Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas by Hunter S.…

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas (original 1971; edition 1971)

by Hunter S. Thompson, Ralph Steadman (Illustrator)

10,820143259 (4.08)277
Title:Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
Authors:Hunter S. Thompson
Other authors:Ralph Steadman (Illustrator)
Info:Popular Library (1971), Edition: First Edition, Mass Market Paperback, 208 pages
Tags:drugs, road trip, made into movie, friendship

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas by Hunter S. Thompson (1971)

Fear And Loathing in America: The Brutal Odyssey of an Outlaw Journalist by Hunter S. Thompson (Scrub)
    A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole (mcenroeucsb)
    mcenroeucsb: Books with Delusional/Enlightened Outcast protagonists
    The Curse of Lono by Hunter S. Thompson (gonzobrarian)
    gonzobrarian: The Curse of Lono may very well be the belated sequel to Fear and Loathing in LV; an older, more refined Thompson has savage epiphany in Hawai'i.
    The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test by Tom Wolfe (mcenroeucsb)
    Budding Prospects by T. C. Boyle (mcenroeucsb)
    Inferno by August Strindberg (andejons)
    andejons: Both are filled with madness, paranoia, and fiction that does a fine job of masquerading as biography.
    The African Safari Papers by Robert Sedlack (mcenroeucsb)
    A Good Man in Africa by William Boyd (mcenroeucsb)
    mcenroeucsb: Books with Amusing Rogue protagonists
    Moscow Circles by Venedikt Erofeev (ljessen)
    On the Road by Jack Kerouac (MyriadBooks)
    Ruminations from the Garden by Don Henry Ford Jr. (infiniteletters)

English (138)  Swedish (3)  Spanish (1)  All languages (142)
Oh god, it's such a rite of passion for any literary-minded collegiate student. I remember believing this was "journalism". It's an American classic. ( )
  bookofmoons | Sep 1, 2016 |
Oh boy. This book.

I loved it, when I read it. It was one of my first audiobooks, and I used to listen to it on my Ipod when I was about 14 or 15. It's probably Thompson's most well-known book and, I would argue, one of his best.

Now, make no mistake. Hunter S. Thompson was a problematic person. He used many and various substances (many of which are depicted in this book), he is also misogynistic and some might say, misanthropic. I really didn't pay attention to that when I read it at the time, I was purely reading it for the experience of reading it and hadn't quite learned to read critically, so if I read it again, I might have a slightly different opinion on it.

To say this book is fast-paced is an understatement. This is a fantastic piece of social commentary on American society and all its peculiarities. It is dark, bitter, hilarious and Thompson is almost melancholic in his love for American culture. He deftly tears into social norms and after a little while, you just accustomed to the absurdity of it all.

The writing itself, though, is spectacular. There are some passages of this book that made me stop dead when I heard them or read them aloud, that I still think about, that still stick with me today. I don't want quote those passages because I think it's important for you to experience them in their context, as Hunter intended them to be.

When you read this book, keep an open mind, and just let it take you where it will.

This novel is an absolute trip.
  lydia1879 | Aug 31, 2016 |
4 or 5 stars very good book. The film was great too. ( )
  Gary_Power | Jul 10, 2016 |
The blurb calls it "A Savage Journey to the Heart of the American Dream"

I didn't know the "American Dream" was to get wasted and stay that way.

Their search for the American Dream is based off a new assignment Duke is given, but he and his attorney are too wasted to understand what exactly they are suppose to be looking for. ( )
  nx74defiant | Jun 22, 2016 |
An extremely fast paced, fun, drug-filled story of lunacy and insanity, set in on the road to and in Las Vegas. Thompson and his "attorney" take every type of drug that they can find and meet Vegas' madness head on, with hallucinations, bouts of pure savagery, and episodes of absurd paranoia. A true page-turner that never loses its pace, the book is a reflection on the 60's and its disappointments, and is set firmly in a time when a whole generation lost its illusions and had to face a hard reality and a not so promising future.
  bartt95 | Jun 22, 2016 |
"Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas" is a number of things, most of them elusive on first reading and illusory thereafter. A solid second act by the author of "Hell's Angels," it is an apposite gloss on the more history-laden rock lyrics ("to live outside the law you must be honest")
"He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man." -- Dr. Johnson
To Bob Geiger, for reasons that need not be explained here -- and to Bob Dylan, for Mister Tambourine Man
We were somewhere around Barstow on the edge of the desert when the drugs began to take hold. I remember saying something like 'I feel a bit lightheaded; maybe you should drive . . .' And suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us and the sky was full of what looked like huge bats, all swooping and screeching and diving around the car, which was going about a hundred miles an hour with the top down to Las Vegas. And a voice was screaming, 'Holy Jesus! What are these goddamn animals?'
What were we doing out here? What was the meaning of this trip? Did I actually have a big red convertible out there on the street? was I just roaming around these Mint Hotel escalators in a drug frenzy of some kind, or had I really come out here to Las Vegas to work on a story?
All those pathetically eager acid freaks who thought they could buy Peace and Understanding for three bucks a hit. But their loss and failure is ours, too. What Leary took down with him was the central illusion of a whole life-style that he helped to create...a generation of permanent cripples, failed seekers, who never understood the essential old mystic fallacy of the Acid Culture: the desperate assumption that somebody-or at least some force-is tending the Light at the end of the tunnel.
Buy the ticket take the Ride
Every now and then when your life gets complicated and the weasels start closing in, the only cure is to load up on heinous chemicals and then drive like a bastard from Hollywood to Las Vegas ... with the music at top volume and at least a pint of ether.
You can always turn your back on a person, but you can never turn your back on a drug... especially when it's waving a hunting knife in your eyes.

The basic synopsis revolves around journalist Raoul Duke and his attorney, Dr. Gonzo, as they arrive in 70's Las Vegas to report on the Mint 400 motorcycle race. However, they soon abandon their work and begin experimenting with a variety of recreational drugs, such as LSD, cocaine, mescaline, and cannabis. This leads to a series of bizarre hallucinogenic trips, during which they destroy hotel rooms, wreck cars, and have visions of anthropomorphic desert animals, all the while ruminating on the decline of American culture.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0679785892, Paperback)

Heralded as the "best book on the dope decade" by the New York Times Book Review, Hunter S. Thompson's documented drug orgy through Las Vegas would no doubt leave Nancy Reagan blushing and D.A.R.E. founders rethinking their motto. Under the pseudonym of Raoul Duke, Thompson travels with his Samoan attorney, Dr. Gonzo, in a souped-up convertible dubbed the "Great Red Shark." In its trunk, they stow "two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half-full of cocaine and a whole galaxy of multicolored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers.... A quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of Budweiser, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls," which they manage to consume during their short tour.

On assignment from a sports magazine to cover "the fabulous Mint 400"--a free-for-all biker's race in the heart of the Nevada desert--the drug-a-delic duo stumbles through Vegas in hallucinatory hopes of finding the American dream (two truck-stop waitresses tell them it's nearby, but can't remember if it's on the right or the left). They of course never get the story, but they do commit the only sins in Vegas: "burning the locals, abusing the tourists, terrifying the help." For Thompson to remember and pen his experiences with such clarity and wit is nothing short of a miracle; an impressive feat no matter how one feels about the subject matter. A first-rate sensibility twinger, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas is a pop-culture classic, an icon of an era past, and a nugget of pure comedic genius. --Rebekah Warren

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:38 -0400)

Records the experiences of a free-lance writer who embarked on a zany journey into the drug culture.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,816,898 books! | Top bar: Always visible