Lost Horizon by James Hilton

Lost Horizon (original 1933; edition 1988)

by James Hilton

Member:belgrade18
Title:Lost Horizon
Authors:James Hilton
Info:Pocket (1988), Mass Market Paperback, 240 pages
Rating:***
Tags:China, Tibet, fiction, 20th century

Lost Horizon by James Hilton (1933)

English (54)  French (2)  Spanish (1)  German (1)  All languages (58)
A classic tale of a hidden society that has done things differently than the rest of the world and in so doing avoiding many or most of the terrible short comings for reality. Sadly places like this cannot be found. But that is one of the great things about fiction. If you can imagine it it can be created in the minds and hearts of people in the tale. ( )
  Chris_El | Mar 19, 2015 |
This book was originally published in 1933 and was the first mass produced paperback novel. Shangri-La has become a name synonymous with utopia or paradise because of it.

Four people escape violence in Afghanistan aboard a plane which is hijacked. It takes them to a remote location in an unexplored region of the Himalayas where they are met by a mysterious monk riding in a chair and speaking English. One of the passengers is an American, one is a British missionary woman, one is an assistant to the fourth who worked for the British Consulate. The story of these people is given to us by way of a neurologist who heard their story from an ill man in China and is giving his manuscript to a writer to publish it.

Conway, the Consul, had long conversations with the English-speaking monk and learned that people who embraced life in this remote valley lived to be a remarkable old age. Mallinson, the Vice-Consul, had no patience, and wanted to return to 'civilization' as soon as possible. Miss Brinklow set herself to learning Tibet so she could begin her work with the natives. The American, Mr. Barnard, turned out to be a con man who finds himself in a place rich with untapped sources of gold.

This was a short book, just the right length to tell the story. ( )
  mamzel | Jan 18, 2015 |
A case of the movie and the book being highly complementary. I liked each of them in their own way. This book should be required reading to counter the artificial urgency that is the current mindset. Life is precious. Time is fleeting. Whether we have our own Shangri-La is totally up to each of us. ( )
  AliceAnna | Oct 22, 2014 |
As always, my reviews are as vague and spoiler-free as possible!

I read this book so so long ago in high school. I had vague memories about war, a plane and Shangri-La. Wanting to read it again, I bought it seven years ago and it has sat on my bookshelf since.

[Lost Horizon] was the first paperback book ever published. Hilton tells his tale in a straightforward manner with beautiful language and imagery. However, I feel he only really fleshes out the main character, Conway. At the end, I feel Hilton has written the longest short-story ever.

Two English military men, an American man, and a female missionary are waiting on a plane in the middle of war. In all the confusion, their plane is hijacked by a man who does not speak their language. After a turbulent flight, they land in Tibet. Their hijacker pilot dies. Despite the fact they land in desolation, a party of hikers come to their rescue and take them back to a monastery. It turns out to be nirvana for three of the four. What makes them so at ease?

If someone ever finds such a place, let me know, please! ( )
  punkypower | Dec 30, 2013 |
On Jan 12, 1944, in my diary I mentioned that I was reading this book and described it as wonderful ( )
  Schmerguls | May 11, 2013 |
Prologue:

Cigars had burned low, and we were beginning to sample the disillusionment that usually afflicts old school friends who have met again as men and found themselves with less in common than they had believed they had.
Chap 1:

During that third week of May the situation in Baskul had become much worse and, on the 20th, Air Force machines arrived by arrangement from Peshawar to evacuate the white residents.

WELCOME TO SHANGRI-LA

High in the distant reaches of the Tibetan mountains where a group of wordly men and women have stumbled upon a land of mystery and matchless beauty, where life is lived in tranquil wonder, beyond the grasp of a doomed world.

And a great secret is kept hidden.

While attempting to escape a civil war, four people are kidnapped and transported to the Tibetan mountains. After their plane crashes, they are found by a mysterious Chinese man. He leads them to a monastery hidden in "the valley of the blue moon" -- a land of mystery and matchless beauty where life is lived in tranquil wonder, beyond the grasp of a doomed world.

It is here, in Shangri-La, where destinies will be discovered and the meaning of paradise will be unveiled.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:33 -0400)

Two Englishmen, a woman missionary, and an American fleeing the consequences of shady financial deals are traveling companions. They stumble upon a land of mystery and matchless beauty, where life is lived in tranquil wonder, beyond the grasp of a doomed world. And a great secret is kept hidden.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,916,955 books! | Top bar: Always visible