Franny and Zooey by J. D. Salinger

Franny and Zooey (edition 2001)

by J. D. Salinger

10,845109259 (4)2 / 209
Member:Jistyr
Title:Franny and Zooey
Authors:J. D. Salinger
Info:Back Bay Books (2001), Paperback, 208 pages
Rating:**

Franny and Zooey by J. D. Salinger

I liked this book very much when I read it as a teenager. I'm not sure it would please me as much now, and I probably will not re-read it. ( )
  auntieknickers | Aug 8, 2014 |
Salinger's writing is extraordinary. It is vivid and descriptive, and I have no doubt that there are scenes in this book that I will never forget. Salinger is a master of atmosphere. However, there was too much atmosphere for me and I felt dragged down by the book. It was a brilliant book that I didn't enjoy reading very much. ( )
  eapalmer | Jun 8, 2014 |
“Your heart, Bessie, is an autumn garage.” ( )
  MoranaBlue | May 12, 2014 |
There's just something about this book, although its pretty much a few conversations between a cast of four people, Salinger managed to include so much. I consider this to be my favourite of his books, like a grown up catcher in the rye, a book I read a few years ago and enjoyed but which left me with a peculiar feeling. It was my first Salinger and I have since grown accustomed to his unusual style of writing, which makes me think I should reread it.

Anyway, this book is fantastic, my favourite of the conversations has to be the bathroom scene, as Zooey also happens to be my favourite character. I, like most Salinger fans, am very fond of the Glasses and this has to the best thing he wrote about them. ( )
  katie1802 | May 10, 2014 |
Brilliant dialogue. No chapters. So many cigarettes, so much smoking. Can you get secondhand smoke from a book? I think I need a shower. Speaking of which, that conversation in the bathroom goes on forEVER. I kept wanting one of them to LEAVE THE ROOM.

3.5 stars ( )
1 vote alienhard | Mar 26, 2014 |
As nearly as possible in the spirit of Matthew Salinger, age one, urging a luncheon companion to accept a cool lima bean, I urge my editor, mentor and (heaven help him) closest friend, William Shawn, genius domus of the New Yorker, lover of the long shot, protector of the unprolific, defender of the hopelessly flamboyant, most unreasonably modest of born great artist-editors, to accept this pretty skimpy-looking book.
Though brilliantly sunny, Saturday morning was overcoat weather again, not just topcoat weather, as it had been all week and as everyone had hoped it would stay for the big weekend - the weekend of the Yale game.
The facts at hand presumably speak for themselves, but a trifle more vulgarly, I suspect, than facts even usually do.
Then, like so many people, who, perhaps, ought to be issued only a very probational pass to meet trains, he tried to empty his face of all expression that might quite simply, perhaps even beautifully, reveal how he felt about the arriving person.
I'm sick of just liking people. I wish to God I could meet somebody I could respect.
The worst thing that being an artist could do to you would be that it would make you slightly unhappy constantly.
The Glasses' living room was about as unready to have its walls repainted as a room could be.

The author writes: FRANNY came out in The New Yorker in 1955, and was swiftly followed, in 1957 by ZOOEY. Both stories are early, critical entries in a narrative series I'm doing about a family of settlers in twentieth-century New York, the Glasses. It is a long-term project, patently an ambiguous one, and there is a real-enough danger, I suppose that sooner or later I'll bog down, perhaps disappear entirely, in my own methods, locutions, and mannerisms. On the whole, though, I'm very hopeful. I love working on these Glass stories, I've been waiting for them most of my life, and I think I have fairly decent, monomaniacal plans to finish them with due care and all-available skill.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:21:00 -0400)

Meet Franny and her younger brother, Zooey, in two Salinger stories.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,669,839 books! | Top bar: Always visible