Dracula [Norton Critical Edition] by Bram…

Dracula [Norton Critical Edition]

by Bram Stoker, Nina Auerbach (Editor), David J. Skal (Editor)

3,208911,733 (3.85)1

English (90)  Spanish (1)  All (91)
I mean- it’s a classic. Gotta give it some credit there. A lot of God talk though- I guess you have to observe and judge it within its historical context- written in 1897, it was a very religious time and I guess God and holy objects were the only way anyone could imagine to conquer evil. However, despite the dialogue and monologues that focus on God and being holy etc., the plot does focus on good people trying to do good things to help others. ( )
  nheredia05 | Jun 12, 2018 |
I had a great time re-reading this. The serial format was an excellent way of following the story and lent itself to the diary entries and letters. Almost felt as if I was part of the group seeking out the undead himself. Classic! ( )
  Arkrayder | May 28, 2018 |
After promising myself for a few years that I would reread this classic, I finally got to it this year. I enjoyed it much more this time than I did the first time around when I was in high school. ( )
  RivetedReaderMelissa | Mar 22, 2018 |
My first vampire novel was Anne Rice's Interview with a Vampire, which I read in the early 90s. I've been under vampires' literary thrall ever since. And yet, I've never read the most famous story that serves as an origin for so many others. Now I'm adding this to my list of my favorite vampire stories.

Bram Stoker creates a deeply suspenseful story through the journal entries and letters of his characters. We gain knowledge as the characters tell each other and the reader the series of events. I found that this particular format left me feeling of being somewhat removed from the story. However, given the times (very late 1800s) I suppose this was more appropriate than our typical full-out sexualized and grimly gory version.

From a critical review that was included in my edition:

"Keep “Dracula” out of the way of nervous children, certainly; but a grown reader, unless he be of the unserviceably delicate stuff, will both shudder and enjoy when Harker sees the Count “emerge from the window and begin to crawl down the castle wall over that dreadful abyss, face down, with his cloak spreading out around him like great wings.” (Review, Bookman, August 1897)

Stoker's Dracula isn't a main character in the story. He is the bat you see from the corner of your eye as it circles above, yet you cover your head and watch it in dread. As such Dracula swoops down into the story with exquisite creepiness to forever change the lives of all the characters, especially Lucy and Renfield. But then he swoops away before you get the full picture of his evil.

Stoker does give the reader a full characterization of the man characters, Mina and Jonathan Harker, Dr. John Seward, and Professor Van Helsing. Rooting for them as they chase Dracula and try to save Mina's soul and humanity, I enjoyed every bit of this book. ( )
  TheBibliophage | Mar 20, 2018 |
See meenutas mulle Jenoveeva lugusid oma absurdse pateetilisuse ja ilukõnega. ( )
  stiina.sild | Mar 10, 2018 |

Bram Stokerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Auerbach, NinaEditormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Skal, David J.Editormain authorall editionsconfirmed

Contains

Do Not Combine: This is a "Norton Critical Edition", it is a unique work with significant added material, including essays and background materials. Do not combine with other editions of the work. Please maintain the phrase "Norton Critical Edition" in the Canonical Title and Publisher Series fields.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0393970124, Paperback)

Dracula is one of the few horror books to be honored by inclusion in the Norton Critical Edition series. (The others are Frankenstein, The Turn of the Screw, Heart of Darkness, The Picture of Dorian Gray, and The Metamorphosis.) This 100th-anniversary edition includes not only the complete authoritative text of the novel with illuminating footnotes, but also four contextual essays, five reviews from the time of publication, five articles on dramatic and film variations, and seven selections from literary and academic criticism. Nina Auerbach of the University of Pennsylvania (author of Our Vampires, Ourselves) and horror scholar David J. Skal (author of Hollywood Gothic, The Monster Show, and Screams of Reason) are the editors of the volume. Especially fascinating are excerpts from materials that Bram Stoker consulted in his research for the book, and his working papers over the several years he was composing it. The selection of criticism includes essays on how Dracula deals with female sexuality, gender inversion, homoerotic elements, and Victorian fears of "reverse colonization" by politically turbulent Transylvania.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:57:58 -0400)

After discovering the double identity of the wealthy Transylvanian nobleman, Count Dracula, a small group of people vow to rid the world of the evil vampire.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,386,057 books! | Top bar: Always visible