Gulliver's Travels (Dover Thrift…

Gulliver's Travels (Dover Thrift Editions) (original 1726; edition 1996)

by Jonathan Swift

Member:olgunm
Title:Gulliver's Travels (Dover Thrift Editions)
Authors:Jonathan Swift
Info:Dover Publications (1996), Edition: Unabridged, Paperback, 240 pages
Rating:***1/2

Gulliver's Travels by Jonathan Swift (1726)

Robinson Crusoe by Daniel Defoe (infiniteletters)
    Mistress Masham's Repose by T. H. White (infiniteletters)
    Kappa by Ryūnosuke Akutagawa (CGlanovsky)
    CGlanovsky: Visitor to a strange society that subtly satirizes his own.
    The Adventures of Tom Sawyer / The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain (chwiggy)
    Candide by Voltaire (leigonj)
    leigonj: Two 18th century satires which chart the misfortunes of their protagonsists, here and there, across the (imagined) world.
    The Complete Stories by Franz Kafka (leigonj)
    leigonj: Kafka had Swift's book in his library and there are definite commonalities between their two writings; I'd be surprised if one had not influenced the other. (Also The Trial).
    The Golden Age by Michal Ajvaz (CGlanovsky)
    CGlanovsky: Faux travelogues of fictitious island cultures detailing the intricacies of their geography, governance, cuisine, art, etc.
    A Pirate of Exquisite Mind: Explorer, Naturalist, and Buccaneer: The Life of William Dampier by Diana Preston (PaperbackPirate)

English (126)  Dutch (4)  French (3)  Spanish (2)  Italian (2)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Portuguese (1)  Swedish (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Catalan (1)  German (1)  All languages (143)
I feel I am doing Swift's novel an injustice by giving it only three stars, as it is for the most part a rather splendid early work of high fantasy and biting political satire. The reason for the somewhat lower rating is due to the way Swift chose to describe certain things about the fantastical lands which Gulliver visited. The satirical aspect of this novel is very evident and at times incredibly funny if you know your history, but certain parts of the novel in which Gulliver is relating facts about Britain to the people he comes into contact with can come across as very dry and boring, with Swift frequently descending into lists of things which can go on for pages and pages. The other aspect which is responsible for the lower rating is the very scientific and exacting manner in which some of the locales and customs are described, with the language occasionally becoming hard to bear and somewhat sleep inducing in these particular cases. I am aware that the aforementioned issues are simply markers which firmly establish Gulliver as a novel of the enlightenment, and my displeasure at these points makes me feel fortunate indeed that the romantics largely put an end to such dry writing. These small grievances do not however detract from 'Gulliver's Travels' being an important and influential work of fiction and political satire, and it is still most certainly worth reading; just be aware that the use of language can sometimes become a tad uninspired. ( )
  hickey92 | Jan 24, 2016 |
Swift pokes fun of everyone and everything in England and Europe: government, tastes, manners, religion, conflict, and finally and fully himself. The story gets a little stale toward the end, the satire more pointed, less obtuse, and the repetition of the inadequacies of man become old. And as with most satire, only the negative is portrayed, except of course, when the author is poking fun at himself. ( )
  memlhd | Jan 23, 2016 |
  memlhd | Jan 23, 2016 |
I must admit that this book wasn’t on my ‘radar’ and I don’t suppose I’d have read it if it wasn’t for reading T H White’s Mistress Masham’s Repose, which features the Lilliputians. This book has been popular from the time it was first published. I think that originally it was considered to be a children’s book but like Mistress Masham’s Repose, I can’t see it appealing to huge numbers of today’s children, but of course, I could be wrong.

I enjoyed the first two sections but for me the book went downhill after then. I wouldn’t say I hated the last two sections but I was rather glad to get to the end of the book! I was amused that there was quite a lot of ‘toilet humour’ in the book, considering when it was first published. Overall quite an enjoyable read but it didn’t really live up to expectations. ( )
  Bagpuss | Jan 17, 2016 |
For those of you who be all, like, "What? You never read Gulliver's Travels?", the answer is yes, and that's exactly why I've embarked on reading the 1,001 Books I Need to Read Before I die. It will help me catch up on much of what was not mandatory on my poor educational track. Besides, I get to experience so much with fresh eyes, that I actually feel I prefer it, in a way. I found the book thoroughly interesting, and it appealed to my peripatetic nature and my natural curiosity for differences and similarities between cultures. As for what exactly Swift was satirizing, I have no idea. I don't know the politics of his time and region. The book was good enough without pondering all that. ( )
  MartinBodek | Oct 21, 2015 |

Is retold in

Has the (non-series) sequel

Has the adaptation

Inspired

Has as a student's study guide

My father had a small estate in Nottinghamshire; I was the third of five sons.
This is the main work for Gulliver's Travels. Please do not combine with any adaptation, abridgement, etc.

Shipwrecked castaway Lemuel Gulliver’s encounters with the petty, diminutive Lilliputians, the crude giants of Brobdingnag, the abstracted scientists of Laputa, the philosophical Houyhnhnms, and the brutish Yahoos give him new, bitter insights into human behavior. Swift’s fantastic and subversive book remains supremely relevant in our own age of distortion, hypocrisy, and irony.

@LittleBigMan Awoke in an unfamiliar land. The boat and my crew are gone. Oh dear, the people here are very small. Oops. Sorry about that.

I don’t mean to boast; I’m not a terribly tall man. But these people of Lilliput are the size of child’s Johnson. Still, they have captured me.

I have become a great favorite of the Lilliputian court, whose antics are like an adorable tiny version King George’s, the blithering idiot.

From Twitterature: The World's Greatest Books in Twenty Tweets or Less

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:02:19 -0400)

The unusual voyages of Englishman Lemuel Gulliver carry him to such strange locales as Lilliput, where the inhabitants are six inches tall; Brobdingnag, a land of giants; an island of sorcerers; and a nation ruled by horses.

6 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141439491, 0140382402, 0451531132, 0141196645, 0141195177, 0141198982

Candlewick Press

2 editions of this book were published by Candlewick Press.

Editions: 0763624098, 0763647403

Tantor Media

2 editions of this book were published by Tantor Media.

Editions: 1400102723, 1400109027

Urban Romantics

An edition of this book was published by Urban Romantics.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,191,449 books! | Top bar: Always visible