Escape by Carolyn Jessop

Escape (original 2007; edition 2008)

by Carolyn Jessop

1,207796,630 (3.89)39
Member:Kadeeae
Title:Escape
Authors:Carolyn Jessop
Info:Penguin Books Ltd (2008), Paperback, 432 pages
Tags:fundamentalist, latter day saints, escape

Escape by Carolyn Jessop (2007)

Stolen Innocence: My Story of Growing Up in a Polygamous Sect, Becoming a Teenage Bride, and Breaking Free of Warren Jeffs by Elissa Wall (dara85)
    Infidel by Ayaan Hirsi Ali (krazy4katz)
    krazy4katz: Both books describe women trapped by religious dogma and how they struggle to break free.
    Under the Banner of Heaven: A Story of Violent Faith by Jon Krakauer (itbgc)
    Lost Boy by Brent W. Jeffs (schatzi)
    schatzi: both books deal with people who broke free from the FDLS cult
    Church of Lies by Flora Jessop (BlaisesLibrary)
    Prophet's Prey: My Seven-Year Investigation into Warren Jeffs and the Fundamentalist Church of Latter-Day Saints by Sam Brower (rxtheresa)
    rxtheresa: Carolyn Jessop escaped from the FLDS so much of the same information is covered from a woman insider's point of view.

English (77)  Dutch (1)  All languages (78)
Interesting information about the Jessop Morman group and the experience of one girl who tries to conform to her arrange marriage to Merrill a 51 year old elder in the church. My enjoyment of the book was marred by the writing. While purportedly edited and written with an experienced author I found it rambling and lacking in both emotion and focus. ( )
  CarterPJ | Nov 25, 2014 |
This is the true story about Carolyn Jessop, the first woman to successfully sue a member of the FLDS church for full custody of her children.

When she was 18 years old, she was coerced into an arranged marriage to Merril Jessop, 32 years her senior and already married to 3 women. She had 8 children over 15 years, and endured psychological abuse from her husband and also his other wives.

Carolyn was miserable for years, but felt trapped. Life within the FLDS however was becoming more dangerous once Warren Jeff's took control of the church, and she realized that the FLDS was turning into a cult, and she had to get her children out. In 2003, taking advantage of the fact that Merril was out of town, she fled with her children, $20 to her name, and barely enough gas in the tank of her van to get them to the first stop towards freedom.

I found Carolyn's story very intriguing, and she showed great courage doing what she had to do to protect her children while living in that environment. Her reports on life within the FLDS to the Utah attorney general helped to put its leader, Warren Jeffs, behind bars. What is really sad to me is how many families are still living within FLDS, either because they have been brainwashed to believe in it, or they truly feel they have no choice but to stay. ( )
  mom2acat | Oct 13, 2014 |
A very brave and courageous woman. The book is hard to read in places does to the horrendous circumstances this lady endured, but still a good read. ( )
  BookReaderHere | Jul 27, 2014 |
it's a compelling story; I just wish it were better written. ( )
  KRoan | Jul 25, 2014 |
This was the 2nd book on the subject and undoubtedly the BEST written.
I was unaware that the people in the book were on the news and the final Warren Jeffs Trial was underway.
Carolyn Jessop tells her story honestly and in sometimes even brutal, shocking detail.
No ther book written on the subject flows as this one. It is a MUST read book for any woman, Mormon or Christian or Athiest. We have all wondered HOW the women we see on the news want to take their children back to the life on Warren Jeffs compound. Carolyn Jessops shares with us the intimate moments spent curled up on her grandmothers lap listening to the stories told of their faith. As children they know nothing but this life. They are born and bred to believe just as we trusted our parents and grandparents.

Her 2nd book ties up the questions of "What happened?". ( )
  Strawberryga | Dec 28, 2013 |
Below, Slate flags Carolyn's most intriguing, strange, and heartbreaking allegations.
added by lquilter | editSlate, Torie Bosch (Apr 16, 2008)

I dedicate this book to my eight children: Arthur, Betty, LuAnne, Andrew, Patrick, Merrilee, Harrison, and Bryson. My love for you knows no bounds. Even in my darkest days, you always gave me the meaning and reason I needed to go on.

This book is also dedicated to the women and children who may feel as desperately trapped by polygamy as I did and may wonder if they even deserve to dream of freedom and safety. You do.
Escape. The moment had come. I had been watching and waiting for months.

The dramatic first-person account of life inside an ultra-fundamentalist American religious sect, and one woman’s courageous flight to freedom with her eight children.

When she was eighteen years old, Carolyn Jessop was coerced into an arranged marriage with a total stranger: a man thirty-two years her senior. Merril Jessop already had three wives. But arranged plural marriages were an integral part of Carolyn’s heritage: She was born into and raised in the Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (FLDS), the radical offshoot of the Mormon Church that had settled in small communities along the Arizona-Utah border. Over the next fifteen years, Carolyn had eight children and withstood her husband’s psychological abuse and the watchful eyes of his other wives who were locked in a constant battle for supremacy.

Carolyn’s every move was dictated by her husband’s whims. He decided where she lived and how her children would be treated. He controlled the money she earned as a school teacher. He chose when they had sex; Carolyn could only refuse—at her peril. For in the FLDS, a wife’s compliance with her husband determined how much status both she and her children held in the family. Carolyn was miserable for years and wanted out, but she knew that if she tried to leave and got caught, her children would be taken away from her. No woman in the country had ever escaped from the FLDS and managed to get her children out, too. But in 2003, Carolyn chose freedom over fear and fled her home with her eight children. She had $20 to her name.

Escape exposes a world tantamount to a prison camp, created by religious fanatics who, in the name of God, deprive their followers the right to make choices, force women to be totally subservient to men, and brainwash children in church-run schools. Against this background, Carolyn Jessop’s flight takes on an extraordinary, inspiring power. Not only did she manage a daring escape from a brutal environment, she became the first woman ever granted full custody of her children in a contested suit involving the FLDS. And in 2006, her reports to the Utah attorney general on church abuses formed a crucial part of the case that led to the arrest of their notorious leader, Warren Jeffs.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:50:36 -0400)

At 18, Carolyn Jessop was coerced into an arranged marriage with a total stranger, 32 years her senior, who already had three wives. Arranged plural marriages were part of her heritage in the radical offshoot of the Mormon Church that had settled along the Arizona-Utah border. Over the next fifteen years, Carolyn had eight children and withstood her husband's psychological abuse and the watchful eyes of his other wives. Her every move was dictated by her husband's whims--in the FLDS, a wife's compliance determines her status, and her children's, in the family. Carolyn was miserable and wanted out, but no woman had ever managed to get her children out of the FLDS. But in 2003, Carolyn chose freedom and fled with her eight children. And in 2006, her reports formed a crucial part of the case that led to the arrest of the sect's notorious leader, Warren Jeffs.--From publisher description.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,333,606 books! | Top bar: Always visible