Franny and Zooey by J. D. Salinger

Franny and Zooey (original 1961; edition 2001)

by J. D. Salinger

11,615136232 (3.97)2 / 229
Title:Franny and Zooey
Authors:J. D. Salinger
Info:Back Bay Books (2001), Paperback, 208 pages

Franny and Zooey by J. D. Salinger (1961)

English (132)  German (1)  Spanish (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  All languages (135)
I've never been much of a Salingerite (Salingerean?). Caulfield in Catcher drove me up a wall when I read it as a teen and this is the first time I've picked Salinger up since. No walls bore any unwanted attention with this book however, thankfully.

Zooey definitely had an abundance of Caulfield on the tip of his ego in my opinion but I found myself liking both the short story and the novella more than I thought I would. It did have a play-ish feel to it, as I've seen many mention in the reviews I've read. A lot of dialogue to get through in such a small quantity of prose. However, I don't think that the fact that the action is largely emotional or intellectual can really be construed as a complete lack of action on the part of each character. It felt, to me, that rather a lot was going on throughout. Honestly, I think that's what roped me into these stories on their own and combined more than anything else. I felt such movement in the characters and it seemed wonderfully capturing. Plus, it sparked a good deal of self awareness and thought which always makes for a "good book" in my opinion.

I don't know if I have a "favorite" part from the book but the predominant excerpt that keeps ringing for me is, "there isn't anyone anywhere that isn't Seymour's Fat Lady. Don't you know that? Don't you know that goddam secret yet? And don't you know- listen to me now- don't you know who that Fat lady really is?... Ah, buddy. Ah, buddy. It's Christ himself."

It's such a boiled down simplification of something so many seem to find so intellectually intangible. Going beyond the pretty charming visualizations of said Fat Lady that both children had at one point or another, the 'end all, be all' of the coined phrase, "...the Fat Lady sings" went round and round my head while I was reading this part. Everyone is the Fat Lady, the Fat Lady is Christ, Christ is everyone... well that's just goddam beautiful. ( )
  lamotamant | Sep 22, 2016 |
Better than I was expecting - a supremely intelligent and engaging read. ( )
  soylentgreen23 | Aug 14, 2016 |
If you loved (or hated) The Catcher in the Rye, you needn't bother with this. Perhaps we'll find Salinger's edited and finished version of the Glass' stories upon his demise, but I suspect that it will be not much better than Lee's nearly posthumously published garbage. This story and novella were explorations of character and relationship, meant to stay in a notebook, but fall flat as published works. ( )
1 vote cemagoc | Aug 8, 2016 |
"I'm just sick of ego, ego, ego.My own and everybody else's", 31 July 2016

This review is from: Franny and Zooey (Paperback)
After reading a succession of mediocre books, I treated myself to a re-read of this Salinger classic. Now this is writing, it's superb from the very first sentence!
The first short story follows student Frannny Glass on a date with an arrogant and self-absorbed young man. But as he tries to make out that he's not particularly smitten, pretending to have forgotten her letter which he has just read for the umpteenth time, Franny's protestations of affection actually belie a different truth:
' "Oh, it's lovely to see you!" Franny said as the cab moved off. "I've missed you." The words were no sooner out than she realized that she didn't mean them at all.'
And as an awkward date plays out, with Franny's efforts to discuss her new religious beliefs cut short with her young man's preoccupation not to miss the game, Salinger makes every nuance of their dialogue and actions come alive.

In the following novella, 'Zooey', we follow Franny to her family home in New York where she has retreated to have some kind of religious meltdown or nervous breakdown to the despair of her mother, and the criticism of her outspoken brother Zooey. This is a family of highly intelligent siblings - one brother has committed suicide, leaving its traces on the other members. But Zooey's ultimate and convincing arguments against his sister's giving up on life and the phoneys out there (similarities to Catcher in the Rye) are given with love, and with reference to words once used by the much-missed brother, Seymour...

Has to be one of my favourite authors. ( )
  starbox | Jul 31, 2016 |
Wasn't a big fan of this to be honest. Franny is by far my favorite of the two stories, and there are parts in Zooey that I liked (particularly Zooey's conversation with his mother in the bathroom) but I was not really feeling it for most of the story, kind of felt like the story was pointless, and I was more or less forcing myself through the last 50 pages. It's not a long book at all, and I think it's one that would do well to be read in one sitting, breaking the reading down into several days really got in the way of my enjoyment I think, it took a long time to "settle in" to the book after every break. I think I will give this another go, some other time, and read it through in one sitting and I'll see how I feel about it then. But so far my least favorite out of the three Salinger I've read.
  zombiehero | Mar 25, 2016 |
As nearly as possible in the spirit of Matthew Salinger, age one, urging a luncheon companion to accept a cool lima bean, I urge my editor, mentor and (heaven help him) closest friend, William Shawn, genius domus of the New Yorker, lover of the long shot, protector of the unprolific, defender of the hopelessly flamboyant, most unreasonably modest of born great artist-editors, to accept this pretty skimpy-looking book.
Franny: Though brilliantly sunny, Saturday morning was overcoat weather again, not just topcoat weather, as it had been all week and as everyone had hoped it would stay for the big weekend - the weekend of the Yale game.
Zooey: The facts at hand presumably speak for themselves, but a trifle more vulgarly, I suspect, than facts even usually do.
Then, like so many people, who, perhaps, ought to be issued only a very probational pass to meet trains, he tried to empty his face of all expression that might quite simply, perhaps even beautifully, reveal how he felt about the arriving person.
I'm sick of just liking people. I wish to God I could meet somebody I could respect.
The worst thing that being an artist could do to you would be that it would make you slightly unhappy constantly.
The Glasses' living room was about as unready to have its walls repainted as a room could be.
The little girl on the plane
who turned her doll's head around to look at me

The little girl on the plane
who turned her doll's head around
to look at me

The author writes: FRANNY came out in The New Yorker in 1955, and was swiftly followed, in 1957 by ZOOEY. Both stories are early, critical entries in a narrative series I'm doing about a family of settlers in twentieth-century New York, the Glasses. It is a long-term project, patently an ambiguous one, and there is a real-enough danger, I suppose that sooner or later I'll bog down, perhaps disappear entirely, in my own methods, locutions, and mannerisms. On the whole, though, I'm very hopeful. I love working on these Glass stories, I've been waiting for them most of my life, and I think I have fairly decent, monomaniacal plans to finish them with due care and all-available skill.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:02:00 -0400)

Meet Franny and her younger brother, Zooey, in two Salinger stories.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,702,851 books! | Top bar: Always visible