dismiss

Gulliver's Travels by Jonathan Swift

Gulliver's Travels (1912)

by Jonathan Swift

The voyages of an Englishman carry him to such strange places as Lilliput, where people are six inches tall; Brobdingnag, a land of giants; an island of sorcerers; and a country ruled by horses.
    Robinson Crusoe by Daniel Defoe (infiniteletters)
    The Adventures of Tom Sawyer / The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain (chwiggy)
    Mistress Masham's Repose by T. H. White (infiniteletters)
    Candide by Voltaire (leigonj)
    leigonj: Two 18th century satires which chart the misfortunes of their protagonsists, here and there, across the (imagined) world.
    Kappa by Ryunosuke Akutagawa (CGlanovsky)
    CGlanovsky: Visitor to a strange society that subtly satirizes his own.
    The Food of the Gods, and How It Came to Earth by H. G. Wells (Hedgepeth)
    Penguin Island by Anatole France (Lapsus_Linguae)
    The Complete Stories by Franz Kafka (leigonj)
    leigonj: Kafka had Swift's book in his library and there are definite commonalities between their two writings; I'd be surprised if one had not influenced the other. (Also The Trial).
    The Golden Age by Michal Ajvaz (CGlanovsky)
    CGlanovsky: Faux travelogues of fictitious island cultures detailing the intricacies of their geography, governance, cuisine, art, etc.
    Het rondzwervende 'Vreemde' by Sigizmoend Krzizjanovski (razorsoccamremembers)
    A Pirate of Exquisite Mind: Explorer, Naturalist, and Buccaneer: The Life of William Dampier by Diana Preston (PaperbackPirate)
Read (19)

English (154)  Spanish (8)  Dutch (6)  Italian (4)  French (3)  Portuguese (2)  Swedish (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  German (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (181)
In 2015 The Guardian published a list of the 100 best novels published in English, listed in chronological order of publication. Under Covid inspired lockdown, I have taken up the challenge. Gulliver's Travels is book 3 in the list.
While I have always been aware of the book, and can visualise illustrations of Gulliver tied down by the Lilliputians, I don't think I have ever read the full text.
This is not some early sci-fi/fantasy volume of imagined travels in a different world. It is intended as a commentary on contemporary society by creating different norms in the different worlds and contrasting them with the world at home.In the first part of the book, Lilliput, the compare-and-contrast is quite subtle, but becomes more pointed as the book moves to other worlds.
I'm glad I never read this as a child, as I'm sure I would have missed the point. Reading as an adult is a much more satisfying experience.
Swift is smart (Dean of St Patrick's, Dublin) and incisive. He shines a strong light on the perceived vanities and stupidities of his age.
As an aside, it is interesting how much more earthy his writing is, compared to that of the Victorian era a 100 years later. Even as a churchman, he is able to be explicit about bodies and bodily functions, topics that would have given rise to the vapours in the later era. ( )
  mbmackay | May 2, 2020 |
Ex-lib. markings ( )
  ME_Dictionary | Mar 20, 2020 |
This book turned out to be completely different than I expected. And I'm not sure that's good.

Gulliver's Travels are considered a classic adventure novel and are among novels for children and teenagers. And that's what I expected. And here it turned out that this is more a moralizing critique and an essay on the state of government. Fairy-tale elements help Swift only to, at times very venomously, comment on human characters, British politics etc. I don't know how these issues would be of interest to the child. This is clearly an adult book. I also understand now why it is sometimes considered a utopian novel.

This book was interesting and boring for me at the same time. I expected an adventure in the style of Robinson Crusoe, which this book is completely not. Some of the things created by Swift are interesting to me, but the long passages about bad governance and human meanness were boring to me at times. And I have a degree in political science and I'm generally interested in such things.

What surprised me was the blatant satire of British politics that spares no one. I am more used to the books written in previous centuries that are usually more moderate in such views. And here the criticism is really harsh. Thinking about it now, it seems to me that this book was sometimes placed on the list of banned books. Now I fully understand why. In addition to radical criticism of government, there is also a bit of obscenity. Nothing huge but probably more than in other books from that era.

I also thought it would be one story and these are basically four separate stories put together. Of course, there are obvious similarities between them, especially between the first two. It also seems to me that the author's comments are becoming more and more vicious with each story.

I am glad that I read this book even if it turned out to be completely different than I expected. ( )
  Sarielle | Jan 15, 2020 |
Tried reading this once before and thought it was bad and couldn’t finish. Decided to give it another shot and it’s still bad. This book is insufferable. ( )
  zcoeman | Dec 5, 2019 |
Been meaning to read more 'classics', and wanted to read Gulliver since visiting the writer's museum in Dublin many moones ago. Gulliver's Travels is an interesting book - a satirical take on Britain and Europe in the early 1700s through the eyes of Gulliver himself.

Across the four journeys he makes, he visits a variety of lands, including the tiny Lilliput, the famous floating island of Laputa, and a world of "wise" horses.

The style is fairly "dry", which took a bit of getting used to having expected more of a "story", but the explanatory notes in this version of the book help to decode the satire, historical context, and Greek references which I'm generally totally ignorant of. Most of the tales seemed to be about how Gulliver is received in these societies, or about the "strange" traditions of their people.

Some places really made me laugh - there are some genuinely funny takes on, say, philosophical scientists in Laputa, and some great suggestions for how we should deal with politicians today.

Looking foward to reading it again with more understanding, and to going through the references to discover new satirical reading.

4 out of 5 for interest :)

6loss | Nov 7, 2019 |

Has the (non-series) sequel

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Inspired

Has as a student's study guide

My father had a small estate in Nottinghamshire; I was the third of five sons.
And he gave it for his opinion, "that whoever could make two ears of corn, or two blades of grass, to grow upon a spot of ground where only one grew before, would deserve better of mankind, and do more essential service to his country, than the whole race of politicians put together.”
I said there was a society of men among us, bred up from their youth in the art of proving by words multiplied for the purpose, that white is black, and black is white, according as they are paid. […] It is a maxim among these lawyers, that whatever hath been done before may legally be done again: and therefore they take special care to record all the decisions formerly made against common justice and the general reason of mankind. These, under the name of precedents, they produce as authorities, to justify the most iniquitous opinions; and the judges never fail of decreeing accordingly.
This is the main work for Gulliver's Travels. Please do not combine with any adaptation, abridgement, etc.

5 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141439491, 0140382402, 0141196645, 0141195177, 0141198982

Tantor Media

2 editions of this book were published by Tantor Media.

Editions: 1400102723, 1400109027

Urban Romantics

2 editions of this book were published by Urban Romantics.

Editions: 1909175943, 1909175390

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 146,638,063 books! | Top bar: Always visible