Dracula [Norton Critical Edition] by Bram…

Dracula [Norton Critical Edition]

by Bram Stoker, Nina Auerbach (Editor), David J. Skal (Editor)

A rich selection of background and source materials is provided in three areas: Contexts includes probable inspirations for Dracula in the earlier works of James Malcolm Rymer and Emily Gerard. Also included are a discussion of Stoker's working notes for the novel and "Dracula's Guest," the original opening chapter to Dracula. Reviews and Reactions reprints five early reviews of the novel. "Dramatic and Film Variations" focuses on theater and film adaptations of Dracula, two indications of the novel's unwavering appeal. David J. Skal, Gregory A. Waller, and Nina Auerbach offer their varied perspectives. Checklists of both dramatic and film adaptations are included. Criticism collects seven theoretical interpretations of Dracula by Phyllis A. Roth, Carol A. Senf, Franco Moretti, Christopher Craft, Bram Dijsktra, Stephen D. Arata, and Talia Schaffer. A Chronology and a Selected Bibliography are included.… (more)

English (101)  Spanish (1)  All languages (102)
Me gustó mucho este libro, me gustaron los personajes; así como cada una de sus personalidades y los lugares. Mis personajes favoritos son Abraham van Helsing y Mina Harker (Murray). Creo que al final se vuelve un poco precipitado, pero es una buena obra. La recomiendo. ( )
  RafaTenochca | Sep 10, 2019 |
It was good :D A classic! What more can I say?! The only thing I disliked about this was the letter-format book..I hate letter-type but had to read this nonetheless. :) ( )
  Catherine_GV | Jun 20, 2019 |
I thought it was an excellent read, & I love reading it over & over, it never gets old. ( )
  SPEAR7 | Mar 27, 2019 |
I have not read Twilight.

However, I have seen the movies, so I know what Stephenie Meyer has done to the vampire. This in itself, I believe, is grounds enough to refuse to read the books. Guys, believe me when I say this, vampires don't sparkle. In fact, vampires are scary as shit.

Seriously.

I don't only blame Meyer alone for the romanticizing of the vampire, though I do blame her for the extremes to which she took it. Anne Rice did it to. Read Interview with a Vampire or The Vampire LeStat. Both are good books, by the way, but both turn the vampire into a hero, beautiful and desirable, lost and searching. But the vampire was never meant to be a hero. The vampire was always meant to be a thing of horror, a thing to be feared.

I'm not actually saying much here. I mean, I love Anne Rice's books. And Buffy and Angel? How can I condemn such a love story between the Vampire Slayer and the creature she's supposed to be killing? Star-crossed lovers at their best. But, I am lamenting the loss of the horror of vampires. They used to be some of the most terrifying creatures one could imagine. Now? They're a watered down semblance of themselves.

In Dracula, the reader is given a full, terrifying view of what a vampire is, in all its horrific glory. There is nothing safe and cuddly about a vampire. They are, truly, monsters.

Read it! It will turn your world upside-down, if only for the days you spend reading it. ( )
  Wordbrarian | Mar 5, 2019 |
This novel holds such depth and richness and brilliance and such marvelous, simple truth in its theme: The defeat of evil must be worth dying for. No Hollywood horror flick can touch the original. The final moments of this book shine with unexpected brightness. ( )
  AmandaGStevens | Mar 2, 2019 |

Bram Stokerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Auerbach, NinaEditormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Skal, David J.Editormain authorall editionsconfirmed

Contains

Do Not Combine: This is a "Norton Critical Edition", it is a unique work with significant added material, including essays and background materials. Do not combine with other editions of the work. Please maintain the phrase "Norton Critical Edition" in the Canonical Title and Publisher Series fields.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,925,844 books! | Top bar: Always visible