Ice Storm by Anne Stuart

Ice Storm

by Anne Stuart

Series: Ice (4)

207656,585 (3.77)4

It's second-chance romance, Anne Stuart style!

I'll come right out and say it, I thought I wouldn't like this one. I almost skipped it, thinking I'll maybe come back to it sometime in the future. What a mistake that would have been.

It's just as gripping and action-packed as the first three books. It does have a slightly different format, with flashbacks and present, but once I got used to it it was great.

It follows a character you know very well by now, Madame Lambert. Except, for how much you've been in her head in the previous two books, you might as well have skimmed her parts, because in the end everything you think you know about her is wrong.

I thought she was in her late forties, early fifties, a sophisticated French woman with an air of superiority and indifference to her. And that's exactly what she wanted you to believe. Seriously, great writing. Was it planned? Did the author just spin it to work in her favor? It doesn't matter because it works.
I liked Isobel. She's the Ice Queen, cool and calm and collected, pulling every string and keeping up appearances of cool indifference. I'll admit I thought I wouldn't have cared for her. But in the end she turns out to be such a great heroine.
The story goes back eighteen years and shows you a much younger Mary Isobel falling in love with a fellow American student who ends up betraying her in the worst way possible.
Chaos, lust, confusion. His job here was done.
Killian Killian Killian. I really can't say as much as I want to about him without spoiling anything. Yes, he's just as ruthless, a mercenary with no scruples, a manipulative monster, pretty much everything I'm used to the heroes in these books being. I thought he was an asshole and a jerk and just about any other demeaning adjective out there. At times I thought he was a sweet jerk. But jerk nonetheless. This is the first time that the hero blatantly uses the heroine for his own pleasure, just because he knows he can. I hated him. But I loved him. Call me crazy.
However, there's more to Serafin the Butcher than meets the eye. While he is a typical hero for this series, there was something kind about him. He has this weird affectionate fascination with Isobel. He never insults her in his head as I'm used to. He doesn't want revenge for how she left him to die all those years ago, even though he gets enough opportunities for it. I kept thinking, what in the world is going on? And I had my suspicions. I even came very close. But I was still wrong. You will LOVE the twist.

I thought maybe Isobel, being an operative herself, would be less of a damsel in distress. Yeah, she was, but not too much. The power keeps shifting from Isobel to Killian and back, but he is still the one that takes care of her most of the time. I thought present day Isobel and Killian had awesome chemistry. The two people from the flashbacks, not so much - probably because I felt they were rushed. They bicker constantly, it's a real love/hate relationship. Loved the romance here, even though it wasn't very romantic. They were a perfect match.

I liked the plot, there's a mystery to it and it keeps you wondering. And I loved that the author keeps bringing back old characters.
A couple of graphic sex scenes, yes. Do I even have to say this anymore? It's a habit of mine. You have been warned.

Yes, Bastien shows up (and so do Peter and Reno). By now I'm pretty much resigned to how much I loved Bastien. When he showed up I welcomed him with open arms. It's crazy, but whatever. Just go with the flow, you can't fight Bastien. He completely stole every scene he was in, with his cool, detached efficiency, always consistent with the character you fell in love with in Black Ice.

In conclusion, Black Ice is still my favorite of the series. But in Ice Storm you get another reader gripper that lives up to this wonderful, but crazy series. I keep giving these books five stars, it feels weird.
Now, fifth book. It's Reno's story and I just know I'm in for a great ride. ( )
  AriBookzilla | Sep 21, 2013 |
Amazon received
  romsfuulynn | Apr 28, 2013 |
Had a lot of potential, but Isobel Lambert's transformation from ruthless head of an extra-governmental group of assassins to a burned-out wreck barely hanging on would have been a lot more engaging if she hadn't been portrayed as TSTL in this book.

I think the problem was that the author was trying to clue the readers in to the idea that the hero wasn't as horrible as he appeared, but the way it was done just made the heroine look dim in comparison.

Giving it three stars because there were a few moments where I could see what the author was trying to do, and those moments shined. Unfortunately, those moments were buried under what appeared to be a lot of subconscious -isms that really weighed down what could have been. ( )
  thewalkinggirl | Oct 24, 2012 |
I will confess, this has been my least-favorite book of the Ice Series, though I did enjoy it in a general sense. I found a certain incongruity towards the end with Isobel's character. I realize the novel built up her vulnerability and departure from Ice Queen-hood, but still... there were moments when she acted less like a trained professional in charge of a covert operation and more like an emotionally frustrated twenty-something. It was just too much of a personality jump for me. What bothered me the most about this novel, though, was Killian. He's an interesting, aggravating character, but he felt less developed than, say, Bastien or Taka. He never really came together for me. The backstory was the most interesting part, with everything else coming across as filler material. Which is a shame because I love Anne Stuart's work. ( )
  TheBooknerd | Jul 2, 2008 |
Isobel Lambert is the powerful head of a covert mercenary organization called The Committee. Serafin is a mercenary, assassin and the most dangerous man in the world. Seventeen years ago Isobel shot Serafin and left him for dead. Now it looks as if he's tracked her down for revenge. But Isobel knows all too well that looks can be deceiving...and that's what she's counting on to keep her cover in this international masquerade of murder.

This book starts out 17 years ago when Isobel shot Serafin. Isobel had never shot anyone before. She stood there numb, unmoving and her hand and arm tingling with the recoil of the gun. Isobel didn't know whether to check to see if he was dead or just leave before someone came by and saw what she had done...so she calmly straighted her hair and put the gun away and walked away from the man she had shot.

From present day forward you than will get a chance to read what happens when these two rivals meet each other face to face. One word "Explosive" literally! See what happens when these two are forced to team up and try to survive terrorists, a mole out to kill them, keep from killing each other along the way, and all while travelling from country to country.

Once you start reading this book you won't be able to put it down till the last page. That's what happened to me. I started this book on a Saturday morning and had it finished by Saturday afternoon.

If you like the movie Mr. and Mrs. Smith, than you will need to check this book out and the other books by Anne Stuart in her "Ice" Series. Anne Stuart brings her unique love of Japanese rock and roll into some of her books. ( )
  Cherylk | May 25, 2008 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0778325008, Mass Market Paperback)

Behind her mask is a deadly secret?

The powerful head of the covert mercenary organization The Committee, Isobel Lambert is a sleek, sophisticated professional who comes into contact with some of the most dangerous people in the world. But beneath Isobel's cool exterior a ghost exists, haunting her with memories of another life?a life that ended long ago.

But Isobel's past and present are about to collide when Serafin, mercenary, assassin and the most dangerous man in the world, makes a deal with The Committee. Seventeen years ago Isobel shot him and left him for dead. Now it looks as if he's tracked her down for revenge. But Isobel knows all too well that looks can be deceiving?and that's what she's counting on to keep her cover in this international masquerade of murder.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:44:50 -0400)

Seventeen years ago Isobel shot Serafin, and left him for dead. Has he tracked her down for revenge... or pleasure?

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,305,448 books! | Top bar: Always visible