties, is that it really is the birth of the paperback. Paperback books took off as a growing industry and major change in publishing. While Peyton Place led the way in the American book business, Childhood's End first appeared in paperback and hardcover editions, with the paperback as the primary edition. ( )
1 vote Kristelh | Feb 21, 2015 |
I'm not sure Childhood's End is the first book my dad gave me, but it was one of the first, and it's certainly the one I remember most vividly. And it's probably a book that changed my life.
added by paradoxosalpha | editDaily Kos, DOM9000 (Jul 8, 2011)

Arthur C. Clarkeprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Sawyer, Robert J.Narratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schjelderup, DaisyTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stevenson, DavidCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Summerer, Eric MichaelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The opinions expressed in this book are not those of the author.
The volcano that had reared Taratua up from the Pacific depths had been sleeping now for half a million years. (Original)
Before she flew to the launch site, Helena Lyakhov always went through the same ritual.  (1989 Updated Version)
This was the moment when history held its breath, and the present sheared asunder from the past as an iceberg splits from its parent cliffs, and goes sailing out to sea in lonely pride. All that the past ages had achieved was as nothing now; only one thought echoed and re-echoed through Mohan's brain: The human race was no longer alone.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0345347951, Mass Market Paperback)

Without warning, giant silver ships from deep space appear in the skies above every major city on Earth. Manned by the Overlords, in fifty years, they eliminate ignorance, disease, and poverty. Then this golden age ends--and then the age of Mankind begins....

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:34 -0400)

The author questions the survival of mankind in this science fiction tale about Overlords from outer space who dominate the world.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,896,816 books! | Top bar: Always visible