Franny and Zooey by J. D. Salinger

Franny and Zooey (original 1961; edition 2001)

by J. D. Salinger

11,337127245 (3.98)2 / 224
Member:Annie1398
Title:Franny and Zooey
Authors:J. D. Salinger
Info:Back Bay Books (2001), Paperback, 208 pages

Franny and Zooey by J. D. Salinger (1961)

Every day in every way, Salinger wants us to get better and better. A story about some people, the Glasses, who are trying to settle down in a New York made up of new symbols and preferred realities. ( )
  dbsovereign | Jan 26, 2016 |
Refreshingly different than almost anything else I've read in a long time. This is a book I carried around as a kid (maybe 12 or 13) until my mom took it away because of "the language." I think that it was not so much the swearing as the fact that the swearing takes place in the midst of talking about Jesus (really talking about Jesus, not just using his name for a swear word.) Anyway, I never got around to reading it as a kid, and I am very glad that I came back to it these many years later. If you can, spend some time with the Glass family...I can't promise that it will be enjoyable, but I think that it will be memorable. ( )
  bibleblaster | Jan 23, 2016 |
I've never been much of a Salingerite (Salingerean?). Caulfield in Catcher drove me up a wall when I read it as a teen and this is the first time I've picked Salinger up since. No walls bore any unwanted attention with this book however, thankfully.

Zooey definitely had an abundance of Caulfield on the tip of his ego in my opinion but I found myself liking both the short story and the novella more than I thought I would. It did have a play-ish feel to it, as I've seen many mention in the reviews I've read. A lot of dialogue to get through in such a small quantity of prose. However, I don't think that the fact that the action is largely emotional or intellectual can really be construed as a complete lack of action on the part of each character. It felt, to me, that rather a lot was going on throughout. Honestly, I think that's what roped me into these stories on their own and combined more than anything else. I felt such movement in the characters and it seemed wonderfully capturing. Plus, it sparked a good deal of self awareness and thought which always makes for a "good book" in my opinion.

I don't know if I have a "favorite" part from the book but the predominant excerpt that keeps ringing for me is, "there isn't anyone anywhere that isn't Seymour's Fat Lady. Don't you know that? Don't you know that goddam secret yet? And don't you know- listen to me now- don't you know who that Fat lady really is?... Ah, buddy. Ah, buddy. It's Christ himself."

It's such a boiled down simplification of something so many seem to find so intellectually intangible. Going beyond the pretty charming visualizations of said Fat Lady that both children had at one point or another, the 'end all, be all' of the coined phrase, "...the Fat Lady sings" went round and round my head while I was reading this part. Everyone is the Fat Lady, the Fat Lady is Christ, Christ is everyone... well that's just goddam beautiful. ( )
  lemotamant898 | Jan 18, 2016 |

motavant | Jan 17, 2016 |
Franny and Zooey are the youngest members of a family of highly educated and intelligent children. In the first section of the book, Franny is visiting her boyfriend at college for a weekend when her disaffection with the world gets the better of her. She returns to her family’s apartment in New York City and spends a day crying before having a long talk with Zooey about religion, society, and the search for knowledge, among other things.

I really liked this book, and I loved Salinger’s sense of humor. Even though Franny and Zooey think they’re unique, I think most people can identify with them and their problems to some extent. I may need to reread this sometime. ( )
  AmandaL. | Jan 16, 2016 |
As nearly as possible in the spirit of Matthew Salinger, age one, urging a luncheon companion to accept a cool lima bean, I urge my editor, mentor and (heaven help him) closest friend, William Shawn, genius domus of the New Yorker, lover of the long shot, protector of the unprolific, defender of the hopelessly flamboyant, most unreasonably modest of born great artist-editors, to accept this pretty skimpy-looking book.
Franny: Though brilliantly sunny, Saturday morning was overcoat weather again, not just topcoat weather, as it had been all week and as everyone had hoped it would stay for the big weekend - the weekend of the Yale game.
Zooey: The facts at hand presumably speak for themselves, but a trifle more vulgarly, I suspect, than facts even usually do.
Then, like so many people, who, perhaps, ought to be issued only a very probational pass to meet trains, he tried to empty his face of all expression that might quite simply, perhaps even beautifully, reveal how he felt about the arriving person.
I'm sick of just liking people. I wish to God I could meet somebody I could respect.
The worst thing that being an artist could do to you would be that it would make you slightly unhappy constantly.
The Glasses' living room was about as unready to have its walls repainted as a room could be.

The author writes: FRANNY came out in The New Yorker in 1955, and was swiftly followed, in 1957 by ZOOEY. Both stories are early, critical entries in a narrative series I'm doing about a family of settlers in twentieth-century New York, the Glasses. It is a long-term project, patently an ambiguous one, and there is a real-enough danger, I suppose that sooner or later I'll bog down, perhaps disappear entirely, in my own methods, locutions, and mannerisms. On the whole, though, I'm very hopeful. I love working on these Glass stories, I've been waiting for them most of my life, and I think I have fairly decent, monomaniacal plans to finish them with due care and all-available skill.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:02:00 -0400)

Meet Franny and her younger brother, Zooey, in two Salinger stories.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,051,894 books! | Top bar: Always visible