dismiss

Mama, Do You Love Me? (1991)

by Barbara M. Joosse

Other authors: Barbara Lavelle (Illustrator)

A child living in the Arctic learns that a mother's love is unconditional.

English (109)  Spanish (1)  All languages (110)
I really enjoyed reading this book for 3 reasons. The first reason I liked this book was because of the language used. The story is set from the perspective of a Native American family, and the daughter is asking their mother some hypothetical scenarios to see if their mom would still love them. Due to the cultural, throughout the story there are unique examples according to Native American traditions and experiences. For instance, one example used was “what if I put salmon in your parka, ermine in your mittens, and lemmings in your mukluks?” This language is unique to the specific cultural community, which is interesting to the reader. I think that this enhances the message, which is the second reason why I like this book. I think that readers may be challenged to have some deeper thinking. No matter what hypothetical scenario the daughter comes up with, the mother maintains that though she may get angry, or upset, or anything else because of what she did, she will never stop loving her. This is a great message for children that their parents or grandparents will always love them no matter what. The final reason I liked this story was because of the characters. There is a mother and a daughter and they have a very close relationship. This is something that a lot of readers will be able to relate to. The message of the story is about the unconditional love and forgiveness of a family.
  mvanem1 | Apr 3, 2020 |
This story is a simple story which consists of a simple question-and-answer format. But I believe the overlaying message is important to have in a classroom for children who are between the ages of 4-6.
In this book, a little girl continuously asks her mother if she loves her. She begins to create different scenarios about herself and then at the end of every scenario would ask her mama if she "loves her". The mother's response never changes and she tells her daughter that no matter what happens that she will always love her.
I think it's important for children in kindergarten or 1st grade to read this book and understand that a parents love is unconditional and that no matter what happens in life their mother and father will always love them because they are important to their lives. ( )
  Awechs1 | Sep 25, 2019 |
Lovely Native American story of a child testing the limits of her independence and her mother's love ( )
  AccyP | Sep 17, 2019 |
Synopsis: A young girl asks her Mother "Do you love me" and gives increasingly wild situations in which she might test her mothers love

Review: The characters and story use the Inuit Culture as a basis, and the art is done in a stylize way. The story is sweet and cute, and answers a big question children often have. Perfect for young children (2-5), the pictures are colorful and well done and the story is both silly and sweet. ( )
  empress8411 | Jul 8, 2019 |
this book was about a mother and daughter relationship. the mother is reassuring the daughter that even after she does certain actions she will always love her.

age- 3-5
sources- pierce county school library
  Eli0079 | Nov 27, 2018 |

Barbara M. Joosseprimary authorall editionscalculated
Lavelle, BarbaraIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
For Father Jose Valdez, friend and guide on a remarkable journey. Thank you.
--Barbara M. Joosse

To the children of Alaska -
especially Chip and Mark.
--Barbara Lavallee
Mama, do you love me?

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 148,067,212 books! | Top bar: Always visible