Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas by Hunter S.…

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas (1971)

by Hunter S. Thompson

Fear And Loathing in America: The Brutal Odyssey of an Outlaw Journalist by Hunter S. Thompson (Scrub)
    The Curse of Lono by Hunter S. Thompson (gonzobrarian)
    gonzobrarian: The Curse of Lono may very well be the belated sequel to Fear and Loathing in LV; an older, more refined Thompson has savage epiphany in Hawai'i.
    A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole (mcenroeucsb)
    mcenroeucsb: Books with Delusional/Enlightened Outcast protagonists
    Budding Prospects by T.C. Boyle (mcenroeucsb)
    The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test by Tom Wolfe (mcenroeucsb)
    Inferno by August Strindberg (andejons)
    andejons: Both are filled with madness, paranoia, and fiction that does a fine job of masquerading as biography.
    The African Safari Papers by Robert Sedlack (mcenroeucsb)
    A Good Man in Africa by William Boyd (mcenroeucsb)
    mcenroeucsb: Books with Amusing Rogue protagonists
    Moscow to the End of the Line by Venedikt Erofeev (ljessen)
    On the Road by Jack Kerouac (MyriadBooks)
    Ruminations from the Garden by Don Henry Ford Jr. (infiniteletters)

English (112)  Swedish (3)  Spanish (1)  All languages (116)
Wow. The book is insane. It makes it more insane to know (I think?) that Thompson...well, actually LIVED through this. He made himself so many cocktails of dangerous drugs--I'd have to agree with him that Vegas might be the only place in the US he could get away with it.

Entertaining read. For me, also firm confirmation of "Say NO to Drugs!".... ( )
  csweder | Jul 8, 2014 |

Entertaining read. For me, also firm confirmation of "Say NO to Drugs!".... ( )
  csweder | Jul 8, 2014 |
An absolutely crazy, terrifying, hilarious saga that will go down as an all time great by an all time great author. Thompson's style is completely unique and the first time I read Fear and Loathing I was dumbfounded because I never knew books could be written like that. For anyone that has yet to read this book or any of Thompson's work, I highly urge you to do so. Just make sure you keep an open mind and allow yourself to become immersed in the tale; For if you do, you will be on one crazy rollercoaster ride of fun and laughter that will change your views on writing forever. ( )
  Zissou54 | Apr 23, 2014 |
Many love this book but I'm not one of them. It's not that it's particularly bad but that I just didn't find a reason to justify reading it. The whole drug scene is just so boring and I couldn't relate. ( )
  mlbelize | Jan 27, 2014 |
One of my favorite books ever. Just so, so entertaining from start to finish. ( )
  Sarah_Buckley | Jan 3, 2014 |
"Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas" is a number of things, most of them elusive on first reading and illusory thereafter. A solid second act by the author of "Hell's Angels," it is an apposite gloss on the more history-laden rock lyrics ("to live outside the law you must be honest")

"He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man." -- Dr. Johnson
To Bob Geiger, for reasons that need not be explained here -- and to Bob Dylan, for Mister Tambourine Man
We were somewhere around Barstow on the edge of the desert when the drugs began to take hold. I remember saying something like 'I feel a bit lightheaded; maybe you should drive . . .' And suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us and the sky was full of what looked like huge bats, all swooping and screeching and diving around the car, which was going about a hundred miles an hour with the top down to Las Vegas. And a voice was screaming, 'Holy Jesus! What are these goddamn animals?'
What were we doing out here? What was the meaning of this trip? Did I actually have a big red convertible out there on the street? was I just roaming around these Mint Hotel escalators in a drug frenzy of some kind, or had I really come out here to Las Vegas to work on a story?
All those pathetically eager acid freaks who thought they could buy Peace and Understanding for three bucks a hit. But their loss and failure is ours, too. What Leary took down with him was the central illusion of a whole life-style that he helped to create...a generation of permanent cripples, failed seekers, who never understood the essential old mystic fallacy of the Acid Culture: the desperate assumption that somebody-or at least some force-is tending the Light at the end of the tunnel.
Buy the ticket take the Ride
Every now and then when your life gets complicated and the weasels start closing in, the only cure is to load up on heinous chemicals and then drive like a bastard from Hollywood to Las Vegas ... with the music at top volume and at least a pint of ether.
You can always turn your back on a person, but you can never turn your back on a drug... especially when it's waving a hunting knife in your eyes.
I think it should be clasified in american literature maybe 813.73, near salinger or kesey¬†
The basic synopsis revolves around journalist Raoul Duke and his attorney, Dr. Gonzo, as they arrive in 70's Las Vegas to report on the Mint 400 motorcycle race. However, they soon abandon their work and begin experimenting with a variety of recreational drugs, such as LSD, cocaine, mescaline, and cannabis. This leads to a series of bizarre hallucinogenic trips, during which they destroy hotel rooms, wreck cars, and have visions of anthropomorphic desert animals, all the while ruminating on the decline of American culture.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0679785892, Paperback)

Heralded as the "best book on the dope decade" by the New York Times Book Review, Hunter S. Thompson's documented drug orgy through Las Vegas would no doubt leave Nancy Reagan blushing and D.A.R.E. founders rethinking their motto. Under the pseudonym of Raoul Duke, Thompson travels with his Samoan attorney, Dr. Gonzo, in a souped-up convertible dubbed the "Great Red Shark." In its trunk, they stow "two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half-full of cocaine and a whole galaxy of multicolored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers.... A quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of Budweiser, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls," which they manage to consume during their short tour.

On assignment from a sports magazine to cover "the fabulous Mint 400"--a free-for-all biker's race in the heart of the Nevada desert--the drug-a-delic duo stumbles through Vegas in hallucinatory hopes of finding the American dream (two truck-stop waitresses tell them it's nearby, but can't remember if it's on the right or the left). They of course never get the story, but they do commit the only sins in Vegas: "burning the locals, abusing the tourists, terrifying the help." For Thompson to remember and pen his experiences with such clarity and wit is nothing short of a miracle; an impressive feat no matter how one feels about the subject matter. A first-rate sensibility twinger, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas is a pop-culture classic, an icon of an era past, and a nugget of pure comedic genius. --Rebekah Warren

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:01:30 -0400)

Records the experiences of a free-lance writer who embarked on a zany journey into the drug culture.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,629,274 books! | Top bar: Always visible