Dracula (Norton Critical Editions) by Bram…

Dracula (Norton Critical Editions) (edition 1996)

by Bram Stoker, Nina Auerbach (Editor), David J. Skal (Editor)

Member:onenita
Title:Dracula (Norton Critical Editions)
Authors:Bram Stoker
Other authors:Nina Auerbach (Editor), David J. Skal (Editor)
Info:W. W. Norton & Company (1996), Edition: 1st, Paperback, 512 pages

Dracula [Norton Critical Edition] by Bram Stoker

English (93)  Spanish (1)  All languages (94)
Okay, so I am not really reading this version. I bought the app for the iPad and am reading that one. It is cool. Stokers suspense is magnified by reader interactions of opening envelopes dim reading lights during nighttime events. Many clues and links are hidden in the reading. I wouldn't say it is a game but it is interactive reading the requires more than just... reading. ( )
  ksmedberg | Aug 15, 2018 |
I love Dracula. This is a book that I read for the first time in college as required reading for a critical film/lit class. We were required to read this one and then watch Nosferatu (which is a viewing experience all by itself). I loved this book and couldn't put it down. For starters, Dracula is an epistolary novel, and though I don't come across these very often, when I do, I seem to love them. There's something about the way a story is told through letters that is so incredibly suspenseful. And then you add the 'horror' aspect - the absolute creepiness that is Dracula - and you have yourself a winner. This one is one I highly recommend and a classic that I think is deserving of the title. ( )
  justagirlwithabook | Aug 1, 2018 |
Dracula was a bit of a surprise to me. It seemed to have little in common with the old Bela Lugosi film that I remember (albeit not very vividly) from my childhood. I can see why it became a classic and endured over the years, it is sensational and mildly erotic.

Perhaps the greatest surprise is that Count Dracula himself is seen but little during the telling of the tale. The action centers itself around the search for him and the efforts of the five men and one woman who risk themselves to bring about his destruction. For most of the novel the pace is good, and while it does slow and become cumbersome in spots, it is a very tolerable read.

Horror and supernatural are genres of which I have little interest. I do not seem to get the same thrill from carnage and spine-chilling as some do. I do not watch such shows as Criminal Minds and Dexter and cannot quite fathom what others find fascinating there. In that vein, this was not my cup of tea. On the other hand, there was something that pushed (or perhaps pulled) me through this novel and I am glad to say I have read it.

I did look for some greater themes in it, such as the ones easily found in Mary Shelley's Frankenstein. I confess that I did not find them. The idea that Lucy and Mina might have been lost to God and salvation because of some action by this monster was a negation of any religious theme, and I felt strongly that there was nothing here to find beyond the sensationalism of a good scary tale, much as one might find in a B-rated horror flick.

I will be anxious to see if others in the group of readers finds something significant that I have missed. Perhaps my lack of lust for the subject matter has dimmed my ability to squeeze out the lessons planted within?

To anyone planning to read Dracula, I say dive in, it is a bit of fun and a flashy ride. ( )
  phantomswife | Jul 6, 2018 |
I mean- it’s a classic. Gotta give it some credit there. A lot of God talk though- I guess you have to observe and judge it within its historical context- written in 1897, it was a very religious time and I guess God and holy objects were the only way anyone could imagine to conquer evil. However, despite the dialogue and monologues that focus on God and being holy etc., the plot does focus on good people trying to do good things to help others. ( )
  nheredia05 | Jun 12, 2018 |
I had a great time re-reading this. The serial format was an excellent way of following the story and lent itself to the diary entries and letters. Almost felt as if I was part of the group seeking out the undead himself. Classic! ( )
  Arkrayder | May 28, 2018 |

Bram Stokerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Auerbach, NinaEditormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Skal, David J.Editormain authorall editionsconfirmed

Contains

Do Not Combine: This is a "Norton Critical Edition", it is a unique work with significant added material, including essays and background materials. Do not combine with other editions of the work. Please maintain the phrase "Norton Critical Edition" in the Canonical Title and Publisher Series fields.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0393970124, Paperback)

Dracula is one of the few horror books to be honored by inclusion in the Norton Critical Edition series. (The others are Frankenstein, The Turn of the Screw, Heart of Darkness, The Picture of Dorian Gray, and The Metamorphosis.) This 100th-anniversary edition includes not only the complete authoritative text of the novel with illuminating footnotes, but also four contextual essays, five reviews from the time of publication, five articles on dramatic and film variations, and seven selections from literary and academic criticism. Nina Auerbach of the University of Pennsylvania (author of Our Vampires, Ourselves) and horror scholar David J. Skal (author of Hollywood Gothic, The Monster Show, and Screams of Reason) are the editors of the volume. Especially fascinating are excerpts from materials that Bram Stoker consulted in his research for the book, and his working papers over the several years he was composing it. The selection of criticism includes essays on how Dracula deals with female sexuality, gender inversion, homoerotic elements, and Victorian fears of "reverse colonization" by politically turbulent Transylvania.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:57:58 -0400)

After discovering the double identity of the wealthy Transylvanian nobleman, Count Dracula, a small group of people vow to rid the world of the evil vampire.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,920,010 books! | Top bar: Always visible