Check out the Valentine’s Day Heart Hunt!

Dracula [Norton Critical Edition] by Bram…

Dracula [Norton Critical Edition]

by Bram Stoker, Nina Auerbach (Editor), David J. Skal (Editor)

English (97)  Spanish (1)  All languages (98)
Revolutionary as it must have been, the read is painfully slow, repetitive, and focused on travel. I say this as someone who's happy to read 1000 travel-centric LOTR pages, Stoker just wasn't using language in a manner I can remain fixed on for longer than 30-45minute sessions.

It's impossible for me to properly weigh the book's influence and importance from the POV of it having informed the horror genre narrative for generations before my birth - I can only say that reading it became a chore, and the two sentences devoted to the story's climax were about as anti-climactic as could be.

I feel like Linus being led back inside from the pumpkin patch, as I spent the vast majority of my quality October reading time on a purported gem, only to be left wishing I had spent the time differently.

An abridged version, as anathema to reading as I usually find them to be, would be the route I'd recommend to others. ( )
  Ron18 | Feb 17, 2019 |
This was a very interesting book. I went into it without knowing anything about the story, and so it was all new to me.

Dracula is not an action-packed story. It is a series of journal entries, letters, telegrams, and medical notes compiled together by one of the characters (not saying who, because SPOILERS!), after the fact. If you like lots of action and think that chatting in a dark room, trying to come up with a plan to destroy the vampire is lame, don't read this book. It was hard to keep going at points, but the ending, while slightly anticlimactic, was definitely worth the read.

Thanks, Gryffindor for getting me into this book! ( )
  kat_the_bookcat | Feb 7, 2019 |
This review is posted on my blog
Sometimes a classic is just like a really old rich guy in a cape hitting on someone else's girlfriend, and that's the impression I got from Dracula. As anyone who is my Goodreads friend already knows, it took me an incredibly long time to read this book. It was actually on my currently reading shelf for a very long time (like 3 years) because I just could not find the drive to read this dusty old book when there were so many books I actually wanted to read. I recently started reading Stephen King, however, and he mentions that his book Salem's Lot was heavily influenced by Dracula so I pushed through and finished it.

I did not like this book. I thought it was slow, and boring, and honestly disappointing. There was very little of Dracula, and instead page upon page of pointless love triangle (octagon?). I think the whole thing just went on forever and then ended very unsatisfactory.

I am glad I read it, however, because I now feel like I have a much better understanding of the vampire genre. I understand why so many vampire books are romances, and why there is always a love triangle. It has always bothered me, but I do now understand why. I think it's hilarious when people attack Twilight when this book read more like a cheesy romance than a horror.

I was also not a huge fan of the style the book was written in. I've never really liked reading journals or letters and this book was comprised of mostly that.

If you liked books like The Vampire Diaries, or The Sookie Stackhouse books, you should go out right now and get this book, but if you're more like me, and are tired of boring sappy stories about girls that everyone wants, skip this book. I 'm glad I read this, but mostly for the experience of having read it, and the context it brings to other books, but then, I've never been big on classics.

How do you think the classics hold up to their reputations?
  AngelaRenea | Jan 12, 2019 |
This was... this was okay.
It's difficult to judge classics fairly, as one's likely to be so steeped in their derivative works that to criticize a 'progenitor' feels tantamount to slandering a lineage. That said, I found myself largely unmoved by the tale, and a bit dismayed by the glut of all-too-familiar powers ascribed to Dracula -- "moonbeams" indeed.

My single favorite part was hearing Christopher Lee (who narrated this copy of the book) say of Lucy Westenra: "...If looks could kill...!" ( )
  Ubiquitine | Nov 24, 2018 |
I unexpectedly loved this book.

Dracula was on my list of classics, but I was not looking forward to it - vampire, blood, horror, blah, blah, blah. Well, there were vampires, blood and horror, but no blah. It was an exciting adventure and mystery story, well written, well paced, that kept me hooked. I relished discovering the original of all the vampire tropes we see - the coffin, the transformations, garlic, stakes, crucifixes, the castle, the teeth, etc. I especially enjoyed the character of Mina as a strong, self-starter woman, who is the brains of the vampire hunters. Such a rarity to have a strong female in the literature of the time. Hats off, Mr. Bram Stoker!

I listened to the full-cast Audible production, led by Alan Cumming and Tim Curry. It is superb and free on Amazon Prime, I highly recommend it! ( )
  Gezemice | Oct 29, 2018 |

Bram Stokerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Auerbach, NinaEditormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Skal, David J.Editormain authorall editionsconfirmed

Contains

Do Not Combine: This is a "Norton Critical Edition", it is a unique work with significant added material, including essays and background materials. Do not combine with other editions of the work. Please maintain the phrase "Norton Critical Edition" in the Canonical Title and Publisher Series fields.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0393970124, Paperback)

Dracula is one of the few horror books to be honored by inclusion in the Norton Critical Edition series. (The others are Frankenstein, The Turn of the Screw, Heart of Darkness, The Picture of Dorian Gray, and The Metamorphosis.) This 100th-anniversary edition includes not only the complete authoritative text of the novel with illuminating footnotes, but also four contextual essays, five reviews from the time of publication, five articles on dramatic and film variations, and seven selections from literary and academic criticism. Nina Auerbach of the University of Pennsylvania (author of Our Vampires, Ourselves) and horror scholar David J. Skal (author of Hollywood Gothic, The Monster Show, and Screams of Reason) are the editors of the volume. Especially fascinating are excerpts from materials that Bram Stoker consulted in his research for the book, and his working papers over the several years he was composing it. The selection of criticism includes essays on how Dracula deals with female sexuality, gender inversion, homoerotic elements, and Victorian fears of "reverse colonization" by politically turbulent Transylvania.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:57:58 -0400)

After discovering the double identity of the wealthy Transylvanian nobleman, Count Dracula, a small group of people vow to rid the world of the evil vampire.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,491,757 books! | Top bar: Always visible