The Diving Pool: Three Novellas by Yoko…

The Diving Pool: Three Novellas

by Yoko Ogawa

English (21)  Spanish (1)  All languages (22)
I first encountered Ogawa years ago when I read her short story "The Cafeteria in the Evening and a Pool in the Rain" in the New Yorker. That story was wonderfully atmospheric and dreary: a beautiful little piece that stayed with you. The novellas (can they even be called that? they're more like short stories) in "The Diving Pool" are similarly atmospheric but unlike "Cafeteria", they're instantly forgettable. There's something quietly sinister about the stories, but tbh they're just not that interesting or substantive. The last story ("The Dormitory") is engaging and creepy, but despite its excellent premise, the ending is a huge let-down. Don't get me wrong-- I think Ogawa is a good writer, but this collection is SO short. A larger collection might have featured some stronger stories and a more balanced vision. ( )
  megantron | Jan 2, 2015 |
This is a collection of three novellas, originally published separately.

The Diving Pool is a well-constructed story, with a good balance that builds nicely to the climax. It works very well as a coming of age story.

The second story, Pregnancy Diary, bored me. Something very early on in the story telegraphed the ending to me. I really did not care to go through all that it took to get there. I tried hard not to skim.

Dormitory, the last of the three, was also the least of the three. It in the vein of stories by Saki H.H. Mu ( )
  seeword | Feb 23, 2014 |
Definitely strange. The writing is simple. The stories are creepy. I can't say I like them, exactly, though they certainly leave an impression. I think I liked the last story the best. ( )
  tercat | Nov 19, 2013 |
Very spare prose. Strange beginnings and unresolved endings. These are my kind of stories, strange little snapshots of humanity.
  JessicaReadsThings | Nov 12, 2013 |

Yoko Ogawaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Snyder, StephenTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

The first major English translation of one of contemporary Japan's bestselling and most celebrated authors

From Akutagawa Award-winning author Yoko Ogawa comes a haunting trio of novellas about love, fertility, obsession, and how even the most innocent gestures may contain a hairline crack of cruel intent.

A lonely teenage girl falls in love with her foster brother as she watches him leap from a high diving board into a pool--a peculiar infatuation that sends unexpected ripples through her life.

A young woman records the daily moods of her pregnant sister in a diary, taking meticulous note of a pregnancy that may or may not be a hallucination--but whose hallucination is it, hers or her sister's?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:21 -0400)

"From Akutagawa award-winning author Yoko Ogawa comes a haunting trio of novellas about love, fertility, obsession, and how even the most innocent gestures may contain a hairline crack of cruel intent." "A lonely teenage girl falls in love with her foster brother as she watches him leap from a high diving board into a pool - a peculiar infatuation that sends unexpected ripples through her life." "A young woman records the daily moods of her pregnant sister in a diary, taking meticulous note of a pregnancy that may or may not be a hallucination - but whose hallucination is it, hers or her sister's?" "A woman nostalgically visits her old college dormitory on the outskirts of Tokyo, a boarding house run by a mysterious triple amputee with one leg. Hauntingly spare, beautiful, and twisted, The Diving Pool is a disquieting and at times darkly humorous collection of novellas about normal people who suddenly discover their own dark possibilities."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,516,170 books! | Top bar: Always visible