Childhood's End by Arthur C. Clarke

Childhood's End (original 1953; edition 2001)

by Arthur C. Clarke

Member:prehensel
Title:Childhood's End
Authors:Arthur C. Clarke
Info:Del Rey (2001), Edition: 1st Impact ed, Paperback, 256 pages
Collections:Read, Read but unowned
Rating:**1/2
Tags:Read, Sci-Fi

Childhood's End by Arthur C. Clarke (1953)

Nightfall by Isaac Asimov (weener)
    Lilith's Brood by Octavia E. Butler (Medellia)
    The Sentinel by Arthur C. Clarke (Cecrow)
    Cecrow: Contains the short story upon which Childhood's End is based.
    Cosmic Consciousness: A Study in the Evolution of the Human Mind by Richard Maurice Bucke (bertilak)
    More than human by Theodore Sturgeon (rickyrickyricky)
    rickyrickyricky: Similar philosophy, stronger writing, & less dated by mid-century sci-fi cliches and ignorance.

English (131)  Danish (4)  Spanish (2)  French (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (139)
This started out so great. Then I started to read the third section. So disappointing... ( )
  jodiesohl | Jun 25, 2016 |
the story line was interesting initially but I was actually really unhappy with the ending...

The interaction between the Humans and the Overlords was the best part of the story. The control they exerted without violence -- just the threat (or the show of what they COULD do if they chose to) was enough to make the humans fall into line. Even the "rebellious humans" were tame in what they tried to do.

The book and writing was good enough for me to rate it a 3 but that's the highest I could go. The book was a little over 300 pages and it still took me 15 days to read it. ( )
  bhabeck | Jun 4, 2016 |
It has been several decades since I last read this book. I started reading it with some trepidation -- would it hold up to my memories? How dated would it be?

The answer is that the technological trappings are indeed dated, but they are not the heart of the story. That has to do with what mankind is, how we as a species will grow and change, and what makes us human. While the author now disagrees with his conclusions (as stated in his foreword), it is still an interesting exploration of those themes.

The hard part for me is deciding how I feel about the novel. It is well-told and well-written. It made me think. Like the author, I don't think I like the ending at all now; in my youth I thought it marvelous, though. It is a classic as no one really explored the topic as well as Clarke did back then.

If you like classic, thought-provoking science fiction, then I think you should read this book. I cannot predict who will like it. ( )
  Jean_Sexton | May 13, 2016 |
I found this 1953 sci fi classic to be well-written and thought-provoking but I didn't like the ending. Clarke in the foreword hinted that he himself didn't like the ending anymore (~50 years after it was first written) when he mentions that after working with Yorkshire Television on a show about paranormal abilities, he discovered that the paranormal was almost all fraudulent and no longer believed in it. ( )
  leslie.98 | Apr 13, 2016 |
Even though this book was published in 1953, it holds up very well 60 years later. Of course, not perfectly but much better than some other sci-fi novels written at the time. Perhaps that is because Clarke, unlike contemporaries such as Isaac Asimov, doesn't spend as much time explaining the technologies, instead the they function only as tools. Themes of societal control, acceptance, utopia, and the quest for and limits of human knowledge. A "hard" sci-fi classic! ( )
  Kyle_Winward | Apr 8, 2016 |
I'm not sure Childhood's End is the first book my dad gave me, but it was one of the first, and it's certainly the one I remember most vividly. And it's probably a book that changed my life.
added by RBeffa | editDaily Kos, DOM9000 (Jul 8, 2011)

Arthur C. Clarkeprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Sawyer, Robert J.Narratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schjelderup, DaisyTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stevenson, DavidCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Summerer, Eric MichaelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The opinions expressed in this book are not those of the author.
The volcano that had reared Taratua up from the Pacific depths had been sleeping now for half a million years. (Original)
Before she flew to the launch site, Helena Lyakhov always went through the same ritual.  (1989 Updated Version)
This was the moment when history held its breath, and the present sheared asunder from the past as an iceberg splits from its parent cliffs, and goes sailing out to sea in lonely pride. All that the past ages had achieved was as nothing now; only one thought echoed and re-echoed through Mohan's brain: The human race was no longer alone.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0345347951, Mass Market Paperback)

Without warning, giant silver ships from deep space appear in the skies above every major city on Earth. Manned by the Overlords, in fifty years, they eliminate ignorance, disease, and poverty. Then this golden age ends--and then the age of Mankind begins....

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:34 -0400)

The author questions the survival of mankind in this science fiction tale about Overlords from outer space who dominate the world.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,721,831 books! | Top bar: Always visible