Flow My Tears, the Policeman Said by Philip…

Flow My Tears, the Policeman Said (original 1974; edition 2012)

by Philip K. Dick

Member:princess_mischa
Title:Flow My Tears, the Policeman Said
Authors:Philip K. Dick
Info:Mariner Books (2012), Edition: Reissue, Paperback, 256 pages
Rating:***
Tags:American, Bought, Fiction, Science Fiction

Flow My Tears, the Policeman Said by Philip K. Dick (1974)

Recently added byprivate library, etayvider, magzpavz, ssimon2000, -sunny-, Jeffrey.Hines, hugo84

English (32)  Spanish (1)  German (1)  All languages (34)
Once more Philip Dick delivers an intriguing and often confusing novel concerning the nature of identity.

Set in a dystopian police-state America, a genetically-enhanced actor wakes up one day and finds out he never existed. What happens next is an exploration of this nightmarish scenario though the twist ending is somewhat controversial. ( )
  xuebi | May 30, 2014 |
When a writer cross-references himself as much as [a:Philip K. Dick|4764|Philip K. Dick|http://photo.goodreads.com/authors/1264613853p2/4764.jpg] does, the absence of certain details becomes as powerful as the details that actually appear on the page. The reader struggles with what he or she knows to have been true many times before. But after repeated attempts to adjudicate the divide between the known past and the unfolding present, the reader is faced with a stark choice: fail and walk away from the novel as a lessened member of literary society or engage the author for the first time again.

Laying aside convenient devices like the Time Scoop and androids, [b:Flow My Tears, the Policeman Said|22584|Flow My Tears, the Policeman Said|Philip K. Dick|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1167351984s/22584.jpg|949696] brings readers to post Second Civil War America filled run by a fascist police force and fear. Entertainer Jason Taverner wakes up one morning to find more than just his identity cards gone. More than a theft, he struggles to survive in a world where he apparently never existed. Dick's twist on time and the complexity of Police General Buckman more than make up for the tacked on happy ending. ( )
  IsotropicJoseph | Apr 28, 2014 |
Jason Taverner is a popular television personality and singer who loses his identity and suddenly experiences the underbelly of the oppressive society he lives in.

The ending has a real science fiction twist and takes you by surprise. ( )
  SebastianHagelstein | Jan 4, 2014 |
Recensione su: http://wp.me/p3X6aw-as
Review at: http://wp.me/p3X6aw-as ( )
  Saretta.L | Dec 8, 2013 |
'Flow my tears, the policeman said' is only the third Philip K. Dick novel I've read, and I picked this one to read next because of the many award nominations (Nebula, Hugo, Locus), wins (Campbell) and mentions on best of lists.
There are two story lines in this novel. The main one is about Jason Taverner, a famous TV host and singer, a six (genetically engineered human) who one day (after an attack and a hospital stay) wakes up in a cheap hotel without any ID. In the dystopian future (1988, but the novel is from 1974) this is as good as a death sentence. He goes out to try to get himself some fake ID and figure out what is going on. Soon he finds out that not only is his ID missing, he isn't present in any databank, and no one of his old friends and colleagues seem to even know about him. This causes him to eventually run into Police General Felix Buckman, main character in the second storyline about him, his life, his sister and how he does his best to survive in the police state that is the US after the Second Civil War.
I really liked this novel. I really was curious about what the solution to Jason's predicament was, especially when he found out more and more weird things going on. And I loved the philosophical discussions about love and grief. The only thing that let me down was the quick ending. After a long, slow build up, where Dick takes the time for Felix and Jason to meet people and discuss life and what is going on, the story is quickly wrapped up in the last thirty or so pages, with a solution that is hardly explained or investigated. The epilogue, which is basically a summary of what happened to the characters after the story, felt unnecessary too. It reminded me of the epilogue you sometimes get in movies (in text, detailing the rest of the lives of the characters). Maybe this was something that was done more often back in the seventies, but I felt the novel did not need it. Still, this is a very good science fiction novel, four out of five stars. ( )
  divinenanny | Nov 13, 2013 |

Philip K. Dickprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Berni, OlivieroCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Moore, ChrisCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Nagula, MichaelTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Osterwalder, UteCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ulrich, HansCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Flow my tears, fall from your springs!

Exiled forever, let me mourn;

Where night's black bird her sad infamy sings,

There let me live forlorn.

(Part One)
Down, vain lights, shine you no more!

No nights are black enough for those

That in despair their lost fortunes deplore.

Light doth but shame disclose.

(Part Two)
Never may my woes be relieved,

Since pity is fled;

And tears and sights and groans my weary days

Of all joys have deprived.

(Part Three)
The love in this novel is for Tessa,

and the love in me is for her, too.

She is my little song.
On Tuesday, October 11, 1988, the Jason Taverner Show ran thirty seconds short.
"Listen," he said, haltingly. "I'm going to tell you something and I want you to listen carefully. You belong in a prison for the criminally insane."

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 067974066X, Paperback)

>On October 11 the television star Jason Taverner is so famous that 30 million viewers eagerly watch his prime-time show. On October 12 Jason Taverner is not a has-been but a never-was -- a man who has lost not only his audience but all proof of his existence. And in the claustrophobic betrayal state of Flow My Tears, the Policeman Said, loss of proof is synonyms with loss of life.

Taverner races to solve the riddle of his disappearance", immerses us in a horribly plausible Philip K. Dick United States in which everyone -- from a waiflike forger of identity cards to a surgically altered pleasure -- informs on everyone else, a world in which omniscient police have something to hide. His bleakly beautiful novel bores into the deepest bedrock self and plants a stick of dynamite at its center.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:58:06 -0400)

Jason Taverner is a Six, the result of top secret government experiments forty years before which produced a handful of unnaturally bright and beautiful people - and he's the prime-time idol of millions until, inexplicably, all record of him is wiped from the data banks of Earth. Suddenly he's a nobody in a police state where nobody is allowed to be a nobody. Will he ever be rich and famous again? Was he, in fact, ever rich and famous?… (more)

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,528,226 books! | Top bar: Always visible