Fear and Loathing: On the Campaign Trail '72…

Fear and Loathing: On the Campaign Trail '72 (original 1973; edition 2006)

by Hunter S. Thompson

Member:hemlokgang
Title:Fear and Loathing: On the Campaign Trail '72
Authors:Hunter S. Thompson
Info:Grand Central Publishing (2006), Paperback, 496 pages
Collections:Your library, To read (inactive)
Tags:USA, TBR

Fear and Loathing: On the Campaign Trail '72 by Hunter S. Thompson (1973)

It might not be great literature, but it certainly sums up much of the boomer take on the election that gave the world "the Revenge of Richard Nixon," There's a certain amount of grandstanding in this trip to the hyper-atmosphere of the American system, but it's a book I recommend to British and Canadian friends when they ask "why are the Americans like that?" Since 1978, the
USA has certainly seemed to outsiders that the USA has been trapped in a narcissistic down-ward spiral involving increasing violence on the international front. Very dangerous for the only functioning biosphere we know of. And this is how Americans choose their leaders, with a lot of mumbo-jumbo, and media madness.
  DinadansFriend | Jul 6, 2014 |
Having not read Thompson previously, I wasn't quite sure what to expect, but this was an incredible read. Being just old enough to barely remember all of these events, it was a bit of a refresher, but nothing like this ever made the evening news. There are, to me, striking similarities to the 2008 election. I just hope that there is not the backlash in 2012 that we saw in 1980...if so, the Mayans might have been right. ( )
  ScoutJ | Mar 31, 2013 |
A bit disjointed but excellent period piece for 1972 campaign ( )
  JBGUSA | Mar 31, 2013 |
HST is a hell of a writer, not just for his drugs. Few others make journalism so venomous, and political squabbles so interesting.

It's rather fitting that this is the 40th anniversary edition, re-released in one of the most spectacular train wrecks in years. One wonders, if HST lived, what he would have had to say about this pack of loonies.

HST, as cynical as he wants to be, still has a bit of idealism buried in him somewhere, that a Democrat lesser evil will prevail over the tyranny of Nixon. But his coverage of the convention and the November trouncing is an exercise in despair.

Not dated at all, except for a fee slurs. His style is his own. Makes you feel rage instead of cynicism. ( )
1 vote HadriantheBlind | Mar 30, 2013 |
This is an excellent book, right in there with the best of Hunter S. Thompson’s work. However, strictly because of timing, I found it incredibly depressing. Do yourself a favor; do not read this book during an active presidential campaign. What goes around…the more things change…those who do not learn from history…etc. Ah well, let me pick myself up from my depression and go on to review the book.

This is the story of the 1972 presidential election directly from the front lines of the campaign trail – primarily from a front seat of the disaster that was the McGovern campaign. It provides excellent detail on how things came together, how they fell apart, and how the entire year was a sideshow of inexplicable events. It tells the story of how we pick our presidents, and how others pick them for us. (There I go down that spiral again – come on, pick yourself up.)

And, of course, it has the twisted take on reality that is the hallmark of gonzo journalism. Of course, to call it reality may be giving Thompson more credit for grasping reality than may be deserved. Okay, let’s lay it out there- Thompson is an unreliable narrator. Meaning, healthy grains of salt must be taken. Yet, in spite of this, it is also obvious there is more truth here than we wish to know.

Shy of the last two sections which are primarily Thompson’s meandering thoughts on what went right and wrong (the real low part of the book), this is a fascinating telling of the tale. If you don’t know that much about the 1972 campaign you probably want to start somewhere else. But come back to this one once you have the historical perspective. ( )
1 vote figre | Oct 20, 2012 |

Hunter S. Thompsonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Steadman, RalphIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Between the Idea and the Reality ... Falls the Shadow.
--T. S. Eliot
To Sandy, who endured almost a year of grim exile in Washington, D. C. while this book was being written.
--HST
Outside my front door the street is full of leaves.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0446698229, Paperback)

With the same drug-addled alacrity and jaundiced wit that made Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas a hilarious hit, Hunter S. Thompson turns his savage eye and gonzo heart to the repellent and seductive race for President. He deconstructs the 1972 campaigns of idealist George McGovern and political hack Richard Nixon, ending up with a political vision that is eerily prophetic. A classic!

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:19:44 -0400)

After popularizing Gonzo journalism with Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, Hunter S. Thompson turned his drug-fueled wit and savage insight to the race for President. With On the Campaign Trail '72, Thompson deconstructs the 1972 campaigns of George McGovern and Richard Nixon, laying bare a political process that is both seductive and utterly repellent.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,120,086 books! | Top bar: Always visible