Birds: A Guide to the Most Familiar American…

Birds: A Guide to the Most Familiar American Birds (1949)

by Herbert S. Zim

Series: Golden Guides (Nature), Golden Nature Guides

What to look for, where and when to look and how to attract birds
  jhawn | Jul 31, 2017 |
This was my parents' book, and my brother and I used it growing up. We identified birds in the North East and also used it to learn how to draw. The information given is simple but interesting - it covers the basics of the species and the illustrations may not be incredibly complex, but are beautiful and make it easy to identify varieties of birds. ( )
  SarinaLeigh | Apr 21, 2017 |
My daughter says when I get to Heaven it will be full of birds and wildflowers, and I will know all their names. That is why I collect books like this. Zim's book was my first and favorite nature guide. ( )
1 vote MerryMary | Feb 28, 2007 |

Herbert S. Zimprimary authorall editionscalculated
Gabrielson, Ira N.Authormain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Irving, James GordonIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Foreword (1987): This book pictures in full color 129 of the most familiar American birds.
Foreword: (2001) For more than a generation this book, along with other Golden Guides, has introduced thousands of children and adults to the diversity of the natural world.
Also published as Birds: a guide to familiar birds of North America.
This is NOT the same work as Birds of North America which is almost twice as long.

After describing the parts of a bird, the book has a table of contents which is also a quick reference list for bird classification. Maps give the location of the area in which the bird is found.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:21 -0400)

Pictures 129 common birds, identifying their flight ranges, size, and appearance. Includes a table listing migration dates and nesting and feeding habits.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,630,632 books! | Top bar: Always visible