Cat's Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut

Cat's Cradle (1963)

by Kurt Vonnegut

English (165)  Italian (1)  French (1)  Swedish (1)  Catalan (1)  Hebrew (1)  All languages (170)
I'm still unsure about how much I like this book as it is very strange. It explores how scientists make discoveries without caring where the technology will lead, religion, dictatorships and all sorts of issues that affected the world in the 1960s. It was a very witty read, but I found the short chapters distracting and would like to have seen more made of the ice-9. ( )
  martensgirl | Oct 14, 2014 |
This was a great read...as are most of Vonnegut's. My English teacher once mentioned that everyone that reads just one of KV's books, goes thru a phase that just tears thru his other novels. I did not tear thru them, but it was not because i did not want to, but more because at the time i was financially restricted, and didnt want to go to my library. Regardless, Cat's Cradle was the first i read, and the whole concept of Ice-9, as it was presented in a technical sense but also with very real consequences, to keep it grounded was amazing. To think a book about impending doom, and a so called Doomsday device, could actually be about just a small molecule was quite the read as a high schooler. ( )
  T4NK | Sep 30, 2014 |
Still ranks high on my list of fantastic books. I don't recall when I last read this, but I do know that, when I first read it in highschool, I must have missed quite a bit of the subtlety and irony in this. Now I know that I have to revisit all of Vonnegut's works. ( )
  tlockney | Sep 7, 2014 |
This was a really good book! Weird, as Vonnegut always is, but poignant too. He makes his points really well, and the book is a really fast and interesting read. Towards the end it really gets...touching, even moving, without losing its sense of the absurd, or becoming any less entertaining. Excellent book. ( )
  sammii507 | Aug 19, 2014 |
Video

"Cat's Cradle" is an irreverent and often highly entertaining fantasy concerning the playful irresponsibility of nuclear scientists. Like the best of contemporary satire, it is work of a far more engaging and meaningful order than the melodramatic tripe which most critics seem to consider "serious."

Vonnegut, Kurtprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
House, JulianCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kapari, MarjattaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kunkel, BenjaminIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pelham, DavidCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Nothing in this book is true.
'Live by the foma* that make you brave and kind and healthy and happy.'
The Books of Bokonon. I:5
*harmless untruths
For Kenneth Littauer

a man of gallantry and taste.
Call me Jonah.
"No wonder kids grow up crazy. A cat's cradle is nothing but a bunch of X's between somebody's hands, and little kids look and look and look at all those X's..."
"And?"
"No damn cat, and no damn cradle."

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 038533348X, Paperback)

Cat's Cradle, one of Vonnegut's most entertaining novels, is filled with scientists and G-men and even ordinary folks caught up in the game. These assorted characters chase each other around in search of the world's most important and dangerous substance, a new form of ice that freezes at room temperature. At one time, this novel could probably be found on the bookshelf of every college kid in America; it's still a fabulous read and a great place to start if you're young enough to have missed the first Vonnegut craze.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:27:01 -0400)

A satirical science fiction novel.

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Three editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141189347, 0141045442, 0241951607

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,377,494 books! | Top bar: Always visible