Birds: A Guide to the Most Familiar American…

Birds: A Guide to the Most Familiar American Birds (1949)

by Herbert S. Zim

709None13,255 (3.45)7

My daughter says when I get to Heaven it will be full of birds and wildflowers, and I will know all their names. That is why I collect books like this. Zim's book was my first and favorite nature guide. ( )
  MerryMary | Feb 28, 2007 |
This is a good intro guide to bird species around the US. I got this book in elementary school at a book fair, and I still use it! Very helpful, with great pictures. Well-organized, easy to use. It doesn't have as extensive a listing as some guides, but would be perfect for the casual backyard birdwatcher. ( )
  stefrand | Oct 2, 2006 |
Foreword (1987): This book pictures in full color 129 of the most familiar American birds.
Foreword: (2001) For more than a generation this book, along with other Golden Guides, has introduced thousands of children and adults to the diversity of the natural world.
Also published as Birds: a guide to familiar birds of North America.
This is NOT the same work as Birds of North America which is almost twice as long.

After describing the parts of a bird, the book has a table of contents which is also a quick reference list for bird classification. Maps give the location of the area in which the bird is found.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:45:44 -0400)

Pictures 129 common birds, identifying their flight ranges, size, and appearance. Includes a table listing migration dates and nesting and feeding habits.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,485,697 books! | Top bar: Always visible