Escape by Carolyn Jessop

Escape (original 2007; edition 2007)

by Carolyn Jessop, Laura Palmer, Alison Fraser (Reader)

Member:CindyFrag
Title:Escape
Authors:Carolyn Jessop
Other authors:Laura Palmer, Alison Fraser (Reader)
Info:Random House Audio (2007), Edition: Abridged, Audio CD
Tags:Audiobook

Escape by Carolyn Jessop (2007)

Stolen Innocence: My Story of Growing Up in a Polygamous Sect, Becoming a Teenage Bride, and Breaking Free of Warren Jeffs by Elissa Wall (dara85)
    Infidel by Ayaan Hirsi Ali (krazy4katz)
    krazy4katz: Both books describe women trapped by religious dogma and how they struggle to break free.
    Under the Banner of Heaven: A Story of Violent Faith by Jon Krakauer (itbgc)
    Lost Boy by Brent W. Jeffs (schatzi)
    schatzi: both books deal with people who broke free from the FDLS cult
    Church of Lies by Flora Jessop (BlaisesLibrary)
    Prophet's Prey: My Seven-Year Investigation into Warren Jeffs and the Fundamentalist Church of Latter-Day Saints by Sam Brower (rxtheresa)
    rxtheresa: Carolyn Jessop escaped from the FLDS so much of the same information is covered from a woman insider's point of view.

English (87)  Dutch (1)  All languages (88)
Compulsive and disturbing story. As others say, it is a difficult one to put down and I experienced quite a range of emotions as I listened to the audio edition.* While I expected the book to cover brainwashing, child abuse and violence against women, what I did not expect were the brief but shocking incidents of animal abuse. I was surprised by her ability to go to college but without doing so, I don't believe she would have ever escaped or written her story. I found the inner tensions and dysfunctions of the sister-wives illuminating. Aside from the roller coaster of drama which I expected, I understand more about why women stay in such relationships and how they survive. If she had been more forthright about her own contribution to some of the dysfunction the book would have had a more balanced feel but it is **her** story and given all the pressure to always confess her own shortcomings, it makes sense why she withheld it. I have checked out her second book from the library as I have noticed a review that says the first half goes over much of the same material. I would like to be able to scan actual pages before while reading it.

I am so happy to not have been born in to any such cult or fundamentalist religion. Her story also makes me realize how fortunate I was in finding my own husband who is really a wonderful man to share my life with.

*Which has the added benefit of a short interview with Carolyn Jessop. ( )
  KateSavage | Mar 29, 2019 |
Raw and believable. It’s astounding this goes on in America. ( )
  csobolak | Nov 3, 2018 |
This is a stunning and compelling book about the life in and escape from a FLDS church cult community. The scope of this Mormon sect, their power, and their financial strength is frightening. The practice of keeping people uneducated and, therefore, compliant, is being perpetuated in our country now under different guises. Carolyn Jessop is an incredibly inspiring woman! ( )
  bookishblond | Oct 24, 2018 |
My wife read and suggested it to me. Will it soon be historical non-fiction? ( )
  ksmedberg | Aug 15, 2018 |
Review: Escape by Carolyn Jessop. 05/27/2018

Carolyn Jessop tells the shocking story of being raised in a secretive polygamy religious group. (FLDS) Fundamentalist Latter- Day Saints on the border of Arizona and Utah. Her escape after many years and eight children was courageous, heart-wrenching account is absolutely factual. This book reminds me that truth can indeed be much, stranger than fiction. When you read over 10,000 followers to any cult group exist in the twenty-first-century is astounding beyond belief. I would never put down any form of religion but when innocent ten-year-old girls and anyone under age are forced to marry a seventy-year-old man or any adult male is horrible. The former leader of this group had a hundred and eighty wives and when he died his wives were placed in other polygamist homes.

The punishment these children had to endure a savage beating of other mothers in the home. Carolyn’s home had five wives that undermined each other whenever they could. As far as I knew is that all the wives are insightful of each other and interact with respect. I think the respect went out the window the first ten pages of this book. Carolyn explained heartwarming scenes as degrading and devaluing women, domestic and child abuse and brainwashing followers to succumb their religion.

After the escape Warren Jeffs, the field prophet was apprehended and with other cult leaders will be brought to justice. Carolyn’s ex-husband Merril Jessop did all he could to get her and his children back but Carolyn fought him through the courts and finally the children were awarded to her and she had her freedom. ( )
  Juan-banjo | Jun 2, 2018 |
Below, Slate flags Carolyn's most intriguing, strange, and heartbreaking allegations.
added by lquilter | editSlate, Torie Bosch (Apr 16, 2008)

Jessop, Carolynprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Palmer, Laurasecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
I dedicate this book to my eight children: Arthur, Betty, LuAnne, Andrew, Patrick, Merrilee, Harrison, and Bryson. My love for you knows no bounds. Even in my darkest days, you always gave me the meaning and reason I needed to go on.

This book is also dedicated to the women and children who may feel as desperately trapped by polygamy as I did and may wonder if they even deserve to dream of freedom and safety. You do.
Escape. The moment had come. I had been watching and waiting for months.

The dramatic first-person account of life inside an ultra-fundamentalist American religious sect, and one woman’s courageous flight to freedom with her eight children.

When she was eighteen years old, Carolyn Jessop was coerced into an arranged marriage with a total stranger: a man thirty-two years her senior. Merril Jessop already had three wives. But arranged plural marriages were an integral part of Carolyn’s heritage: She was born into and raised in the Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (FLDS), the radical offshoot of the Mormon Church that had settled in small communities along the Arizona-Utah border. Over the next fifteen years, Carolyn had eight children and withstood her husband’s psychological abuse and the watchful eyes of his other wives who were locked in a constant battle for supremacy.

Carolyn’s every move was dictated by her husband’s whims. He decided where she lived and how her children would be treated. He controlled the money she earned as a school teacher. He chose when they had sex; Carolyn could only refuse—at her peril. For in the FLDS, a wife’s compliance with her husband determined how much status both she and her children held in the family. Carolyn was miserable for years and wanted out, but she knew that if she tried to leave and got caught, her children would be taken away from her. No woman in the country had ever escaped from the FLDS and managed to get her children out, too. But in 2003, Carolyn chose freedom over fear and fled her home with her eight children. She had $20 to her name.

Escape exposes a world tantamount to a prison camp, created by religious fanatics who, in the name of God, deprive their followers the right to make choices, force women to be totally subservient to men, and brainwash children in church-run schools. Against this background, Carolyn Jessop’s flight takes on an extraordinary, inspiring power. Not only did she manage a daring escape from a brutal environment, she became the first woman ever granted full custody of her children in a contested suit involving the FLDS. And in 2006, her reports to the Utah attorney general on church abuses formed a crucial part of the case that led to the arrest of their notorious leader, Warren Jeffs.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:26 -0400)

At 18, Carolyn Jessop was coerced into an arranged marriage with a total stranger, 32 years her senior, who already had three wives. Arranged plural marriages were part of her heritage in the radical offshoot of the Mormon Church that had settled along the Arizona-Utah border. Over the next fifteen years, Carolyn had eight children and withstood her husband's psychological abuse and the watchful eyes of his other wives. Her every move was dictated by her husband's whims--in the FLDS, a wife's compliance determines her status, and her children's, in the family. Carolyn was miserable and wanted out, but no woman had ever managed to get her children out of the FLDS. But in 2003, Carolyn chose freedom and fled with her eight children. And in 2006, her reports formed a crucial part of the case that led to the arrest of the sect's notorious leader, Warren Jeffs.--From publisher description.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,182,613 books! | Top bar: Always visible