Cat's Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut

Cat's Cradle (1963)

by Kurt Vonnegut

English (164)  Italian (1)  French (1)  Swedish (1)  Catalan (1)  Hebrew (1)  All languages (169)
Still ranks high on my list of fantastic books. I don't recall when I last read this, but I do know that, when I first read it in highschool, I must have missed quite a bit of the subtlety and irony in this. Now I know that I have to revisit all of Vonnegut's works. ( )
  tlockney | Sep 7, 2014 |
This was a really good book! Weird, as Vonnegut always is, but poignant too. He makes his points really well, and the book is a really fast and interesting read. Towards the end it really gets...touching, even moving, without losing its sense of the absurd, or becoming any less entertaining. Excellent book. ( )
  sammii507 | Aug 19, 2014 |
I just couldn't get into this book at all. Stopped reading 70 pages in as its not worth my time when there are so many other good books. ( )
  BookReaderHere | Jul 27, 2014 |
A few years ago, the remark that Kurt Vonnegut is over-rated and that he would never have become such a famed author had he been born in Europe, unleashed the ire of the Americans I had lunch with. While they were not particularly known for their reading habits, it seemed they considered my comment as a head-on attack on American culture. Like Helene Hanff, Vonnegut is a second-rate, B-writer whose fame rests mainly on American pride.

Cat's cradle has now appeared in the Penguin Modern Classics series, which may well be taken as a tribute. Vonnegut's writing does not seem to have its equal in other American authors, but his style is vaguely reminiscent to some psychedelic Dutch authors who wrote during the 1960s and 70s, such as Ward Ruyslinck.

Vonnegut seems the be the type, to have possibly written his novels, particularly Cat's cradle, under the influence of some psychedelic stimulant. Given the paranoia in the Land of Freedom to admitting as much, we will supposedly never know, but admission could explain the incoherent structure of the novel.

Cat's cradle seemed quite interesting for about the first 50+ pages, but then disintegrated into a lot of twaddle, of which it was impossible to connect head and tail.

Best soon to be forgotten, or not picked up at all. ( )
  edwinbcn | Jul 14, 2014 |
Video

"Cat's Cradle" is an irreverent and often highly entertaining fantasy concerning the playful irresponsibility of nuclear scientists. Like the best of contemporary satire, it is work of a far more engaging and meaningful order than the melodramatic tripe which most critics seem to consider "serious."

Vonnegut, Kurtprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
House, JulianCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kapari, MarjattaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kunkel, BenjaminIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pelham, DavidCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Nothing in this book is true.
'Live by the foma* that make you brave and kind and healthy and happy.'
The Books of Bokonon. I:5
*harmless untruths
For Kenneth Littauer

a man of gallantry and taste.
Call me Jonah.
"No wonder kids grow up crazy. A cat's cradle is nothing but a bunch of X's between somebody's hands, and little kids look and look and look at all those X's..."
"And?"
"No damn cat, and no damn cradle."

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 038533348X, Paperback)

Cat's Cradle, one of Vonnegut's most entertaining novels, is filled with scientists and G-men and even ordinary folks caught up in the game. These assorted characters chase each other around in search of the world's most important and dangerous substance, a new form of ice that freezes at room temperature. At one time, this novel could probably be found on the bookshelf of every college kid in America; it's still a fabulous read and a great place to start if you're young enough to have missed the first Vonnegut craze.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:27:01 -0400)

A satirical science fiction novel.

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Three editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141189347, 0141045442, 0241951607

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,966,102 books! | Top bar: Always visible