Go Down, Moses by William Faulkner

Go Down, Moses (original 1942; edition 1942)

by William Faulkner

2,320242,722 (3.89)73
Member:sollocks
Title:Go Down, Moses
Authors:William Faulkner
Info:Modern Library (1942), Edition: Modern Library Edition, Hardcover
Collections:Your library, Books Adrian has read
Tags:Fiction, American Literature, 2012, Nobel Prize in Literature

Go Down, Moses by William Faulkner (1942)

I just love Faulkner's writing - the Deep South he describes just seems to come to life before my eyes. This set of connected short stories make up the history of two entwined families -- the white family of McCaslin/Edmonds and the Negro family of Beauchamp -- ranging from the pre-Civil War times to the 1940s. The heart of the book is the novella "The Bear," which I had read years ago. I think that it was enhanced by having the surrounding stories and would recommend this over reading it as a stand-alone. ( )
  leslie.98 | Jun 12, 2016 |
As a literature student or a reader, I'm not sure how to rate this. It is my first experience with Faulkner (how did I get so far without having read him before).

Overall, a very interesting novel that challenges what a novel IS.

As an example, the central "chapter" - "The Bear" - could be argued to be a novella on its own. But the surrounding stories, which build up the narrative of the family and its history, all contribute something to it.

Faulkner does some amazing things with sentence structure, stretching the rules of English syntax to their limits in some of the most astounding ways.

Not sure if this would be the work I'd suggest as someone's "first Faulkner".
  jennaelf | Jan 5, 2016 |
I'm sort of surprised how much I enjoyed this book. I expected it to be a struggle, like Little Women was -- which I gave up on and decided I honestly just don't care how those women turned out. This one I enjoyed.

I'm listing it as "History" because I think recently we've been trying to rewrite history ... "It wasn't THAT BAD! People are making more of the Civil War and slavery than it was!" ... and this book almost beats you about the face with the true reality of the time. Part of me wants to keep it for that reason. I can also foresee books like these -- that liberally use the "N-word" -- being collected and burned in order to better control what we remember about the past.

I think I will keep it.
Adrianne ( )
  Adrianne_p | Jul 12, 2015 |
A series of Southern short stories by a master. Great work. ( )
  JVioland | Jul 14, 2014 |
Having never read Faulkner, I was pretty happy with this one. I enjoyed each story for itself, as well as how well each story fit in with the whole. The only thing that I would have liked better was if he had "ordered" the stories in chronological order, & not had them skip back & forth in time the way they did. Hemingway did this with the Nick Adams stories, but when they were released as a book after his death, the publishers put them in order so that they made sense. I would have loved to have seen that done with this book, as it can throw you when you go from one time period to another, then back again. ( )
  Lisa.Johnson.James | Apr 17, 2014 |
To Mammy /
CAROLINE BARR /
Mississippi /
[1840-1940] /
Who was born in slavery and who /
gave to my family a fidelity without /
stint or calculation of recompense /
and to my childhood an immeasur- /
able devotion and love [As shown in 1955 1st Modern Library ed.]
Isaac McCaslin, 'Uncle Ike', past seventy and nearer eighty than he ever corroborated any more, a widower now and uncle to half a county and father to no one.

“I believe that man will not merely endure: he will prevail. He is immortal, not because he alone among creatures has an inexhaustible voice, but because he has a soul, a spirit capable of compassion and sacrifice and endurance.” —William Faulkner, on receiving the Nobel Prize

Go Down, Moses is composed of seven interrelated stories, all of them set in Faulkner’s mythic Yoknapatawpha County. From a variety of perspectives, Faulkner examines the complex, changing relationships between blacks and whites, between man and nature, weaving a cohesive novel rich in implication and insight.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:16 -0400)

Faulkner examines the changing relationship of black to white and of man to the land, and weaves a complex work that is rich in understanding of the human condition.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,877,527 books! | Top bar: Always visible