Check out the Valentine’s Day Heart Hunt!

Cat's Cradle by Kurt Jr. Vonnegut

Cat's Cradle (original 1963; edition 1973)

by Kurt Jr. Vonnegut

Member:emily_morine
Title:Cat's Cradle
Authors:Kurt Jr. Vonnegut
Info:Dell (1973), Edition: 28th printing, Mass Market Paperback
Tags:20thcentury, american, scifi, classic, menandwomen, america, authority, breakingthelaw, apocalypse, sex, sexuality, religion, travel, firstperson, influential, xy

Cat's Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut (1963)

Recently added byjluis1984, Moytuk, RyanSem, rena75, logos-nomos, private library, quintonk1115, missjudgment, RoyCazier, marbas
Legacy LibrariesWalker Percy
1960s (36)
Satire (14)
Read (42)

English (215)  Catalan (2)  Italian (1)  French (1)  Swedish (1)  Hebrew (1)  All languages (221)
Fantástica, delirante y enviciante.
Totalmente recomendable ( )
  maxtrek | Jan 30, 2019 |
Each Vonnegut book I have read is similarly the same, but still manages to be about something completely different. Cat’s Cradle is about Jonah, a writer working on a book about what people were doing when the atomic bomb was dropped. It eventually starts an obsession with the Hoenikker family, a brilliant scientist father and the absent minded inventor of the atomic bomb, the oldest daughter, who gave up her life to raise her siblings, the middle son, a misfit, only good for at model making, and the youngest, always treated as a child and a dwarf. The whole book is tied together by a religion called “Bokanism”, a belief that every person Is part of a larger group that has a purpose. What that purpose is, no one knows, but it is fated.

So what is this book about... I don’t know. Maybe the end of the world can’t be prevented, it that people will always do what they feel is write, or maybe it’s a statement about the futility of war. Or maybe it is whatever a reader takes out of it. Regardless, it’s a great book. ( )
  TheDivineOomba | Dec 16, 2018 |
Definitely interesting. The whole idea of Bokononism intrigued me.

I wish we'd found out the main characters last name. I mean, they said it was on the freaking tombstone, but I never got told what was on the freaking tombstone, which annoyed me.

I don't get, um, Mona. I just... I didn't get it.

I feel like a lot this book kinda went right over my head. Like, there was I should've gotten but I didn't. I don't entirely understand why this story was told in this way. Maybe I should've read it with a lit class or something rather than on my own.

The whole apocalypse thing came up very quickly and was never really resolved either, which kind of leaves me sitting, waiting for an explanation... that I'm never gonna get. I want to know what going on around the rest of the world, but I'm not getting told.

Also, I wonder how the Soviet Union even knew about the ice-nine to send Zinka for it.

I'm just leaving this book very confused about lots of things. ( )
  Monica_P | Nov 22, 2018 |
Is this where the germ of an idea for Moon over Parador came from ? who knows? A surrealist collision between invention, a band of unlikely characters and a few very antithetical assumptions about leadership, progress, religion and social mores - does anyone know if this story or these characters have ever been taken up as a stage play ? ( )
  nkmunn | Nov 17, 2018 |
Deeply cynical commentary on life, religion, and politics. Don't read for a pick-me-up, but highly well-written. ( )
  KatelynSBolds | Nov 12, 2018 |
"Cat's Cradle" is an irreverent and often highly entertaining fantasy concerning the playful irresponsibility of nuclear scientists. Like the best of contemporary satire, it is work of a far more engaging and meaningful order than the melodramatic tripe which most critics seem to consider "serious."

Vonnegut, Kurtprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Curtoni, VittorioTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
House, JulianCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kapari, MarjattaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kunkel, BenjaminIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pelham, DavidCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Roberts, TonyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vezzoli, DelfinaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Nothing in this book is true.
'Live by the foma* that make you brave and kind and healthy and happy.'
The Books of Bokonon. I:5
*harmless untruths
For Kenneth Littauer

a man of gallantry and taste.
Call me Jonah.
"No wonder kids grow up crazy. A cat's cradle is nothing but a bunch of X's between somebody's hands, and little kids look and look and look at all those X's..."
"And?"
"No damn cat, and no damn cradle."
'Aamons, Mona', the index said, 'adopted by
Monzano in order to boost Monzano's
popularity, 194-199, 216n; childhood in com
pound of House of Hope and Mercy, 63-81;
childhood romance with P. Castle, 72f; death of father, 89ff; death of mother, 92f; embarrassed
by role as national erotic symbol, 80, 95, 166n.,
209, 247n., 400-406, 566n., 678; engaged to P.
Castle, 193; essential naivete, 67-71, 80, 95f,
116n., 209, 274n., 400-406, 566n., 678; lives with
Bokonon, 92-98, 196-197; poems about, 2n., 26,
114, 119, 311, 316, 477n., 501, 507, 555n., 689,
718ff, 799ff, 800n., 841, 846ff, 908n., 971, 974;
poems by, 89, 92, 193; returns to Monzano, 199?
returns to Bokonon, 197; runs away from
Bokonon, 199; runs away from Monzano, 197;
tries to make self ugly in order to stop being
erotic symbol to islanders, 80, 95f, 116n., 209,
247n., 400-406, 566n., 678; tutored by Bokonon,
63-80; writes letter to United Nations, 200;
xylophone virtuoso, 71'.
I showed this index entry to

In Vonnegut's satirical commentary on modern man and his madness. An apocalyptic tale of this planet's ultimate fate, it features a midget as the protagonist; a complete, original theology created by a calypso singer; and a vision of the future that is at once blackly fatalistic and hilariously funny. A book that left an indelible mark on an entire generation of readers, Cat's Cradle is one of this century's most important works...and Vonnegut at his very best.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 038533348X, Paperback)

Cat's Cradle, one of Vonnegut's most entertaining novels, is filled with scientists and G-men and even ordinary folks caught up in the game. These assorted characters chase each other around in search of the world's most important and dangerous substance, a new form of ice that freezes at room temperature. At one time, this novel could probably be found on the bookshelf of every college kid in America; it's still a fabulous read and a great place to start if you're young enough to have missed the first Vonnegut craze.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:04 -0400)

A satirical science fiction novel.

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141189347, 0141045442, 0241951607

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,485,290 books! | Top bar: Always visible