Lost Horizon by James Hilton

Lost Horizon (original 1933; edition 1988)

by James Hilton

Member:belgrade18
Title:Lost Horizon
Authors:James Hilton
Info:Pocket (1988), Mass Market Paperback, 240 pages
Rating:***
Tags:China, Tibet, fiction, 20th century

Lost Horizon by James Hilton (1933)

English (51)  French (2)  Spanish (1)  All languages (54)
As always, my reviews are as vague and spoiler-free as possible!

I read this book so so long ago in high school. I had vague memories about war, a plane and Shangri-La. Wanting to read it again, I bought it seven years ago and it has sat on my bookshelf since.

[Lost Horizon] was the first paperback book ever published. Hilton tells his tale in a straightforward manner with beautiful language and imagery. However, I feel he only really fleshes out the main character, Conway. At the end, I feel Hilton has written the longest short-story ever.

Two English military men, an American man, and a female missionary are waiting on a plane in the middle of war. In all the confusion, their plane is hijacked by a man who does not speak their language. After a turbulent flight, they land in Tibet. Their hijacker pilot dies. Despite the fact they land in desolation, a party of hikers come to their rescue and take them back to a monastery. It turns out to be nirvana for three of the four. What makes them so at ease?

If someone ever finds such a place, let me know, please! ( )
  punkypower | Dec 30, 2013 |
On Jan 12, 1944, in my diary I mentioned that I was reading this book and described it as wonderful ( )
  Schmerguls | May 11, 2013 |
What a wonderful book! In a way it reminded me of the Maltese Falcon but I'm not sure why...maybe because it touches that place in your mind that's always searching. ( )
  cynrwiecko | May 3, 2013 |
Read this one trying to keep up with my Mom who was catching up on classics.
ahhh.... this explains the story of "Shangri-La"
Probably one I should have read earlier and certainly should read again.
Read in 2004. ( )
  CasaBooks | Apr 28, 2013 |
Prologue:

Cigars had burned low, and we were beginning to sample the disillusionment that usually afflicts old school friends who have met again as men and found themselves with less in common than they had believed they had.
Chap 1:

During that third week of May the situation in Baskul had become much worse and, on the 20th, Air Force machines arrived by arrangement from Peshawar to evacuate the white residents.

WELCOME TO SHANGRI-LA

High in the distant reaches of the Tibetan mountains where a group of wordly men and women have stumbled upon a land of mystery and matchless beauty, where life is lived in tranquil wonder, beyond the grasp of a doomed world.

And a great secret is kept hidden.

While attempting to escape a civil war, four people are kidnapped and transported to the Tibetan mountains. After their plane crashes, they are found by a mysterious Chinese man. He leads them to a monastery hidden in "the valley of the blue moon" -- a land of mystery and matchless beauty where life is lived in tranquil wonder, beyond the grasp of a doomed world.

It is here, in Shangri-La, where destinies will be discovered and the meaning of paradise will be unveiled.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:03:34 -0400)

Two Englishmen, a woman missionary, and an American fleeing the consequences of shady financial deals are traveling companions. They stumble upon a land of mystery and matchless beauty, where life is lived in tranquil wonder, beyond the grasp of a doomed world. And a great secret is kept hidden.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,608,830 books! | Top bar: Always visible