Legacy of Ashes: The History of the CIA (2007)

by Tim Weiner

Here is the hidden history of the CIA: why eleven presidents and three generations of CIA officers have been unable to understand the world; why nearly every CIA director has left the agency in worse shape than he found it; and how these failures have profoundly jeopardized our national security. For sixty years, the CIA has managed to maintain a formidable reputation in spite of its terrible record, burying its blunders in top-secret archives. Its mission was to know the world--when it did not succeed, it set out to change the world instead. Now Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist Weiner offers the first definitive history of the CIA, based on more than 50,000 documents, primarily from the archives of the CIA itself, and hundreds of interviews with CIA veterans, including ten Directors of Central Intelligence.--From publisher description.… (more)
    Confessions of an Economic Hit Man by John M. Perkins (thatwordnerd)
    thatwordnerd: Many similar themes in both books (i.e. meddling with foreign states that refuse to play nice).

English (42)  Dutch (1)  German (1)  Finnish (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (46)
History of the CIA. Not a pretty picture - ethics aren't in play. ( )
  addunn3 | Dec 19, 2020 |
Must read for any American. Then read some reviews, read the cia.gov apologia, but this is a devastating history of which we are all responsible. ( )
  tmph | Sep 13, 2020 |
An impressively comprehensive history that somehow manages to be eminently readable and easy-to-follow.

This is a history to terrify us. The abject failure of American intelligence gathering from beginning to end boggles the mind. It sheds light on a heretofore largely unknown perspective on the history of America and its role on the world stage from the conclusion of World War II to our most recent war in Iraq.

I'm anxious to see if this book gets a new release in the next few years with updated information. We've seen almost another decade pass since it was written - it only covers through 2005. It would be useful to know what's happened since then. ( )
  johnthelibrarian | Aug 11, 2020 |
If you liked this book you probably were happy Donald Trump won the election. But the author doesn't seem to be. After all the stupid things the CIA did as described in this book you would think the author would like the first anti-CIA anti-globalist president. ( )
  JoeHamilton | Jul 21, 2020 |
This is a facinating account of the history of the CIA. I learned a lot about actions of the US government over the past 60 years. It is a sad account of our intelligence agency and our executive branch including presidential decisions. The author has conducted significant research and provides the information in an informative and interesting methodology. I strongly recommend this book for a better understanding of our government. ( )
  GlennBell | Mar 22, 2020 |

Tim Weinerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Berg, Corrie van denTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Kate, Emma, and Ruby
All Harry Truman wanted was a newspaper.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141033169, 0241956234

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 154,493,591 books! | Top bar: Always visible