Grendel by John Gardner

Grendel (original 1971; edition 2004)

by John Gardner, Jeffrey Ford (Introduction)

Member:konallis
Title:Grendel
Authors:John Gardner
Other authors:Jeffrey Ford (Introduction)
Info:London : Gollancz, 2004, c1971.
Tags:fantasy, historical fantasy, retelling, read 2018

Grendel by John Gardner (1971)

Recently added bycorban.johnson, littlesquirrel, Wapshin, konallis, ajst93, MicheleBW, private library, Bhinerfeld
    Eaters of the Dead by Michael Crichton (sturlington)
    An Absolute Gentleman by R. M. Kinder (ehines)
    ehines: Another fine "from the monster's point of view" kind of story.
    Little, Big by John Crowley (sturlington)
    Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West by Gregory Maguire (mcenroeucsb)
    Wide Sargasso Sea by Jean Rhys (CGlanovsky)
    CGlanovsky: Classics retold to give voice to silent characters important to their plots.
    Mickelsson's Ghosts by John Gardner (stellabymoor)
    The Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller (fugitive)
    fugitive: Another brilliantly retold classic by a modern author.
    Gojiro by Mark Jacobson (fugitive)
    fugitive: Another autobiography of a real monster.
    Orphans of Chaos by John C. Wright (infiniteletters)
1970s (104)

Wow. I feel like much of this book just went over my head... but what I did grasp (or at least what I think I grasped) took my breath away.
This novel is more philosophical than plot-driven, and these thoughts could have been expressed by any character. So why did John Gardner choose Beowulf's Grendel?

"Poor Grendel's had an accident... so may you all." ( )
  bookishblond | Oct 24, 2018 |
I could not get enough of this book when I read it. ( )
  Katie80 | Oct 8, 2018 |
Beautiful, smart, funny. ( )
  Stubb | Aug 28, 2018 |
I just re-read this book because it is on the rising 12th grade CP English reading list. I still don't think this is a good choice for CP kids, who have probably not read Beowulf. Grendel spends too much time being philosophical to appeal to 17 year olds, in my opinion. ( )
  ioplibrarian | Aug 26, 2018 |
My son read this book for his AP English class. Apparently I need someone to explain it to me! My son's annotations were only slightly helpful. Well, I'm glad HE enjoyed the book. ( )
  CSKteach | Jul 20, 2018 |

Is a retelling of

Has the adaptation

And if the Babe is born a Boy
He's given to a Woman Old,
Who nails him down upon a rock,
Catches his shrieks in cups of gold.
-- William Blake
For Joel and Lucy
The old ram stands looking over rockslides, stupidly triumphant.
I touch the door with my fingertips and it bursts, for all its fire-forged bands--it jumps away like a terrified deer--and I plunge into the silent, hearth-lit hall with a laugh that I wouldn't much care to wake up to myself.
The sun walks mindlessly overhead, the shadows lengthen and shorten as if by plan.
And so begins the twelfth year of my idiotic war. The pain of it! The stupidity!
I understood that the world was nothing: a mechanical chaos of casual, brute enmity on which we stupidly impose our hopes and fears. I understood that, finally and absolutely, I alone exist. All the rest, I saw, is merely what pushes me, or what I push against, blindly—as blindly as all that is not myself pushes back.
What was he? The man had changed the world, had torn up the past by its thick, gnarled roots and had transmuted it, and they, who knew the truth, remembered it his way--and so did I.

Grendel is a 1971 parallel novel by American author John Gardner. It is a retelling of the Anglo-Saxon epic poem Beowulf from the perspective of the antagonist, Grendel. The novel deals with finding meaning in the world, the power of literature and myth, and the nature of good and evil.

AR 5.9, 6 Pts

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0679723110, Paperback)

Grendel is a beautiful and heartbreaking modern retelling of the Beowulf epic from the point of view of the monster, Grendel, the villain of the 8th-century Anglo-Saxon epic. This book benefits from both of Gardner's careers: in addition to his work as a novelist, Gardner was a noted professor of medieval literature and a scholar of ancient languages.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:47 -0400)

The first and most terrifying monster in English literature, from the great early epic BEOWULF, tells his side of the story.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,760,057 books! | Top bar: Always visible