The Man Called CASH: The Life, Love and…

The Man Called CASH: The Life, Love and Faith of an American Legend

by Steve Turner

I really enjoyed this biography of Johnny Cash. I learned a lot of things about him that I never knew. This was an "authorized" biography, but was quite frank about Cash's faults -- the long-time amphetamine addiction that fueled wild and destructive behavior; his responsibility for the breakup of his first marriage. The author's admiration for Cash as a person and a musician was obvious, however.

I was surprised how deeply the book delved into Cash's faith. I guess I shouldn't have been surprised, as it was clearly quite central to his life (even present in the rough times when he wasn't really living by it). Cash had the humble faith of a man who knew he'd seriously messed up many times in his life, and was aware of how much he'd been forgiven -- by God and by those around him, who he put through hell in his drug-using days. This awareness fueled his concern for those whom society often scorned -- prisoners, addicts, alcoholics.

I do question the format of the book. It began near the end of his life -- at the time of his wife June's death -- and then went back to the beginning of his life. After the life story was done, there was a lengthy chapter of analysis. Some of this I liked and found enlightening, and some of it felt like overkill, hammering points already made in the telling of Cash's life.

Overall, I really liked this book; I listened to it on audio, and thought the audio was well done. ( )
1 vote tymfos | Jan 17, 2013 |
Includes biographical references
  hgcslibrary | Nov 29, 2009 |
very good book about Johnny Cash. My only complaint is that the author introduces new people into the story and quotes them, but it's sometimes hard to tell who said what. So you have to go back and double check who's talking. ( )
  JohnMarkInman | Dec 3, 2005 |

Johnny Cash is one of the most influential figures in music and American popular culture today. While he was an icon to people of all ages during his life, Cash's legacy continues after his death. His remarkable story is captured in this exclusive authorized biography, addressing the whole life of Johnny Cash-not just his unforgettable music but also his relationship with June Carter Cash and his faith in Christ. His authenticity, love for God and family, and unassuming persona are what Steve Turner captures with passion and focus in this inspiring book.

Different from other books written about him, The Man Called CASH brings Cash's faith and love for God into the foreground and tells the story of a man redeemed, without watering-down or sugar-coating. Unquestionably one of the biggest book releases of 2004, The Man Called CASH will be a huge success with his millions of fans and will draw in many new fans with this inspiring story of faith and redemption.

The audio book, ISBN 084996377X, is narrated by Cash's close friend and musical partner, Kris Kristofferson.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:30:56 -0400)

Chronicles the life and career of American country music star Johnny Cash and examines his early childhood, military service, problems with drug addiction and the law, and how he turned his life around.

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,252,988 books! | Top bar: Always visible