Cat's Cradle (Kurt Vonnegut Series) by Kurt…

Cat's Cradle (Kurt Vonnegut Series) (original 1963; edition 2010)

by Kurt Vonnegut

14,604None135 (4.13)237
Member:sbrobertson
Title:Cat's Cradle (Kurt Vonnegut Series)
Authors:Kurt Vonnegut
Info:RosettaBooks (2010), Kindle Edition, 306 pages

Cat's Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut (1963)

1001 books (46) 20th century (106) American (141) American literature (184) apocalypse (133) apocalyptic (35) Bokononism (38) classic (130) classics (90) dystopia (116) ebook (49) end of the world (50) fantasy (51) fiction (1,567) humor (218) Kurt Vonnegut (46) literature (155) novel (237) own (66) paperback (39) read (239) religion (108) satire (344) science fiction (899) sf (114) sff (39) speculative fiction (39) to-read (128) unread (68) Vonnegut (122)

English (152)  Italian (1)  French (1)  Swedish (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (156)
This was a MUCH better story than the first book I read by the author, & I'm glad I took the chance on reading it. Without giving too much away, a journalist decides to write a book on a man who worked on the atom bomb. Through a strange series of events, he finds himself on the tiny island of San Lorenzo with an odd cast of characters. Bokonon is the "mad priest", who invented his own religion, & represents good. "Papa" is the island's king, emperor, dictator, ultimate ruler, what have you, & represents evil. The man who he originally wanted to write the book about has died, & the missing son has become the second in command of the ruler Papa. However, the scientist also experimented with freezing properties before he died, & created a rather vicious thing called ice nine. The properties of ice nine, as revealed in the book, are frightening, & seemed even more frightening to me because the transmission seems plausible when he describes it.

This book has more twists & turns in it's short cover to cover span than the Autobahn, & it's very entertaining reading as well.

Remember this phrase though, you'll see it pop up..."see the cat? See the cradle?" ( )
  Lisa.Johnson.James | Apr 10, 2014 |
A weird and wonderful read! The main character starts the story trying to write a book about the atom bomb and somehow along the way becomes president of a small island! Quite a tale! Throw in some ice-9 and it's a recipe for disaster! Crazy enough to make me want to become a Bokononist! "No damn cat, and no damn cradle." ( )
1 vote Stahl-Ricco | Jan 3, 2014 |
An unnamed narrator begins working on a book about one of the father's of the atomic bomb (in this case, a fictional person). In the course of doing so, he meets the man's three unusual children and uncovers an even more dangerous creation by the scientist.

This book was the first one by Vonnegut I've read, and I really enjoyed it. The short chapters and the tongue-in-cheek humor made it a very quick read. However, all that humor belied a very serious moral tale, which gives the reader plenty of food for thought after reading this book. I very much recommend it for fans of sci-fi and/or dark humor. ( )
  sweetiegherkin | Dec 9, 2013 |
For many years this was my favorite book, but now as I have grown I wish this was written when Vonnegut was a little older. It is something very interesting and funny. While it is thought provoking it would be nice if the story wasn't so two-D. Many interesting visuals in this book. One of the few endings I like. ( )
  geniemagik | Dec 5, 2013 |
This was a good read, but not great. I really enjoyed it once I got into it, but it took a while for me to really get into the story. I much prefer some of Vonnegut's other books. ( )
  Drmeghollis | Dec 4, 2013 |
Video

"Cat's Cradle" is an irreverent and often highly entertaining fantasy concerning the playful irresponsibility of nuclear scientists. Like the best of contemporary satire, it is work of a far more engaging and meaningful order than the melodramatic tripe which most critics seem to consider "serious."

Vonnegut, Kurtprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
House, JulianCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kapari, MarjattaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kunkel, BenjaminIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pelham, DavidCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Nothing in this book is true.
'Live by the foma* that make you brave and kind and healthy and happy.'
The Books of Bokonon. I:5
*harmless untruths
For Kenneth Littauer

a man of gallantry and taste.
Call me Jonah.
"No wonder kids grow up crazy. A cat's cradle is nothing but a bunch of X's between somebody's hands, and little kids look and look and look at all those X's..."
"And?"
"No damn cat, and no damn cradle."

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 038533348X, Paperback)

Cat's Cradle, one of Vonnegut's most entertaining novels, is filled with scientists and G-men and even ordinary folks caught up in the game. These assorted characters chase each other around in search of the world's most important and dangerous substance, a new form of ice that freezes at room temperature. At one time, this novel could probably be found on the bookshelf of every college kid in America; it's still a fabulous read and a great place to start if you're young enough to have missed the first Vonnegut craze.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:27:01 -0400)

A satirical science fiction novel.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Three editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141189347, 0141045442, 0241951607

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,426,349 books! | Top bar: Always visible