Legacy of Ashes: The History of the CIA by…

Legacy of Ashes: The History of the CIA (2007)

by Tim Weiner

Recently added byBatSands, private library, Oryphany, baudano01, castlen, michaelrpalmer, king_ghidra, bookisheyre

English (35)  Dutch (1)  Finnish (1)  German (1)  All (38)
Even though I have given this book 4 stars, I must confess I didn't manage to finish it. Don't get me wrong: it is very well written, the research has been thorough, and Weiner is certainly a very skilled journalist. That's why his work deserves 4 stars or more, and it is a book I would recommend to anyone.
But the story he tells, all that incompetence presented in black and white, was just making my blood boil. I realised I was reading it with a knot in my stomach and my eyebrow frown, so I chose to leave it aside for a while and haven't taken it up again.
  Tacuazin | Feb 28, 2018 |
The history of the CIA
  jhawn | Jul 31, 2017 |
Just looked this over
  Baku-X | Jan 10, 2017 |
This is a book worth reading if you are interested in understanding the misguided foreign policy of the United States since WWII and the major role the CIA played in it.

The book starts at the end of WWII and ends around 2007. Although many of the events described would be known to people that follow politics and foreign affairs, the book is based on documents that have been declassified up to 2007 and on personal interviews with CIA officers still alive. For those old enough to have lived through many of these events, the book reveals that actually things were much worse than we thought at the time. The incompetence, idiocy, illegality and fanatical obsession, with communism of those who run the CIA and their bosses (i.e., the various presidents) is so infuriating that I could not read more than 10 pages at the time.

It is really ironic that the country that acts as the world leader and promoter of democracy and its ideals would operate agencies that act in a totally undemocratic way not only against the citizens of other countries, if their decisions are seen as threatening to mostly fictional American interests, but also against its own citizens and their elected representatives. ( )
  Alex1952 | Jun 21, 2016 |
Solid readable history about the good and bad of the CIA. Mostly the bad and stupid moves they have made over the years. ( )
  ndpmcIntosh | Mar 21, 2016 |

Tim Weinerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Berg, Corrie van denTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Kate, Emma, and Ruby
All Harry Truman wanted was a newspaper.

With shocking revelations that made headlines in papers across the country, Pulitzer-Prize-winner Tim Weiner gets at the truth behind the CIA and uncovers here why nearly every CIA Director has left the agency in worse shape than when he found it; and how these profound failures jeopardize our national security.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:38 -0400)

Traces the history of the CIA, drawing on thousands of documents to explore how the agency was created, why it has so often failed in its missions, how it is viewed by Americans and the rest of the world, and other related topics.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141033169, 0241956234

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,456,648 books! | Top bar: Always visible