Childhood's End (S.F. Masterworks) by…

Childhood's End (S.F. Masterworks) (original 1953; edition 2010)

by Arthur C. Clarke

From the Publisher: The Overlords appeared suddenly over every city-intellectually, technologically, and militarily superior to humankind. Benevolent, they made few demands: unify earth, eliminate poverty, and end war. With little rebellion, humankind agreed, and a golden age began. But at what cost? With the advent of peace, man ceases to strive for creative greatness, and a malaise settles over the human race. To those who resist, it becomes evident that the Overlords have an agenda of their own. As civilization approaches the crossroads, will the Overlords spell the end for humankind-or the beginning?… (more)
Member:othersam
Title:Childhood's End (S.F. Masterworks)
Authors:Arthur C. Clarke
Info:Gollancz (2010), Hardcover, 256 pages

Childhood's End by Arthur C. Clarke (Author) (1953)

Nightfall by Isaac Asimov (weener)
    Lilith's Brood by Octavia E. Butler (Medellia)
    The Sentinel by Arthur C. Clarke (Cecrow)
    Cecrow: Contains the short story upon which Childhood's End is based.
    Cosmic Consciousness: A Study in the Evolution of the Human Mind by Richard Maurice Bucke (bertilak)
    More Than Human by Theodore Sturgeon (alaskayo)
    alaskayo: Similar philosophy, stronger writing, & less dated by mid-century sci-fi cliches and ignorance.
    The Mote in God's Eye by Larry Niven (sturlington)

English (165)  Danish (4)  Spanish (2)  Dutch (2)  French (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (175)
This was a thrilling book by Arthur C. Clarke. There is much to like. Personally, my favourite sections were the first and last ones-- which I believe really permeated into the essence of what the novel is trying to express. A good primer and I hope to read more of his work! ( )
  DanielSTJ | Oct 23, 2019 |
Ik geef dit 2 sterren. Ooit, lang geleden is mij dit boek aangeraden, als een zeer goed SF boek. Dat vond ik dus niet.

Het eerste hoofdstuk leek wel aardig te beginnen, met zowel de Amerikanen als de Russen bezig met het bouwen van een raket. Tijdens deze bouw van deze schepen wordt de Aarde omcirkeld door diverse ruimteschepen. En dan het tweede hoofdstuk is plots vele jaren later, iets wat veel voorkomt in dit boek.
Het identificeren met een hoofdrol-speler is erg moeilijk. ( )
  EdwinKort | Oct 18, 2019 |
WTF?! ( )
  AnnaHernandez | Oct 17, 2019 |
The dilemma I have with this book, is that I love all of it, apart from one plot point, and that plot point turns out to be central to the plot. And man, do I hate that plot point.

Like all of Clarke's work, this is a book about ideas. Character development takes a back seat, but there are still unique characters who you grow to love. As far as "hard sci-fi" goes, I'm 50/50 on if this would be a good read for non-genre readers. The plot is interesting, and is a relativity quick read, with little to none in the way of techno-babble. And outside of that one plot point I hated, it made me excited to read more Clarke. ( )
  Fardo | Oct 15, 2019 |
Finally getting around to reading an old masterpiece. Enjoyed the book a lot and it was good to see that the mini-series that was on tv a few months ago stuck to the plot and its details rather faithfully.

The concept that racial memory is not time dependant was an interesting one. It would have been a hard choice at the end, to stay with the Overlords or stay on Earth as the last human. ( )
  joegibbs55 | Aug 31, 2019 |
I'm not sure Childhood's End is the first book my dad gave me, but it was one of the first, and it's certainly the one I remember most vividly. And it's probably a book that changed my life.
added by RBeffa | editDaily Kos, DOM9000 (Jul 8, 2011)

Clarke, Arthur C.Authorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Schjelderup, DaisyTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stevenson, DavidCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Summerer, Eric MichaelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Whelan, MichaelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The opinions expressed in this book are not those of the author.
The volcano that had reared Taratua up from the Pacific depths had been sleeping now for half a million years. (Original)
Before she flew to the launch site, Helena Lyakhov always went through the same ritual.  (1989 Updated Version)
This was the moment when history held its breath, and the present sheared asunder from the past as an iceberg splits from its parent cliffs, and goes sailing out to sea in lonely pride. All that the past ages had achieved was as nothing now; only one thought echoed and re-echoed through Mohan's brain: The human race was no longer alone.

Fine del XX secolo: misteriosi alieni detti "i Superni" impongono la fine di ogni ostilità sulla Terra, che inizia una vera e propria Età dell'oro. Ma Ian Rodricks, inquieto astrofisico, riesce a giungere clandestinamente il pianeta di origine dei Superni e scopre un'amara verità sul loro mondo e sulla loro civiltà che coinvolge anche il destino della Terra...
(piopas)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 139,722,463 books! | Top bar: Always visible