Young Pele: Soccer's First Star by Lesa…

Young Pele: Soccer's First Star

by Lesa Cline-Ransome

Summary:
As the title implies this book tells about the Brazilian soccer super star Pele. It however is not a typical biography. It only tells about the early years of his life and about his love for soccer. The book delves into the story of how he got his nickname Pele, how he began playing soccer in his first team and the struggles he phased because he was very poor, did not do well in school and his mother disapproved of his love for soccer because she wanted him to grow up to be a doctor or something of the like. At the end of the book Pele has discovered his dream and his mother accepts that he wants to play soccer.

Review:

As a children's book I would give this book 5 stars. The book is well written. The author makes Pele very relatable to children by telling the reader about how hard school was for Pele because he was not the typical student. The story focuses on themes like loyalty and friendship in terms that the children can understand. Finally overall it is a very entertaining book. It even gives cultural perspective because it tells about life in Brazil and in lower socioeconomic groups.

As a biography I find the book lacking. The book gave very little information about Pele. It mostly focused on his love of soccer, but anyone who knows Pele would already know about his passion for the game he is the king of. I also disliked that it ended after without giving the reader the end of the story. If I had been reading this book without knowing anything about Pele before hand I would be confused as to why this soccer player was so important. The book does not mention any of his accomplishments as an adult to justify why it is important we know about his early experiences. ( )
  ycinto1 | Oct 13, 2014 |
I liked this book for many reasons. One reason would be because the pictures were gorgeous. I love the way they were done. I like the water color look to them. Another reason I like this book was for the writing. I really enjoyed how the writer describe how he was thinking about and playing soccer. The big message of this story would be to never give up and always pursue your dreams. ( )
  rjayne2 | Oct 1, 2014 |
I enjoyed this book. I had never heard about this awesome young star, so I loved learning about a successful child prodigy! I really enjoyed the language the author used in the book. One of my favorite parts was when the author explain Edson day dreaming in class about scoring a goal. She put this paragraph in italics so the audience knew it was a thought. I can imagine reading that paragraph with enthusiasm to a group of young students! I also enjoyed the illustrations. They look like they were composed with paint. The very first page is a beautifully designed forrest with rich colors that automatically draw the audience in. The overall message of this story is to never give up on your dreams. ( )
  eschoe1 | Sep 30, 2014 |
In my opinion this is a great book. I liked the plot of the book. The story starts with Edson(Pele) forming a soccer team and easing money to buy shoes to play and ending with the team winning against a professional team. The organization of this story is great because it doesn't start talking about how famous Pele is and how many goals he scored. It starts describing his house, neighborhood and how humble he was as a child. I also really like the last page of the book where is talks about how Pele became the most famous soccer player in the world scoring over 1300 goals and a lot more impressing facts about him. The illustrations in this book are also very informative. They show when Pele was plying soccer without shoes as well as how he was scoring the goals. Even of you don't read the story you can still look at the pictures and understand the book. The main idea of this book is to let the readers know about Pele's childhood and how he was as humble as all of us before becoming what he is today. ( )
  dtato1 | Mar 8, 2014 |
Young Pele' is a brilliant story about a young boys determination and dedication in becoming a soccer player. When no one understood his dreams he continued to strive in order to be the person he was destined to be: The first African American Soccer player
  bmmander | Nov 26, 2013 |

HOW DID A POOR BOY named Edson—who kicked rocks down roads and dribbled balls made from rags—go on to become Pelé, the greatest soccer player of all time? While other kids memorized letters, Edson memorized the scores of soccer matches. And when Edson finally played in a youth soccer tournament in the town of Bauru, Brazil, he focused on only one thing from the moment the whistle blew: the goal.

Here is the picture book biography of the boy who overcame tremendous odds to become the world champion soccer star Pelé.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:20:38 -0400)

How did a poor Brazilian boy - who kicked rocks down roads and dribbled balls made from rags - go on to become the greatest soccer player of all time? Here is the inspiring story of the boy who, with great determination, lightning speed, and amazing skill, overcame tremendous odds to become the world champion soccer player, Pele - book.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,411,464 books! | Top bar: Always visible