Voyages de Gulliver by Jonathan Swift

Voyages de Gulliver (edition 1976)

by Jonathan Swift

Member:Nuxbal
Title:Voyages de Gulliver
Authors:Jonathan Swift
Info:Gallimard (1976), Poche, 443 pages
Tags:voyage

Gulliver's Travels by Jonathan Swift (Author)

Robinson Crusoe by Daniel Defoe (infiniteletters)
    Candide by Voltaire (leigonj)
    leigonj: Two 18th century satires which chart the misfortunes of their protagonsists, here and there, across the (imagined) world.
    Mistress Masham's Repose by T. H. White (infiniteletters)
    Kappa by Ryunosuke Akutagawa (CGlanovsky)
    CGlanovsky: Visitor to a strange society that subtly satirizes his own.
    The Adventures of Tom Sawyer / The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain (chwiggy)
    The Food of the Gods, and How It Came to Earth by H. G. Wells (Hedgepeth)
    Penguin Island by Anatole France (Lapsus_Linguae)
    The Complete Stories by Franz Kafka (leigonj)
    leigonj: Kafka had Swift's book in his library and there are definite commonalities between their two writings; I'd be surprised if one had not influenced the other. (Also The Trial).
    The Golden Age by Michal Ajvaz (CGlanovsky)
    CGlanovsky: Faux travelogues of fictitious island cultures detailing the intricacies of their geography, governance, cuisine, art, etc.
    Het rondzwervende 'Vreemde' by Sigizmoend Krzizjanovski (razorsoccamremembers)
    A Pirate of Exquisite Mind: Explorer, Naturalist, and Buccaneer: The Life of William Dampier by Diana Preston (PaperbackPirate)
Read (19)

English (149)  Dutch (6)  Spanish (6)  Italian (4)  French (3)  Portuguese (2)  Swedish (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  German (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (174)
Far more interesting than I'd hoped, given how old it is. I see both why it has historically been praised, and why I'm glad to say I've read it and now never pick it up again. ( )
  jscape2000 | Jul 20, 2019 |
Got around to read this classic. Book is essentially a collection of author's imaginations on what people will do and act in different strange societies. Author imagines well on social culture and actions based on people but doesn't think through a lot on social and technological environment. All socieities - small people, monsterous people, floating people, horse people - have pretty much that distinction but rest of world - animals, plants, things and inventions - are similar to rest of normal world. Transition from one society to another, through multiple sea voyages, is fast and not dwelt much upon. Lots of people found this work of Swift to be satire on modern world, and it kind of is, but very peripheral one. For instance religion and politicians can be arbitary and foolish and that's mentioned as such without really understanding depth of things. In the end, excitement of new world goes away from readers and long monologues of narrator's experiences and discourse within those society becomes boring. It's readable but forgettable book. ( )
  ashishg | Apr 4, 2019 |
I can hardly believe I'm giving this four stars, given I found it such a challenge to get into. It is written as more travel log than novel, and while I can't fault it for this (style of the time), it kept me at emotional arm's length. Had the book started with the Houyhnhnms and ended with one of the other countries, I might have settled on three. But this last voyage was my favorite, the deepest in terms of probing human behavior, and the most affecting as Gulliver grew to love and admire the Houyhnhnms and grieve the end of his time there. All around thought-provoking, sardonic, clever. A challenge for my modern attention span but well worth the time. ( )
  AmandaGStevens | Mar 2, 2019 |
I feel cheated. I finally read 'Gulliver's Travels', as printed in the set of Windermere Readers my father had saved from childhood, and I discover that despite it not being marked as such in any way, its abridged! Damn you Eisenhower America! Oh well, if I missed a giant penis joke and a slur against Catholicism here and there I suppose I'll survive. At least I can be assured that the majority of the racism was kept intact.

Lemuel Gulliver sure was a sucker for punishment. Each voyage takes him farther from home and robs him of more of his sanity. By the end of his fourth voyage he is a recluse who, after some years, is finally allowing his wife to be in his presence. This is fierce satire. The small-minded pettiness of the Liliputians, the broad simplicity of the Brobdingnagians, the fruitless academic efforts of Laputa and the wise condescension of the Houyhnhnms sheds an unflattering light on the folly of humanity in the early 18th century - - and can still draw blood today. Don't even get him started on all of those other travel writers. Pure rubbish, only here are you going to get real, honest depictions of life elsewhere.

Even with the abridgement cutting out, at the very least, the physical comedy of the novel, I was still entertained by the first two parts. I don't know if anything could save the third part with its scattered focus and long-winded examples of misplaced scholarly effort, immortality, classical heroes, etc. I liked how Swift kept Gulliver as a fallible human. There wasn't a pitfall he missed - he couldn't help himself. The Houyhnhnms were a little insufferable but that's the problem of perfection, or perhaps the point, after the essential fact of the perfection there's nothing left worth remarking about. ( )
  ManWithAnAgenda | Feb 18, 2019 |
I really struggled with the syntax. This is a lively story packed with irony, sarcasm and the dissection of what it means to be human. The fantasy of the tale(s) is the device for revealing the absurdity of our thinking and behavior. It is very effective and evokes shame, embarrassment, frustration and quite a few laughs. It is an old book so the perspectives the author takes for granted, now almost three hundred years later, reveal some irony too. Most of the book however is still quite poignant. ( )
  DonaldPowell | Feb 5, 2019 |

Has the (non-series) sequel

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Inspired

Has as a student's study guide

My father had a small estate in Nottinghamshire; I was the third of five sons.
And he gave it for his opinion, "that whoever could make two ears of corn, or two blades of grass, to grow upon a spot of ground where only one grew before, would deserve better of mankind, and do more essential service to his country, than the whole race of politicians put together.”
I said there was a society of men among us, bred up from their youth in the art of proving by words multiplied for the purpose, that white is black, and black is white, according as they are paid. […] It is a maxim among these lawyers, that whatever hath been done before may legally be done again: and therefore they take special care to record all the decisions formerly made against common justice and the general reason of mankind. These, under the name of precedents, they produce as authorities, to justify the most iniquitous opinions; and the judges never fail of decreeing accordingly.
This is the main work for Gulliver's Travels. Please do not combine with any adaptation, abridgement, etc.

Shipwrecked castaway Lemuel Gulliver’s encounters with the petty, diminutive Lilliputians, the crude giants of Brobdingnag, the abstracted scientists of Laputa, the philosophical Houyhnhnms, and the brutish Yahoos give him new, bitter insights into human behavior. Swift’s fantastic and subversive book remains supremely relevant in our own age of distortion, hypocrisy, and irony.

@LittleBigMan Awoke in an unfamiliar land. The boat and my crew are gone. Oh dear, the people here are very small. Oops. Sorry about that.

I don’t mean to boast; I’m not a terribly tall man. But these people of Lilliput are the size of child’s Johnson. Still, they have captured me.

I have become a great favorite of the Lilliputian court, whose antics are like an adorable tiny version King George’s, the blithering idiot.

From Twitterature: The World's Greatest Books in Twenty Tweets or Less

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:02:19 -0400)

The unusual voyages of Englishman Lemuel Gulliver carry him to such strange locales as Lilliput, where the inhabitants are six inches tall; Brobdingnag, a land of giants; an island of sorcerers; and a nation ruled by horses.

5 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141439491, 0140382402, 0141196645, 0141195177, 0141198982

Tantor Media

2 editions of this book were published by Tantor Media.

Editions: 1400102723, 1400109027

Urban Romantics

An edition of this book was published by Urban Romantics.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,499,048 books! | Top bar: Always visible