Franny and Zooey by J. D. Salinger

Franny and Zooey (edition 2001)

by J. D. Salinger

10,723None260 (3.99)2 / 200
Member:Jistyr
Title:Franny and Zooey
Authors:J. D. Salinger
Info:Back Bay Books (2001), Paperback, 208 pages
Rating:**

Franny and Zooey by J. D. Salinger

1001 (38) 1001 books (36) 20th century (135) America (34) American (200) American fiction (44) American literature (205) classic (152) classics (125) coming of age (58) family (102) favorite (41) fiction (1,349) glass family (56) J.D. Salinger (31) literature (212) New York (77) New York City (38) novel (174) novella (41) own (70) paperback (33) read (169) religion (53) Salinger (83) short stories (141) siblings (33) to-read (89) unread (42) USA (40)

English (103)  German (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  French (1)  All languages (106)
Brilliant dialogue. No chapters. So many cigarettes, so much smoking. Can you get secondhand smoke from a book? I think I need a shower. Speaking of which, that conversation in the bathroom goes on forEVER. I kept wanting one of them to LEAVE THE ROOM.

3.5 stars ( )
  alienhard | Mar 26, 2014 |
Second Reading: Still arresting and genuinely touching. What struck me this time thru is how each member of the family uses their own specific 'roles' to deal with emotional pain. Bessie, the matron, frets and frowns, offers bowls of chicken broth as a sort of sacrament. Franny, the spiritualist and actor, flies into a touching performance of spiritual ennui. Zooey, ever extravagant, plays the roles of mother, of brother, and living room psycho-anylist, relishing his own performance. Buddy, the writer, of course, takes the job of family chronicler, feeling engaged from afar. And Seymour, the ghost, rumbles thru every word they speak, as if the beauty of his mind has both enriched and stained them unspeakably.

Beautiful. ( )
  blanderson | Mar 4, 2014 |
Both "Franny" and "Zooey" are excellent chapters in the story of the Glass Family, with a meaning and an influence far greater than such short stories usually possess.

"Franny" is a fairly straightforward story of a brilliant young woman, who unable to tolerate any longer the conceit of being around dumb and ordinary people devoid of spirituality, has an existential breakdown. "Zooey," meanwhile, is a more challenging story of Franny's cathartic recovery.

After reading "Zooey," J.D. Salinger's meandering 1957 novella, and then looking at the history of its publication in Kenneth Slawenski's excellent biography, "J.D. Salinger: A Life," I wasn't that surprised to know that this unusual story was unanimously and viciously rejected by the fiction department of "The New Yorker." However, since this was a work by J.D. Salinger, a most unusual and most gifted writer, the ordinary rules of what made good writing could be nudged aside.

And so, I shouldn't have been so surprised to read that William Shawn, then Editor in Chief of "The New Yorker," picked up "Zooey," and to the embarrassment of the fiction department worked with Salinger to revise the novel until it was published.

"Zooey," as a traditional piece of fiction, fails on many levels: it's too long, it's too confusing, it's too indulgent, etc. And I think the argument rings true that Salinger, like Jack London, while they were masters of the short story, were not particularly adept with the novel. Yes, “The Catcher in the Rye” is a classic novel, but it is an episodic adventure, a deft stitching of multiple short stories. "Zooey," meanwhile, is structurally indulgent, even excessive: the 155-page novel devotes the first half to a technically-astute introduction to Zooey Glass, his mother, and their messy apartment. Indulgently, almost absentmindedly, the pay-off from reading “Zooey” in its entirety arrives in the last quarter of the novel.

(There’s something about Zooey.) For me, "Zooey" is a book about many things. It’s a slice of life or home movie of the Glass Family. It's a story about Zooey, Franny's older brother, teaching her to find the goodness in all people and to love them through the goodness in their actions, and in doing so restore Franny's faith in the world. It's about the development of Franny from emotional-intellectual-spiritual confusion to enlightenment. And "Zooey" is also about how a writer with an unhappy childhood, who survived Utah Beach, the Battle of the Bulge and of the Hurtgen Forest, who helped to liberate a Nazi concentration camp, learned to deal with the pain he had felt and horrors he had seen, and how he taught himself to live again.

In these ways, "Zooey" is an original and memorable answer to three questions:
1. How could it all go wrong?
2. When did we become so ordinary?
3. How can I live again?

"Zooey," despite its strange, indulgent execution and its diffuseness, is J.D. Salinger's clever and Zen answer to these questions:

To begin to know and to love others, one must know and love yourself.

4/5 ( )
  GYKM | Feb 10, 2014 |
I loved the complex characters. The family was so intriguing. This was the first I've read by Salinger, and I can't wait to read more. ( )
  BreanneG | Feb 4, 2014 |
Loved it. Full review can be found at http://chapterofdreams.com/?p=4266 ( )
  mlbelize | Jan 27, 2014 |
As nearly as possible in the spirit of Matthew Salinger, age one, urging a luncheon companion to accept a cool lima bean, I urge my editor, mentor and (heaven help him) closest friend, William Shawn, genius domus of the New Yorker, lover of the long shot, protector of the unprolific, defender of the hopelessly flamboyant, most unreasonably modest of born great artist-editors, to accept this pretty skimpy-looking book.
Though brilliantly sunny, Saturday morning was overcoat weather again, not just topcoat weather, as it had been all week and as everyone had hoped it would stay for the big weekend - the weekend of the Yale game.
The facts at hand presumably speak for themselves, but a trifle more vulgarly, I suspect, than facts even usually do.
Then, like so many people, who, perhaps, ought to be issued only a very probational pass to meet trains, he tried to empty his face of all expression that might quite simply, perhaps even beautifully, reveal how he felt about the arriving person.
I'm sick of just liking people. I wish to God I could meet somebody I could respect.
The worst thing that being an artist could do to you would be that it would make you slightly unhappy constantly.
The Glasses' living room was about as unready to have its walls repainted as a room could be.

The author writes: FRANNY came out in The New Yorker in 1955, and was swiftly followed, in 1957 by ZOOEY. Both stories are early, critical entries in a narrative series I'm doing about a family of settlers in twentieth-century New York, the Glasses. It is a long-term project, patently an ambiguous one, and there is a real-enough danger, I suppose that sooner or later I'll bog down, perhaps disappear entirely, in my own methods, locutions, and mannerisms. On the whole, though, I'm very hopeful. I love working on these Glass stories, I've been waiting for them most of my life, and I think I have fairly decent, monomaniacal plans to finish them with due care and all-available skill.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:21:00 -0400)

Meet Franny and her younger brother, Zooey, in two Salinger stories.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,428,854 books! | Top bar: Always visible