Lost Horizon by James Hilton

Lost Horizon (1933)

by James Hilton

English (69)  French (2)  Spanish (1)  German (1)  All languages (73)
Absolutely loved this book! My only regret is that I didn't get to read it sooner! (I do thank a friend for bringing it to my attention!). This is one of those books that you want to have on your bookshelves forever... The poetic, measured style of writing (somehow vaguely reminiscent to me of one of my favorite writers - W.S.Maugham) was of great appeal in itself, but combined with a marvelous plot, it was a true delight. The idea of moderation if life, though not unique or new but exquisitely presented in a shroud of utopia, is seen as so practical and possible and needed.

Author Warren Eyster said this in Afterword: "The remarkable achievement of "Lost Horizon"is that Hilton created a utopia so vague, yet so appealing, that it allows each of us to fill in the blanks to our own satisfaction". I fully agree.

To me, one of the signs of a good book is that you don't want it to end - and that's how it was with this one. ( )
2 vote Clara53 | Sep 5, 2018 |
What I remember chiefly is my deep attraction to Conway and using the phrase "something a bit Philip Sidney-ish" to describe what I looked for in a partner. Also kept trying to write fiction that talked about the main character without introducing said main character, as the prologue does in this book. ( )
  likecymbeline | Apr 1, 2017 |
Great story about Shangri-La and a handful of people abducted and taken there. So good I read it twice in succession. For some reason, I really identified with Conway, the main character. ( )
  tgraettinger | Oct 27, 2016 |
This was a reread for book club, but I enjoyed it as much as I did 26 years ago! ( )
  TerriS | Oct 7, 2016 |
-- James Hilton's LOST HORIZON is a novel. Four passengers on a plane are unknowingly flown to a remote Tibetan lamasery where the air & an elixir extend lives of inhabitants. Because they practice moderation LOST HORIZON isn't a typical adventure story. Although isolated the community has access to books & music. First printed in 1933 LOST HORIZON is a classic. -- ( )
  MinaIsham | May 30, 2016 |

Hilton, JamesAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
de Morgan, MichaelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Prologue:

Cigars had burned low, and we were beginning to sample the disillusionment that usually afflicts old school friends who have met again as men and found themselves with less in common than they had believed they had.
Chap 1:

During that third week of May the situation in Baskul had become much worse and, on the 20th, Air Force machines arrived by arrangement from Peshawar to evacuate the white residents.

Jacques Marchais original library book

While attempting to escape a civil war, four people are kidnapped and transported to the Tibetan mountains. After their plane crashes, they are found by a mysterious Chinese man. He leads them to a monastery hidden in "the valley of the blue moon" -- a land of mystery and matchless beauty where life is lived in tranquil wonder, beyond the grasp of a doomed world.

It is here, in Shangri-La, where destinies will be discovered and the meaning of paradise will be unveiled.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:33 -0400)

Following a plane crash in the Himalayan mountains, a lost group of Englishmen and Americans stumble upon the dream-like, utopian world of Shangri-La, where life is eternal and civilization refined.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,801,281 books! | Top bar: Always visible