Hear the Wind Sing by Haruki Murakami

Hear the Wind Sing

by Haruki Murakami

Series: The Rat (1)

English (14)  German (1)  All languages (15)
Murakami's debut effort. It's only recently been translated and released to take advantage of Murakami's popularity in the English-speaking market. Lovers of Murakami will recognize his deceptively simple writing style, strong dialogue, and less-than-linear plot progression. A young, nameless narrator recounts his early college years and friendship with a friend strangely named Rat. ( )
  michigantrumpet | Aug 28, 2017 |
I read that this book is going to be retranslated and republished in English. I don't know what urged me to finally read it. I remember why! It's because of the reading bingo challenge of RandomHouse haha.
This book is like peeking a bit on Murakami's massive world of surrealism and imagination. His style evolved. ( )
  phoibee | Apr 23, 2017 |
have ebook version
  velvetink | Mar 31, 2013 |

Perfect example of beauty in simplicity!

Even after having read a bunch of novels by Murakami, I always find a new flavor in each of them. Sure they have some similar characters and recurring themes, but each of his novels does have a different note in its voice and a different mood.

Hear the Wind Sing again has a nameless narrator, quirky characters, off-the-wall dialogue, lots of beer, some music and some literature. His characters are the last people one would expect to break into an emotional monologue. And yet Murakami brings out the sense of sadness and loneliness that lurks beneath the nonchalant exterior very well. Where this sadness emanates from, they know not. And their stories have often to do with finding themselves.

Not surprisingly, there is no single straight-forward storyline. What we see are little anecdotes describing various images swimming in the narrator's head, his experiences over a summer and some of his past memories. However, the narrator doesn't yet take a flight to the world beyond. That will have to wait till later books.

Both this and [b:Pinball, 1973|591978|Pinball, 1973|Haruki Murakami|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1279373805s/591978.jpg|290859] do feel somewhat incomplete and aimless. But they give a clear picture of the humble beginnings, which with later novels matured into stronger works. Pinball, 1973 is more of a prelude to what came later on. It carries a glimpse of almost all of the familiar Murakami elements. Hear the Wind Sing is relatively simpler. This simplicity really works for it and makes it an even more pleasurable read than Pinball, 1973.

I wish there were a way for me to see how his mind works. Well, however it works, what comes out of it is wonderful.
_______________________

I can't believe how super-tiny this book is. Lighter, smaller, thinner and cuter than kindle/nook/kobo or what have you.

My copy arrived in the mail today. The seller had even gift-wrapped it in a beautiful paper! ( )
  HearTheWindSing | Mar 30, 2013 |
Pretty good for a first book. More novella than novel, it reads like a series of overheard conversations and introduces a few of the themes that appear in later works: Wild Sheep Chase (of course), Wind Up Bird and Hard-boiled Wonderland. Definitely worth tracking down if you think highly of Murakami. ( )
  missizicks | Mar 30, 2013 |
"There's no such thing as perfect writing. Just like there's no such thing as perfect despair."

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,999,191 books! | Top bar: Always visible